IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, I just signed up earlier today and basically I have been following the STI for a good amount of time, I myself dont own a STI sadly. I currently run a 2000 Honda Accord EX Coupe nothing special just A to B. Althought the car is neat and all, I want to get down and dirty into some serious tuning and so on, I was fooling around on the subaru website messing around with the build applet and basically I want every option for the STI which will be a total of $35k, the problem is I need help on what I should do, is the sti in your eyes worth it? Should i just get a regular wrx? or what should I do, I personally love the STI due to its hp, beautiful interior and tranny, and awesome awd. The car looks like a blast, I have been comparing it with the evo and the only thing that stood out to me was the price difference, but comeon the evo has NO INTERIOR, horrible interior actually. Anyways guys/girls what do you think I should do, im craving to buy one but what do you prefer? Thankyou very much for the help. Appreciate it. :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OoOOo also, Should i wait for the 2005 ? And if so what is going to the be the diff? Thanx again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OOOO

Drive the evo and it will rattle your teeth, the turbo is there but its peaky, kicks in late but fast, no cruise control, seats might be slightly better but the rest of the interior not all there, I do like the tail better on the evo but my wing is growing on me, especially as I look under the wing at cars receding in my rear view mirror :>) I'm convinced I did the right thing with my black/gold.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
he STi is SOOOOOO worth it. I drove a WRX before and the STi makes it feel like your Accord in comparison.

Drive it or get someone with one to take you for a real ride to see what it is like. Certainly drive any other cars you are interested and decide for yourself.

I personally think it is worth every penny (just for Gods sake don't get the factory boost gauge).

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
I just picked mine up yesterday. . . only option on it was the wheel locks. :p

Don't get all the factory options. Aftermarket gauges are much nicer, and you have several options. The alarm is okay, but a really nice Clifford professionally installed will be 100 times better. ANY aftermarket setup (done the right way) will be many times better than opting for a factory stereo system. The armrest extension and the rearview mirror with compass were the only things I would have tolerated. And now that I have mine, I'm not even sure I want those any more.

My list price with just the wheel locks and destination was about $31,500. Add on tax and license and you can easily be out the door for under $35,000.

Worth it? YES. Even without exceeding the 4K RPM break-in limit, I'm having tons of fun with the car. It handles very well stock, the turbo just likes to gradually press you into your seat, and not let-up (test drove a broken-in one and the boost holds just about to redline) and the seats are actually growing on me now that I'm sitting in them every day. ;)

Let us know where you're located. . . . one of us I'm sure wouldn't mind taking you for a ride that'll easily seal the deal for you. :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
iwannastibad said:
Drive the evo and it will rattle your teeth, the turbo is there but its peaky, kicks in late but fast, no cruise control, seats might be slightly better but the rest of the interior not all there, I do like the tail better on the evo but my wing is growing on me, especially as I look under the wing at cars receding in my rear view mirror :>) I'm convinced I did the right thing with my black/gold.
I didn't think the ride comfort in the EVO was bad, actually it could still be a little stiffer IMO. You're spot on about the engine response though, one of the things that gave doubts about the car at the time.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i watched the STi vs. EVO test on tv back in late April. i had always wanted an AWD car but the standard WRX did'nt quite have enough power. so, even though all the testers chose the EVO, i went with the STi. i like Subaru's dedication to the AWD platform and their experience in WRC competition was a factor too. one major factor in my choosing the STi over the EVO was the engine/turbo relationship. the STi has 150 cubic inches of displacement and runs about 14psi in boost, making 300 horse power. the EVO has more boost, 19psi, and has less displacement, making 270 horsepower. i think the EVO's engine combo is already closer to being maxed out while the STI has lots of room to grow. buy yes, test drive them both and buy what you prefer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Beings I'm 53, I've had several performance cars over the years. Everything from a 64 Impala w/4speed, 65 Buick 401 Gran Sport, 67 Chevelle SS 396, 69 302 Z28, 84 Cross Fire Injected Corvette and some homemade hotrods as well. Some good, some not so good. My wife has a 03 WRX (with an automatic) that she loves and I have the Black STi. I don't believe you can go wrong with the Scooby, it's a wonderful car. Pick everyone's brain, but remember......The DECISION IS is ultimatly YOURS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, Its a awesome car , infact I say its one of the best cars for its price, I personally love going fast, but also dont like owning 2 cars one for the winter or a bad day, rather have a sti that i can run all seasons, thing is, what about modifications? Will there be easy mods out for it, I know you can always put in the blitz sus and the new ecu thats coming out, but is there really much more to it for easy hp, I am aiming for 350 atleast at the wheels on regular gas, what do you guys think? Cause as I am seeing the modifications people are making it seems a very slow process, I know the car has just came out but do you think its possible for $350 hp under 5g's ? Thanx again. Appreciate all your help people.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You can probably get it for major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. It is all carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
major $$$$.. and outrun, u can get STi for INVOICE these days.. around $29k+msrp of options...Yukonart said it: dont get stock stereo, gauges, alarms, etc.... U can do MUCH BETTER with aftermarket setups...
STi is a great car, nothing even comes close... To substitute STi's features U would have to get:
- M3 for the similar speeds
- S4 for awd
- Old S4 for turbo tuning potential
-RX8 for same handling capabilities and fun
- BBS wheels from aftermarket, Brembos, momo, etc, etc (all are extra $$$ on the cars mentioned above)
- etc, etc...

U get ALL of that in an STi

·
Registered
176 Posts
You should drive both the STi and Evo to make your decision. I recently drove two Evos (one stock and the other which dynoed at 310WHP). The Evo steering is sick fast and the Evo rolls less around corners. Also, the seats really keep you snug. However, there is a noticeable turbo lag compared to the STi and the turbo snaps your neck back at around 4KRPMs. Both the modded Evo and stock one suffered from turbo lag and it is characteristic of most turbo cars. On the other hand, the STi power delivery is smoooth and linear, almost like a V8. There is virtually no lag on the STi and although it "feels" slower than the Evo it is deceptively fast. Around town driving is much better in the STi because you don't always feel that you are either "on" or "off" the turbo like you do in the Evo.

I am also coming from a Accord (98 EX-V6 Coupe) and the build quality of the STi is on par compared to my Honda.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
First off - that body kit in superstreetonline is horrible. No way would I put that on a road car. For a race car, great.

I chose STi over EVO because of Subaru's better reputation for quality. Even just looking at the EVO says that no money whatsoever goes into the paint. Also for all the other reasons listed here - turbo lag, smaller engine stressed higher, etc, etc.

So far I still feel slightly self-conscious about the stand out appearance of the car with the huge wing and hood scoop, but if you wanted that other body kit, I guess you won't think about it twice. :wink:

I'm sure the EVO does have its stronger points over the STi, but overall, taking the whole car and manufacturer into consideration, I definitely preferred a Subaru over a Mitsubishi. Also, I prefer the look of the STi more than the EVO now that I have seen both in person.

As for 350+ hp, unless you are taking it to the track, just get used to it stock first and see where you are before getting too carried away. You might decide it has plenty of power already and don't want to start bringing in potential reliability issues etc. I'm not sure what your driving background is, but the performance limits of this car are decently high.

Have fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree, the car's capabilities are off the chart as is w/300hp IMO. I've only had mine for about 3-4wks now and was starting to think I knew how to drive it. This last weekend I attended an SCCA event and road along with a seasoned driver in his Black 04 STi. It was a very humbling experiance... However, it was amazing to see what the STi is truely capable of. Truely amazing.

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
amdmaxx said:
major $$$$.. and outrun, u can get STi for INVOICE these days.. around $29k+msrp of options...Yukonart said it: dont get stock stereo, gauges, alarms, etc.... U can do MUCH BETTER with aftermarket setups...
I'm the type of guy who doesn't trust alot of people or gauges like autometer.

Would you trust someone else than the dealer in installing an aftermarket 3 pod center, gauges and an alarm? I would be afraid they'd jack up things...How do you feel?

Which gauges would you go with? (Greddy, Apexi) Electrical or Mechanical?

P.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Omori and Defi would be the gauges I'd look at. I'm going all electrical, except for any that are mechanical-only.

Well, if I have any troubles, I know my stereo installer has a good background in hooking up gauges. I trust him with everything else. And if he doesn't know something, he'll admit it before trying it. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts