IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a total newbie to these forums, and a first time subaru owner. Just got an 06 WRB sti. I need help with gettin the suspension done. I dont plan on auto-crossing it any time soon. It will be my daily driver, and thats it. I want a firm but forgiving ride for the street. I have had a few hondas, most recently a type-r, and was unhappy with the tein coilovers i put on it. Simply too stiff for my needs, even with damping set on soft. If I simply drop my suby with Tein springs, are the stock dampers sturdy enough to handle the lowered height and and higher spring rate? Also I need some sort of correction for the camber settings. I dont need tons of negative camber, I wore thru way too many sets of tires on the hondas. Thanks for your help guys. While this car doesnt have have the sewing machine linearity of a honda, the torque is so sweet. I am a convert to forced induction from now on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a friend with TEIN S-Techs and his ride is ruff, the stock shocks are have harder damping then the 05's. I have the TEIN FLEX and they are a nice ride all the way on the softest setting. If you that the FLEX's on you're Type-R then you would not like any of the TEIN's. If I was in your shoes I would get some pinks if you just want it a little lower but have a good ride...

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
do not get Tein Springs for an STi. Period.

there are many better options for our cars.

the RCE springs or JDM STi Pinks, are the first that come to mind.

and when you do decide to autox your car will be very capable.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
blksubie said:
the stock shocks are have harder damping then the 05's.
please post a link to this info.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
are you just looking for a lower stance or is performance important? Do you want to even out the fender gap? (ie lower in the front)

without knowing any of this information, do a search with each of these terms, and you will come up with a lot of info:

GF210
RCE Springs
COBB springs
Pink Springs

IMHO those are some of the best optiuons for our cars. COBB if you want really low. Pink if you want least drop and great performance, GF210 and RCE for great all around and leveling springs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Otter said:
are you just looking for a lower stance or is performance important? Do you want to even out the fender gap? (ie lower in the front)

without knowing any of this information, do a search with each of these terms, and you will come up with a lot of info:

GF210
RCE Springs
COBB springs
Pink Springs

IMHO those are some of the best optiuons for our cars. COBB if you want really low. Pink if you want least drop and great performance, GF210 and RCE for great all around and leveling springs.
^ +1 I'd go for the RCE's when they come out next month and why do you need more neg. camber if you're not autoxing or road racing. You have to be going way too fast for the street to need to change the camber on your car. Plus a good drop will add a little neg. camber.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
You have to be going way too fast for the street to need to change the camber on your car.
This is so very untrue. Even at sane speeds, you will absolutely notice a dramatic difference in handling after adding some negative camber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Basically I just want a slight drop to close the gap in the fenders, and to firm up the ride slightly. And I didnt say I wanted more negative camber. I know on Hondas as soon as you drop them you get tons of neg camber, and I wanted to avoid that with my subaru. I wanted 1.5-2 degrees negative at the most. Since I wont be auto crossing, I would rather have less optimum handling, and longer tire wear. I checked all the springs out, it seems the cobb ones look good. I was afraid of blowing out the stock struts by lowering it with just springs, but the people at cobb say their springs work just fine with stock dampers. They will be doing my tune and tbe, so im going to get everything done in one weekend next month. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
just get the RCE spring and top mounts and u will be golden :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I has S-tech's on my Prelude. Great for everyday drive. I highly recommend TIC cowl/fender braces. It'll help your front end come together. After Tein HA Flex coilovers, Perrin rear sway and end links, Whiteline front sway, Whiteline ALK, I think the cowl braces are my favorite and most cost effective mod to help over all feel.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Tein's are not very good springs. Definitely would recommend RCE springs with group-n front and rear top hats and whiteline front and rear sways with Kartboy rear endlinks.

Mike

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
RaceComp Engineering said:
Tein's are not very good springs. Definitely would recommend RCE springs with group-n front and rear top hats and whiteline front and rear sways with Kartboy rear endlinks.

Mike
Mike did you get my email that I accidently addressed to Dan? :lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts

Mike
of course you would!

(hey, it worked on me)

·
Registered
158 Posts
On my '05 STi, I had prodrive springs and tein s-tech springs, both w/ the sti grp n tops. While the prodrives barely lowered the car, the ride was exceptional, better than stock. The Teins lowered the car well and it looked great with barely any fender gap, the ride was terrible, not acceptable for normal street driving. The handling was good with both set ups, better w/ the teins by a small margin.

For my new limited, I think I like the RCE spring, it seems they lower the car slightly more than the prodrives with similar ride quality according to what I have read. Of course I will do the sti grp n tops as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
BoostJunkie said:
This is so very untrue. Even at sane speeds, you will absolutely notice a dramatic difference in handling after adding some negative camber.
I know it makes a difference but not one you need on the street for the additional tire wear IMO. I drive around daily with -2.4 deg and I know that if I didn't autox I would have no reason to have camber plates because the additional tire wear isn't worth the better turn at sane speeds. I felt that a good alignment on the stock camber plates was great for street use.

Definitely would recommend RCE springs with group-n front and rear top hats and whiteline front and rear sways with Kartboy rear endlinks.

Mike
This I think is your best bet.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Capn How said:
On my '05 STi, I had prodrive springs and tein s-tech springs, both w/ the sti grp n tops. While the prodrives barely lowered the car, the ride was exceptional, better than stock. The Teins lowered the car well and it looked great with barely any fender gap, the ride was terrible, not acceptable for normal street driving. The handling was good with both set ups, better w/ the teins by a small margin.

For my new limited, I think I like the RCE spring, it seems they lower the car slightly more than the prodrives with similar ride quality according to what I have read. Of course I will do the sti grp n tops as well.
RCE springs lower an additional 14mm in the front and 10mm in the rear OVER the Prodrives.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the input. Im going to hold off on the suspension until i get back from work, Im gonna be stuck in the Persian Gulf until march. But at least when i get it done I will have enough cash to do everything all at once. Im probably gonna do the RCE springs, everyone I talked to here and nasioc seemed to recommend them. One question that didnt really get answered was how much negative camber im gonna add by lowering it. I dont want tons of negative camber, 1.5-2 degrees at most. I would rather not have ultimate grip, in favor of longer tire wear. thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts