IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas! How is everyone. Does anyone have a friend of a friend that is a State trooper or Police officer?

I need help in getting this ticket I got apperantly for speeding.
Story-

Going to Canada on Friday, driving behind a Lexus and behind me another car, we were doing about 75mph up 87 North.

I see the state police, we all keep going at the same speed. I see him pull out and come towards me. Flashing Lights, :mad: :mad: i pulled over.

He then tells me I was doing 81mph, I explaind how can that be if I was following traffic, and that I was not gaining any distance from the car infront.

Anyways, I got the ticket, specially when he knows I live in CT about 4 hours away, and that there is no way in heaven I would go to court for it. Maybe I should, but I cannot afford a day off just for this. :scurred:

I dont mind in paying the fine, I just cannot accept any points, I just cannot. Could anyone help me here please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where did you get the ticket? 87 goes from NYC to the border. If it's within my area, I might be able to help you out. I'm an attorney, not a trooper though.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
singincanary said:
Where did you get the ticket? 87 goes from NYC to the border. If it's within my area, I might be able to help you out. I'm an attorney, not a trooper though.

It was around exit 34 way up there, almost near the border

·
Registered
939 Posts
dirt bags!

I like cops, and have nothing against them but WTF!?!?!?!

75 MPH on a highway get real.

Plus 2 stories:

My friend with a turobo Z...gets ticketed for 80 in a 65 on HWY going to mohehan sun....lame who doesnt do 80?

Myself personally....I just recently got ticketed for doing 42 in a 30...these are not outrageous or in anyway dangerous speeds.

I think it's lame...but I just paid the fine and said it wasn't worth my time.

All I am saing is...test yourself: Do the speed limit on a road you normally drive and see how many people you infuriate. These minor speeding tickets are lame.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Yah that is lame.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
sebtarta said:
Hello fellas! How is everyone. Does anyone have a friend of a friend that is a State trooper or Police officer?

I need help in getting this ticket I got apperantly for speeding.
Story-

Going to Canada on Friday, driving behind a Lexus and behind me another car, we were doing about 75mph up 87 North.

I see the state police, we all keep going at the same speed. I see him pull out and come towards me. Flashing Lights, :mad: :mad: i pulled over.

He then tells me I was doing 81mph, I explaind how can that be if I was following traffic, and that I was not gaining any distance from the car infront.

Anyways, I got the ticket, specially when he knows I live in CT about 4 hours away, and that there is no way in heaven I would go to court for it. Maybe I should, but I cannot afford a day off just for this. :scurred:

I dont mind in paying the fine, I just cannot accept any points, I just cannot. Could anyone help me here please?

Thank you.
That woman I know who is a trooper hasn't called me back yet since I called her the other day after we talked. I will try again today and see if I can get a hold of her.

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
Same thing happened to me on 87 going to montreal. First time I actually got a ticket. Alittle past albany so its about 3 hours from home....

I got a 80 in 65, which is retarded...

I actually just sent in my guilty plea...kinda sucks but wth, im not driving up there...just hoping its a small fine...not sure if the points transfer over to NJ...I hear sometimes they dont, others they dont, anyone know the truth?

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
First of, was he using Radar/Laser to measure your speed? Should be 2 boxes on the ticket, one for laser and one for radar, see if any is checked.

If none of the boxes are checked, you can argue you were traveling at the same speed of the other 2 cars and take that to court.

If radar is checked, you can argue that he can't pinpoint your speed, thus radar spectrum is wide, he could have clocked the first car and not you.

The only way he could have pinpointed your specifically from the other 2 cars is laser (LIDAR), the effective distance is 1/4 mile for that. Was he stationary or was he traveling and pulled behind you? He has to be stationary to be using laser.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
I dont see the logic in your argument? You are saying that because you were keeping up with traffic you should have not gotten a ticket? Thats like the old "if your friends jump off a cliff, you will follow?". If they were all speeding and you were following also speeding, then you were speeding and had the bad luck to get stopped. I dont see where this will hold any water in court?

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
ESsTeAEyEe said:
Those cops always use laser.

Those cops sit in the bushes with the guns pointed out the cars :(
Ya laser is the worst, by the time you detect it (X50 or V1) you're cooked and it's over.

And for that, there is the Zr3 laser jammer! FTW! Too bad it's illegal in CA. On the other hand, they rarely use it in CA, thanks to our slow judicial system that won't accept it as evidence in court it because it's not being used that much.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
2fas4u said:
Thats like the old "if your friends jump off a cliff, you will follow?".
Sure, I would ask him: why didn't you pull the Lexus over?

That's the thing about our cars, the attention...we look like we just came out of the Fast & the Furious 4 film shooting......

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peleg said:
Sure, I would ask him: why didn't you pull the Lexus over?

That's the thing about our cars, the attention...we look like we just came out of the Fast & the Furious 4 film shooting......

Ha, unfortunately, i was in my ****box, the STi sits in the parking lot waiting to be sold. :(

Anyways, its my fault yes i admit it. Also yesterday I went through a speed-trap and well, :eek: , the cars speedo reads 7 mph lower than the actual speed. So I will be calibrating the speedo, have it written down. Then talk with the trooper and see if at least I can have the fine lowered and not have any points. And if I get points, well lets say I sure do not want to get pulled over in NY. :scurred:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have NEVER seen state trooper on 87 with lazer. I have a radar detector and I've seen them gunning (constantly on) KA band a lot, but never have I see a laser warning. I suppose it could be because once I hear anything detected (KA goes off a lot) I slow down and they have no reason to gun me with laser... I am curious to know if they really use it or not.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i got pulled over in 04 with my civic si and he clocked me with radar... i went to court to get it knocked down... he had me at laser. i didnt even argue becuz i was clocked at 105 in a 65 and i was just happy i didnt get arrested.. judge knocked it down to 76 in 65 becuz i am active duty in the navy. not a lot of points. like 3 i think but my fine was like $476.. Ny troopers only use radar on 87

·
Registered
654 Posts
Everything you all talked about being lame for the fine is called "Revenue". It's a business just like any other types of company that's trying to make a profit. That's how the State make the money.

I hope we all understand that.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Everything you all talked about being lame for the fine is called "Revenue". It's a business just like any other types of company that's trying to make a profit. That's how the State make the money.

I hope we all understand that.
Exactly...
Also it's nice to profile an STI because most likely it's a young driver and because of the way some owners drive the car has a bad name. In fact on Tuesday I stopped by a local hangout and there were 2 STIs there (local college) I watched one guy launch in the parking lot and scream around the corner doing over 50. Unfortunately for us it's those drivers who ruin it for everyone. Onto your problem, You have the right in most states to contest a ticket via written declaration. Then even if you lose you can get a trial under
Trial de Novo
Here's a good link... http://www.ticketassassin.com/fight.html
Good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in Plattsburgh NY which is where you got the ticket. I know alot of state troopers up here. If you give me the tTroopers name I MIGHT be able to help, thats even if I know the trooper.

·
Registered
135 Posts
LightWerkz said:
Same thing happened to me on 87 going to montreal. First time I actually got a ticket. Alittle past albany so its about 3 hours from home....

I got a 80 in 65, which is retarded...

I actually just sent in my guilty plea...kinda sucks but wth, im not driving up there...just hoping its a small fine...not sure if the points transfer over to NJ...I hear sometimes they dont, others they dont, anyone know the truth?
If you are a NJ resident and receive a moving violation in another state that carries points, the MAXIMUM that can be applied to your NJ drivers license is 2 points. You can check that out on the NJ DMV website page below

39:5D–4: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Violations/penalties_pointSchedule.htm

1 - 20 of 23 Posts