Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
background:

i bought this '06 f-350 super duty lariat crew cab sw for 19k on ebay last may. it had 97k on the odometer. i paid 50. to have it's super deluxe platinum warranty transferred over to me for the remaining 3k left on its warranty. of course, as soon as i hit 100k, the warranty expired and the fun began; starting with a broken rear leaf spring and a complete brake job (which i expected).

over the summer, it suffered a blown head gasket. there are known problems with the 6.L powerstroke engine which, unfortunately, caught up with this truck. it sat at little ricky's shop (my former friend and mechanic) for several months while he did absolutely nothing and then lied about the progress (thus the former friend and mechanic part). disgusted with that turd, i had aaa tow it out of his shop to a nearby ford truck specialty shop for the work.

this will come as a shock to anyone who knows me but, i took advantage of the fact that it would be torn down to the block and i had them add a larger turbo, a tbe, intake and a sct "canned" tune while they were at it. i just got it back yesterday. the increase in power is really impressive.

specs:
2006 4X4 CREWCAB
LARIET 172" WB STYLESIDE
6.0L V-8 DIESEL
TORQSHIFT(TM)5-SPD AUTO TR
EXTERIOR: TRUE BLUE CLEARCOAT METALLIC
INTERIOR: MEDIUM FLINT LEATHER
Long Bed
Optional Equipment:
- Silver Clearcoat Met Accent
- Preferred Equipment Pkg.618A
- LT275/70R18E BSW all terrain
- 3.73 Ratio Limited Slip Axle
- 11500# GVWR Package
- Electronic Shift on the Fly
- Engine Block Heater
- Power Slide Moonroof
- Power sliding rear window
- Camper Package
- Rear Stabilizer Bar
- FX$ Package
- Skid Plates
- Premium Sterio/6 disc CD
- Dual Alternators, premium Forged Aluminum 18" wheels
- Upfitter switches
- Reverse vehicle aid sensor package
- Trailer Hitch Receiver 12.5K
- Leather Captain's Chairs
- heated seats
- Tow Command System
- Trailer Brake Controller
- Back Rack with bed liner

upgrades and mods:
- the list of parts replaced and installed during the head work is too extensive to bother listing separately. suffice it to say that the heads were re surfaced and pressure tested. virtually every seal, fitting, switch, sensor and wear item was replaced during assembly, including a new fuel pump to bring fuel pressure up to 68lbs.
- arp head fasteners
- ford oil cooler
- egr cooler delete kit
- garrett powermax turbo
- injen intake
- mbrp 4" side exit tbe
- sct flash tuner (similar to cobb ap). currently set for "extreme street".

Attachments

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: neanderthal racing's tow vehicle/canine hauler

Nice, good tow vehicle!
thanks, law. don't forget, canine hauler. lol

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

All I read still is tow vehicle :)
Kazee just called you out. He says he wants to "explain" things to you.
(icmu)

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i just threw on a fresh set of rubber. we'll need them because we're towing the sti down to element tuning tomorrow. i'm switching to the sct "tow" map for the trip.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

it does. we're somewhere in the mid to high 400's for hp and ~800-900lbs tq.

Garrett PowerMax Turbo 04.5-07 6.0L

specs:
Compressor Wheel Inducer: 63.5mm
Compressor Wheel Exducer: 88mm
Compressor Wheel Trim: 52
Turbine Wheel Inducer: 72.5mm
Turbine Wheel Exducer: 66.5mm
Turbin Wheel Trim: 84
Turbine Housing: .90
Turbine Vanes: Altered for Higher Flow

- Features the Garrett patented Advanced Variable Nozzle Turbine (AVNT) design for increased compressor flow and boost response
- Utilizes nine movable vanes which significantly increase turbine efficiency and improve engine performance from idle launch through peak torque
- Patented integral electro-hydraulic actuation and proportional solenoid for infinitely variable control
- Larger compressor wheel over stock increases maximum power range while keeping turbo speeds down for the same power output
- Supports up to an additional 175 HP over stock with no sacrifice in drivability

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Nice. Does the turbo have no wastegate then, because it uses the variable turbine vanes instead? I've been wondering if a VGT turbo could be used on the subaru, where the ecu would think it's controlling the wastegate, when it's actually controlling the VGT.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Does the turbo have no wastegate then, because it uses the variable turbine vanes instead? I've been wondering if a VGT turbo could be used on the subaru, where the ecu would think it's controlling the wastegate, when it's actually controlling the VGT.
from what i'm reading, there's a reference to it being internally gated but, that's it. i'll ask frankie when i talk to him next.

·
Registered
834 Posts

Jesus, your modding knows no bounds. I've always been curious about a tbe and flash for my dad's '06 f-350. He's got a king ranch dually etc. He's all about his '40 5th wheel but always complains about power when ascending a steep grade. Maybe I'll show him what you're up to and that will be enough for him to pull the trigger. Any ways, very nice truck! I'll be following.

Also, my pops has about the same mileage which makes me weary seeing your head gasket issue.

Cheers,

-Greg

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Jesus, your modding knows no bounds. I've always been curious about a tbe and flash for my dad's '06 f-350. He's got a king ranch dually etc. He's all about his '40 5th wheel but always complains about power when ascending a steep grade. Maybe I'll show him what you're up to and that will be enough for him to pull the trigger. Any ways, very nice truck! I'll be following.

Also, my pops has about the same mileage which makes me weary seeing your head gasket issue.

Cheers,

-Greg
....It is possible I'm nuts (isfh)

Tell your dad to run, not walk, toward the egr delete kit. There are two kits apparently, one better than the other. PM me and I'll make sure you get the right one. This is important enough to consider urgent. There's a class action lawsuit ongoing.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a good by-pass filter setup (I run Amsoil). The HEUI system will thank you.

Nice truck BTW.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

i was having a problem starting in the extreme cold we've been having. it's cranking, but not fast enough and then running out of steam pretty fast. i took it to a local shop to change the oil, drain the water/fuel separator reservoir and see if there was a draw on the battery. everything's good, but he suggested i plug in the block heater. i said, "block heater?!?"

i was going to have frankie install one. maybe not.

edit: i just looked at the spec list in my first post. the block heater is buried in there. so many vehicles; so little time lol. there are a couple of other options buried. i'm going to free them, too.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

i was having a problem starting in the extreme cold we've been having. it's cranking, but not fast enough and then running out of steam pretty fast. i took it to a local shop to change the oil, drain the water/fuel separator reservoir and see if there was a draw on the battery. everything's good, but he suggested i plug in the block heater. i said, "block heater?!?"

i was going to have frankie install one. maybe not.

edit: i just looked at the spec list in my first post. the block heater is buried in there. so many vehicles; so little time lol. there are a couple of other options buried. i'm going to free them, too.
I'm going to regret telling you this, but I'm an engineer for Navistar (International). Make sure you're putting a stiction addative in the engine oil. It will aid cold-starts, but all around operation, as well. Aside from that, you've got everything you'll need for trouble-free operation (deletes, oil cooler, and studs).

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'm going to regret telling you this, but I'm an engineer for Navistar (International).
i promise i won't tell anyone.

Make sure you're putting a stiction addative in the engine oil. It will aid cold-starts, but all around operation, as well. Aside from that, you've got everything you'll need for trouble-free operation (deletes, oil cooler, and studs).
thanks for the tip, a. i've got diesel 911 in the fuel system, but nothing in the oil. which additive do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Hot Shot's seems to be the go to for aftermarket... I'll have to ask who our branded additive comes from, as I don't know (don't work on that platform).

Regarding fuel additives, I don't know the validity of this any more but awhile back, it was brought up that Power Service is bad for lubricity... I use Howes (clear bottle, gold colored addative) and a quart of 2 cycle oil every fill-up, in my trucks. That said, they're common rail and the HEUI pump/injectors don't rely as much on the fuel for lube...

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Re: neanderthal racing's tow vehicle/canine hauler - 4 sale

update:

i'm selling this truck. it's got 60,000 "bruce-miles" on it (which pretty much means, it's been driven like the sti, the gtr and any other vehicle i've owned - hard) for almost 160k in total. it's time to get whatever equity is left in it out of it. it's still a great truck.

i'm looking for a 2011 or '12 turbo diesel f350 lariat crew sw longbed similarly loaded; with off road, towing/trailer brake controller and (slide-in) camper packages. i use the camper mounts to hook the tiedowns used to secure dog crates and other shit in the bed.

i'm not in a huge hurry. i'll probably put the truck up on ebay in a month or so.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Re: neanderthal racing's tow vehicle/canine hauler - 4 sale

i'm not in a huge hurry. i'll probably put the truck up on ebay in a month or so.
then again, i might sell it sooner.

i went to frankie seeking advice on a truck on ebay that had some issues, but if frankie gave me the high sign that the issues were correctable, i was ready to pounce.

the truck got sold almost right away and frankie couldn't get back to me in time (he recommended not to buy it, btw). however, by the time he did get back to me, someone approached him looking for a truck and he hooked him up with me. he's ready to pounce.

so i went shopping again and located a 2012 loaded f-350 lariat dually in virginia. i'm going to try to check it out tomorrow while i'm in the dc area picking up the gtr.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: neanderthal racing's tow vehicle sold? - new silverado td 3500hd dually crew boug

i'm cleaning up the truck tomorrow hoping to sell it to the guy who is interested this week. he's really hot to buy it.

good thing. i just put a down payment on a completely loaded 2015 blacked out silverado LTZ duramax crew cab dually. i'm closing out the purchase tomorrow morning and picking it at the end of the day. it is stunning inside and out. i'll post pics tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.