IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the following shopping list makes sense or not? I don't wanna get a sub, that's too heavy for the car so I'm getting component for the rear instead.

HU: Alpine CDA 9815
Front: Infinity Kappa 60.5cs
Rear: Infinity Kappa 50.5cs
Amp: Kicker 600.4

I know that if I don't get a sub there is no need for 9815 but the ugly look of the 9813 is killing me so I'd rather pay more to get the 9815.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
That should be good. That amp is 150X4 right? Without a sub you want to make sure you are giving the components the max amount of power they can safely handle to try and make up for the bass a sub would otherwise produce.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice man. No, the Kicker is 75Wx4 and 300Wx2 when bridged. You are right about getting the most out of the components, so I guess I'm changing my mind to get the MTX Thuder684 instead, it gives 85Wx4. The Kappa 60.5cs gives out 90W and the 50.5cs gives out 85W, so I guess this is the best combo.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well the 90W and 85W is the RMS, personally I would shoot for higher. I think those Kappas will handle over 200 watts. I would try to put at least 100 - 150 watts into them. You might want to consider 2, 2 channel amps instead of trying to find a high powered 4 channel. I was looking for one myslef but could not find one so I went with 2 amps for my speakers instead of 1. You could also go with 2 lower powered 4 channel amps and bridge them or get another MTX amp like you mentioned and bi-amp them. Bridging will give you more power but the sound wont be as clean as bi-amping. Those Kappas are nice speakers you don't want to go with them and not give them enough power especially without a sub.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hispanics
STi Expert Driver

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:18 pm

Come on guys everyone knows Zapco amps are the cleanest sounding amps out.
Not me. That's why I'm asking for advice over here. :wink:
Is Zapco really the best?

Hey MKIVSupra, when the spec says the front speakers can output 240W max, does it refer to each speaker or total of both? Your idea of having two 2-channel amps is very great, but will they draw more current? If I have that setup, would I need to upgrade my battery so that they won't dim out my interior and headlights? Finally, what amps do you recommend (i.e. brand & rms power) for the kappa speakers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I am sure that output rating is each. It probably would draw more but you can just get a CAP to help with the draw. I am running 3 amps with a total of about 1300 watts and have no dimming lights and on a hot day with the AC cranking and the headlights on I notice no dimming. I also still have the stock battery. Only time you would have problems with the battery is if you use the stereo without the car running. I have 2 Xtant amps for the speakers and 1 Kicker for the Kicker sub. Xtant amps are real good and I also heard PPI, I think that is the name, amps are pretty good. A good source of info on car audio is http://forum.sounddomain.com/. I knew nothing about car audio before I put my system in and learned a lot from that forum.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
One more thing, as far as RMS for the amp, like I said I would try for at least 100 to 150 watts to each component, preferrably 150 since you have no sub. You can bridge an amp, which combines 2 channels into 1 for double or more the power. OR you could bi-amp, send one channel to each mid and one to each tweeter of your components, which is what I am doing for my front components. So if you stuck with your original amp and got another one to bi-amp you would send a channel of 85 watts to each mid and 85 to each tweeter for a total of 170 watts to each component speaker set. Then do the same with the other amp for the rear components.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info, thanks.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh one more question, so you are saying for a 2-channel amp, 1 channel can connect to two front speakers and the other channel can connect to the two tweeters? Let's say the amp is 100Wx2, so does it mean 50W will go to each of the four?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
No, if you did it the way you menioned there would be no stereo separation, if you used a 100X2 you would hook it up where each set of components or each side will get 100 watts. In order to do the 50W thing you mentioned you would need a 50X4 where you would give each component speaker, mid and tweet, it's own channel of 50W. Doing it that way would also sound better and your amp would run cooler since each channel only has to deal with the specific speaker frequency. It would be like having 4 speakers which is basically what a set of 2 way components are, 4 separate speakers, so you would hook them up like they are 4 separate speaker. Make sense? I hope. Spend some time on that forum I posted and search around, there is a lot of good info on there.

BTW, do you plan on installing everything yourself? If not I would go to where you plan and talk to the techs, they can answer all the questions you might have and even recommend what to do. Good luck.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I'm now fully understood, thanks!!! :D I'm still puzzling whether I should install it myself or not. But most likely I'll bring it to a shop because of too much complication even I don't like other ppl stripping my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts