IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ... on my way home today I was giving it some gas to pass a guy and get over ... so im in 3rd and floor it. Run the psi up to ~15.5 like normal, sept when i let off... it makes a screeching woosh sound. The BOV makes it sound, but this was ontop of it, kinda like a screeching woosh... i dont know how else to describe it. I checked my connections and IC hoses and such and they are all fine. Do you think its just he wastegate? Im used to it making like a tiny turbo sound, but this was very loud... Any ideas? Any leaks I should look for? downpipe leak? any ideas would be great. THanks

Robert~

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You just had your turbo ported and polished right? Maybe it has something to do with that. The wastegate has a larger opening and flows better, maybe you are just hearing it more now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
oh static, relax. your having guinea pig paranoia. my car is still stock and makes soooo many noises, never even off road her either.

by the way, cheers to ya for jumping into the mods and being the test dummy that i dont have the balls or cash to be. im behind you 110%!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
winter tires...M2 or LM-22

Awsome thanks for the support!!... I think you're right gforced... it seems to make that little turbo sound 90% of the time and then sometimes if it the exhaust hits it JUST right it'll get louder(its only done this once tho) so no biggie... but ya I traced it down to the wastegate, so thank you for your suggestions and such. Just kinda scared me lol, no biggie though. This christmas should be good. I get a month off of school and how to raise $1000 this month from working a lot of OT. That means blitz nurspec and gtspec 2 headers by the end of the month or in january :D!

Robert~

·
Registered
170 Posts
make sure theres no leak in the gasket between the turbo and manifold, quite possibly when you're getting on it hard enough and let off, youre hearing a louder sound sometimes if your gasket isnt sealing the turbo flange and Exhaust is escaping some how or another.. ??

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do you mean turbo and downpipe? I will check that, they said reuse the gasket, but im going to go back (now that al lthe hard work is done) and replace all the gaskets (when I get headers and catback) with those 5-7 layer "race" gaskets , so that wont ever be a problem. Also a new sound... when its cold i hear a "rubbing sounding" ... it'll be quiet , then it'll sound like something's rubbing... then go quiet... and it doesnt seem to happen ever if the car is warm? Is something loose? Leaking? At first it sounded like a flat spot on the tire, but it happend with the car stopped... so i know thats not it. Maybe a downpipe bolt? any suggestions would be great.

Robert~

Also its nothing electrical, as my rpms dont drop or anything at all like that. Im hoping its just something like a bolt moving (cause the exhaust is shaking more when cold *shrug* or something).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts