IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I basically need someone to take a peek at their ECU for me. This will involve removing the passengers side plastic door trim (on the bottom or the door sill), removing a few little push pins, pulling your carpet out of the way, removing 4 10mm bolts and one 10mm nut. This will allow you to look at the ECU. It should only take about 5-10minutes to do. I only need someone to look at it, not remove it or tamper with it in any way.

PLEASE, if anyone can do this right now, please PM me and I'll send you cell number for more info. I'll explain more later, but I would be forever grateful if someone could help me NOW.

I'm willing to send you a nice gift for your time.

Thanks, and I'll be checking my PM's.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
if you post what your trying to look for someone might know without having to take out their ecu. it really only does take about 10 minutes to do it. i would but im not home and i dont have any access to tools.

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Hmmm as long as its not an explosive gift I guess we can contribute to your assistance.. Like evilsti7 says.. you might want to say what it is you are looking for..

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I need someone to look at the little piece of plastic that covers the ECU. It just sits on top of the ECU and keeps moisture and static away from the insides. I've got to go to the dealer in a minute.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That piece of plastic is about to cost me $1,000 for a corroded ECU. Can someone please call me while they are looking at their ECU.

·
Registered
421 Posts
im at home if you still need help.. pm me

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the offers for help, but they are no longer needed. I've said it before, but this place is an invaluable resource. Unfortunately I feel that I've just been shafted by a very reputable dealer. I just put $1004 on my credit card due, in part, to a my word against theirs situation. I'll write a novel about it later, but for now, I've got to get caught up on my work so I can get the hell out of this office.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
I think I tossed flimsy plastic piece when I installed the UTEC. I can't see how it would protect the ECU any more than the metal plate already covering it. I'd be very interested to know about "ECU corrosion." First reference I've ever heard of this...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Datadatum said:
I think I tossed flimsy plastic piece when I installed the UTEC. I can't see how it would protect the ECU any more than the metal plate already covering it. I'd be very interested to know about "ECU corrosion." First reference I've ever heard of this...
Really...me too. I took that plastic piece off and left it off when I wired my boost controller. I can't see how there would be any corrosion unless there was a leak of some kind putting moisture in that area. I don't see how that plastic cover would help that in any way. First I've read of this too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
was there water damage/flooding involved? look forward to hearding about what happened o_O

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will attempt to briefly address the questions above. I don't want to go into too much detail until I've taken this matter up with SoA. Basically what happened is my car stalled one day and wouldn't restart. I had it towed to the dealer and they informed me that the ECU was corroded. They said that I needed a new ECU and it would not be covered under warranty because there was evidence that the ECU had been removed and was not put back in correctly. Specifically, they said that the plastic cover was missing. This was not true (whether it was an honest mistake or a fabricated reason to not cover it under warranty will never be known), as I had seen the plastic piece less than 24 hours before the dealer worked on the car. My word against theirs, but I know for a fact that it was there. Amazingly, the day after they told me that the plastic piece was missing (the same day I went to pick up the car), they found it crumpled up under the passeners seat. I suggested that maybe the tech accidentally let the cover slide under the seat when he was removing the ECU, but was promptly told that it was not possible because their Subaru "master tech" worked on the car and he is way too meticulous to simply misplace a part. So much for "everyone makes mistakes." In any case, I have seen the ECU and yes, it is corroded. The corrosion is on the lower right corner of the ECU. I agree, the plastic cover does nothing to keep water off the ECU. The ECU is encased in metal (which will keep water out) and the plastic cover leaves the most vulnerable area exposed...the area where the wiring harness plugs in. This is the area that got wet. To me, the only logical source for the moisture on the ECU would be the air conditioner (located behind the glovebox) dripping due to condensation or some other reason. My A/C drain hose works fine despite being slightly melted by my DP. This rules out the possibility that my drain line is melted shut causing the water to leak in the cabin of the car (a possibilty that the dealersip suggested.) Also, the carpet is lined with plastic on the backside, so I don't think it is possible that someone spilled something by the passenger's feet and it soaked through the carpet. After meeting with the owner of the dealership and the service manager for about 30 minutes , they wouldn't budge. All I can do now is take this matter up with SoA, which is exactly what I plan on doing. Obviously, I am not happy with the dealership and I feel like I was "shafted" (I'll use that term for the sake of the swear filter.) Please keep in mind that there are two sides to every story. Once I've spoken with SoA and this issue is resolved, I'll post the full details of what happened. I will try to do so as objectively as I can and I have no intentions of bashing the dealer. You guys can make your own conclusions.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
You can answer this question, or not for fear of SOA seeing it...but.....

Bottom line, was the ecu EVER removed by someone other than a subaru technician for any reason whatsoever?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm assuming this should have been covered under warranty? Just remember, dealer attitudes are adjusted best with the words "Magnuson-Moss". Don't let them tell you any of your modifications did this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts