IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys my name is Chris and I'm currently looking to get a 04-07 wrx sti to be my new daily driver. My current budget is around 30k and I want to get something that's reliable for the most part and wouldn't cost me over 2k a year to own. I drive about 15k miles a year and I don't tend to thrash it too much. So far I have found a couple candidates and I would love to get your guys' opinion on which one to get and just overall thoughts. Thank you so much for your time.

1) https://www.sdautoclub.net/details/used-2005-subaru-impreza/83984696
2) 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Stock # 512858 for sale near Lisle, IL | IL Subaru Dealer
3) Used Cars Centennial Denver, Aurora CO | Used Cars & Trucks CO | Colorado Auto Finders

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
I love GDs . . . but note they are not modern cars. Their kind of car are going extinct.

That said I can't recommend buying an old car, particularly an old STI unless you want to work on it and or pay for it.

$25K is enough to buy a modern reliable car, even a new one!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
lol wont cost you over 2k/year to own......yeah you dont want an STi, you want a civic. if you actually maintain these properly, and drive 15k/year, you are looking at 600 or more in oil changes alone, plus your fuel cost (i have yet to see one that actually gets 20mpg highway) but assuming 20mpg and all highway and 4.25 for 93, that's 3800/year in gas. you'll likely be doing trans/diff every year, which will be another 120 or so.

point i'm making, if you want it to cost you less than 2k/year to own, you do NOT want an STi, probably dont even want a wrx at that point. if you dont keep up with maintenance, the car wont be reliable.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
Both mine get app 20 Hwy . . . not more, but qpp 20 - at non-jail speed.

Oil? That is so owner dependent. Some only need 1 or 2 changes a year.

My issue was old STI , and we all know a GD in even decent shape costs over half as much as a new STi. I was spending $50 every six weeks for oil, but I'm working from home 2 days a week these days. Now I spend $50 a tank or $75 a week on fuel . . . working from home 2 days a week. But I don't think my cash outlay in maint would be nearly $2K on a new STi until it gets past $30Kmi , The one caveat there is tires if you can not run summers all year. Count $1K for a set of all season - which you and I would not do . . . Those costs are DIY. Yer no goin to come out of a dealer for less than hundreds . . . for many cars . . .

·
Registered
630 Posts
i average 20mpg combined driving...got 24 on the highway, drive 52 miles a day and current fuel cost is 35-40 every 3 days. I do my oil changes 3 months or 3k miles, have killer b pan so 6 qts every time. These cars to need more upkeep than others or you risk some extremely costly repairs, but are overall reliable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts