IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find anything. I need a new set of rotors for the track and can't find anything that isn't either slotted or drilled. I know I could get the Brakeman rotors but $1000, come on. I gotta buy other things like tires too. Had some pwerslots and guess what, they cracked. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
45 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
OMG! That's how much "normal" rotors costs!? Holy $hit! I never thought Suby rotors would cost more than the rotors from my old Porsche 944 turbo! Those are practically twice as much!

Please someone tell me you can get rotors for this car at $100 a pop or so...

· Registered
361 Posts
Oh please. If you want to flush your money down the toilet, then by all means buy fancy rotors for the track.

My so called "cheap ass" rotors will last just as long and stop just as well.

I've been running brembo or the like blank rotors on all of my previous track cars for years with no issues. Ever.

Unless you're to the level where every unsprung pound makes a difference (which I highly doubt *Any* of us here are) then the extra $$ is worth it.

· Registered
209 Posts
docwyte said:
Oh please. If you want to flush your money down the toilet, then by all means buy fancy rotors for the track.

I've been running brembo or the like blank rotors on all of my previous track cars for years with no issues. Ever.
:confused:Brembo replacement rotors are $402 each. That doesnt sound like saving any money to me?

· Registered
45 Posts
trippin said:
:confused:Brembo replacement rotors are $402 each. That doesnt sound like saving any money to me?
Brembos takeoffs aren't expensive. I have 3 full spare sets that I've bought on Ebay for around $50-$80 with more than 70% of their thickness left. I agree with docwhyte, you probably don't need the fancy stuff unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or are looking for every advantage from that last 1% of parts.

If you're paranoid about safety on the track, do a chemical test on the rotors to check for cracks. The only time I've ever found cracks has been on rotors worn too thin.

Stock Brembos need to be replaced at around 1.10" for the front and 0.71" for the rear.

· Banned
7,514 Posts
jsemmler said:
how about the carbotech "nothing special rotors" from TiC...

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_11_34_111&products_id=75
We have not actually stocked those form some time as nobody was buying them. if we see renewed interest then we'll make them a stocked item again.

As for the quality, we're running them on all the cars, and have been VERY happy with them.

FYI, they are actually made by centric. The owner of centric was one of the founders of stoptech, and just very recently bought stoptech back.

· Registered
37 Posts
Racing Brake

racingbrake.com

(located in Boonton NJ)
Vertical integrated manufactuerer of brake rotors/kits. I've done a ton of business with Racing Brake and the owner - Warren

They have the track rotors you need at reasonable prices. Tell them Bill from Concept2Product referred you.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Over $400 each...

Went with the DBAs from RSD. $361 to the door, however they don't stock them so it'll take about 8 weeks for me to get them.

· Registered
1,200 Posts
Man those stock rotors are expensive. I have been trying to find a replacement too and thought that the power slots would work but now that you are saying they cracked I am in the hole again.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These DBAs are the ONLY ones I've been able to find blank, other than the Brakeman 2 piece ones. If more people ordered them they would probably start stocking them. I'll report back after I use them.

· Registered
29 Posts
Ditto. I too could only find the DBA's in the no frills version. I did find some Uber-generic ones for ~ $266 for both fronts! They claim they are balanced meet DOT spec etc....(http://brakeperformance.com/site/br...4556_4557_26333&ad=froogle&dataload=1&sort=3a)

I was going to order the DBA's as well but no one had them in stock. I have a hot date with Laguna in a week so I wanted something ASAP. I ended up ordering the RacingBrake slotted (I know, I know cracking and pad wear!! It was late and after searching for so long online I think I just got worn down and ended up ordering them (with some panther XP's) because they had the nicest write-up...Im so weak!...I digress...I will let you know how they do (craking-wise after next weekend). They are a little cheaper than the DBA's (not so much for the fronts but if you are also replacing the rears they were like $50 less in total).

I would like to hear your opinion on the DBA's...once you get them.

F

· Registered
3,979 Posts
http://www.carbotecheng.com/

They don't list their rotors on the site. Call them. IIRC they're $160 each, front and rear. I just bought a set for my car, they look to be of excellent quality. I haven't had the opportunity to test them yet since I don't have wheels that fit my car at the moment.

One thing that I did notice is that they might be a bit on the thin side when compared to OEM. When the Carbotech rotors were installed I didn't need to compress the caliper pistons to get them over the new rotors. The old rotors had 20k miles on them, several autocrosses, and a few track days with XP8 brake pads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.