IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 STi and I want to upgrade the sounds..

My price range is probably between 1,000-1300

I mostly listen to Rock, Metal, Alternative, Punk, Rap.. pretty much everything except for Country and Jazz types of music.

I want something that hits hard and has good bass.. my boy got a sweet system in his Evo but payed like 1700.. thats a little out of my range for sounds..

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I would upgrade the front speakers with MB Quartz or the Polks. I have the polks and the sound is perfect. Huge upgrade with the amp. As for bass, I only went with a 10" because I didn't want a ton but enough. And believe me, its enough for our cars. BTW, I went with polk all the way around with a polk momo sub as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
with a budget like that i would do better than mb quarts.. try focal or cdt for the fronts.. as for subs theres soo much out there tha will get the job i like jl w6s.. are u goin to install this urself? or u paying someone to do it cause in that case just forget about what i just listed... ull definatly need dynomat thats for sure

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
i think focal or cdt is also a great idea, the cdt's are supposed to be great value for money. I would get an amp to power the front speakers, have the head unit (alpine makes great head units) power the rears, then you'll need a sub, and enclosure for the sub and a amp for the sub. JL makes good subs but they are on the more expensive side.

·
9,936 Posts
USMCrecon said:
JL subs are top quality, but yea you get what you pay for. You should prob look at alpines, they are more in your price range, as for speakers, maybe some boston speakers
i would def disagree, JL subs are not top quality. they are great subs, but you can get subs that are just as good for cheaper. And there are far better subs out there (they cost more money though).

·
9,936 Posts
USMCrecon said:
jls are a great sub man, they hit, and they hit solid, and as far as my experience go, they really hold up. sure there is always the super exspensive setup, but i think with JL you get your money out of them. but thats why i mentioned alpines because they are a bit cheaper and do a great job as well
i guess it all depends on what you are looking for. there a better sq subs that can be had for similar money. i'm not knocking the JL, like i said they are solid subs, but especially if you are on a limited budget there are other choices that are just as good for cheaper.

·
Registered
718 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
i guess it all depends on what you are looking for. there a better sq subs that can be had for similar money. i'm not knocking the JL, like i said they are solid subs, but especially if you are on a limited budget there are other choices that are just as good for cheaper.
yea pretty much, haha i think we actually are both agreeing, but not sure of it hahaha

·
Registered
176 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
Can you list some examples? What are some that are cheaper but 'similar quality'? what are some better ones? How is Diamond?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have focals all around in the doors and in the rear deck, they are not only some of the clearest speakers ive heard but they will give you some good midrange bass also. got a buddy that has some polks and they sound great too, but my opinion would be some focal's. as far as subs go i have a 10w7 and pound for pound its the best sub ive ever owned hits hard but i dont really care about that, the sound quality is what i like. and amps got jl amps everywhere 300/2 for the fronts 300/4 for the rears and 500/1 for the sub.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Diamond components

6" hex components up front and D651i's is back driven by 80WX4 amp (Profile - not high end but clean for the money). sounds great and will sound better w/ upgraded HU. Did both sets of speakers, amp install kit and amp for $600 (mostly ebay), no subwoofer. Not sure if you can or want to spend the dough, but soundening will make your system sound much better

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Mb quart in front. whatever you want in rear. Rear is not that important rear fill only. For subs, Kicker Solobaric is a good choice. not that expensive and they slam. you only need 1.

·
Registered
393 Posts
This is what I have
$200 Alpine SPS-171A 6.5" front component
$90 Alpine SPS-130A 5.25" rear coaxial
$200 Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amp
$200 Alpine SWD-1600 self amped, ported under seat sub-box (not sold in USA, but there are similar products)
This leaves $310-$610 for a good HU. (I spent $1,000 for a Kenwood DDX-7035 :D)
It is light weight (exluding my HU :rolleyes:), sound is good & clear, doesn't drain the battery, and within your price range... Oh, also you still get to use your trunk :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts