IW STi Forum banner

Nbrac27's 11 STi - The Slow Quest For 400whp

GR Sedan: 
27K views 171 replies 12 participants last post by  Matias R 
#1 · (Edited)

Hey everyone!

So I purchased my 2011 STi Limited back in March, and even though I've now dumped far more money into fixing all the stuff that has happened with her since then I couldn't be happier with it. This is my third Subaru, started with an 04 WRX, went to a 07 WRX, and now this. This will be my log for my slow quest for 400whp.

93k Miles on the Body and Transmission
1250 Miles on the Built Motor.

Current Mod List-
Installed
Currently Being Installed
Ordered/Awaiting
Coming in the Near Future
Removed/Sold

Engine/Turbo:
TPG Tuning Stage 2 Short Block/Stage 1 Headwork
-CP 99.5mm Pistons
-Manley H-Beam Rods
-ARP HeadStuds
-King Bearings

-TPG Tuning TGV/EGR Deletes
NGK 1 Step Colder spark plugs
Killer B Oil Pickup

Cobb Short Ram Intake
Crawford Performance AOS
Cobb 3 Port EBCS
ETS TMIC
AEM 320lph
FP Black (Or Green, haven't decided yet..)
FP 84mm Inlet
ID1000CC Injectors
TurboXS 50/50 BOV

Exhaust:
Invidia N1 Burnt Ti Dual Tip CBE
Cobb Catted DP
Invidia Cattless DP
ETS Equal Length Headers
Grimmspeed EWG Uppipe + 38mm EWG
ARK GRiP CBE

Drivetrain:
ACT HD/SS Clutch
Cobb STS
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushings
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing

Suspension:
FEAL 441 Coilovers
SPC Rear Camber & Toe kit
SPC Camber Bolts
Whiteline Swaybar Bushings

Wheels/Brakes:
Avid.1 AV20s 18x9.5 +38
Muteki SR48 Torch Blue Lugs
R1Concepts Front & Rear Slotted Rotors
Stop Tech Performance Pads
WORK Emotion 11R 18x9.5 (Eventually...)
SSR GTV01 18x9.5

Interior:
Clarion NX605 Headunit
V3 Accessport
Custom JDM Pig Shift knob
Tanabe Boost Gauge
Tanabe Oil Pressure Gauge
PLX Wideband
ATI Center Gauge Pod

JBL Front Speakers
Blox Racing Limited Torch Blue Shift Knob

Exterior:
BaysonR Front Lip
BaysonR Rear Side Lips
Cusco Front Towhook
Purple Hella Horns
Switchback Morimoto LED Halos
JonMotoring S206 Style Side Skirt Lips
JDM Rain Guards
Morimoto Fog Lights

8/30/16
-Plans being put into motion to do an IAG Stage 1 or 2 shortblock due to bad compression in my current engine.. Good times.
10/4/16
-After receiving numerous quotes, going with a stage 2 built block from one of the reputable shops in my area. Almost time to get this started!
10/12/16
-Car will be being dropped off at TPG Tuning next week to get the engine built!
11/4/16
-Car finally dropped off to TPG Tuning to get built! Now time for the long wait...
11/23/16
-Avid.1 AV20s Ordered
-Engine is back from the Machine Shop and will be put back in next week after Thanksgiving

11/30/16
-AV20s Arrived.
-Engine is back from the machine shop and being dropped back in

12/6/16
-Picked the car up from getting the motor built and have begun the 1000 mile break in!
12/19/16
-Boost leak on the intake manifold being addressed. Currently at the 380 mile mark.
12/28/16
-Car is running awesome. At the 700 mile mark, only 300 to go now.
1/4/17
-First update of the new year. Car seems to be having fueling issues so trying to sort that out.
-Halos / Gauge Pod / bov arrived. Once the issue is resolved I will be installing everything and getting her tuned. At the 860 mile mark now.

1/9/17
-At the 960 mile mark.. so close to being tuned. But now need to figure out what seized up in the car and what's broken in my brakes..
1/11/17
-e-brake assembly is being repaired and then its tune time!
1/18/17
-Halos / BOV / Gauges installed. Tune scheduled for Monday the 23rd.
1/25/17
-50/50 BOV sold and car tuned! 290whp/325lbstq. For very minimal power mods I'm happy with it, now to start saving again so I can get the most out of this built engine.
2/6/17
-Ordered front and rear set of R1Concepts Slotted Rotors to replace my ruined one and the other three.
3/2/17
-R1Concepts slotted rotors prepped and painted, now just waiting for my work's garage to be unoccupied so I can get them on!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Nbrac27's 11 STi

Well after reading all sorts of you guy's forms, stuff over on nasioc, and others as well, I guess our model STis have a real bad ringland failure problem, huh? lol

So, with 88k miles and not knowing the original owner to get more info on the car, it worries me a tad bit. I got her with the full intent of her being my daily for my last year on my contract and slowly mod her along the way, and then slowly turning into a project full build once I got out and down to where I plan to stay for awhile.

Now, I think I am going to scrap some of my other ideas, and just start saving now for the engine build I planned to do later on down the road, and keep my fingers crossed that nothing will go really wrong with the current engine until I have a good chunk of change saved, or even until I already have the short block purchased and ready to go to the machine shop and get all put together.

Hopefully when I get it compression tested everything will look good.. fingers crossed lol

#3 ·

Well after reading all sorts of you guy's forms, stuff over on nasioc, and others as well, I guess our model STis have a real bad ringland failure problem, huh? lol

So, with 88k miles and not knowing the original owner to get more info on the car, it worries me a tad bit. I got her with the full intent of her being my daily for my last year on my contract and slowly mod her along the way, and then slowly turning into a project full build once I got out and down to where I plan to stay for awhile.

Now, I think I am going to scrap some of my other ideas, and just start saving now for the engine build I planned to do later on down the road, and keep my fingers crossed that nothing will go really wrong with the current engine until I have a good chunk of change saved, or even until I already have the short block purchased and ready to go to the machine shop and get all put together.

Hopefully when I get it compression tested everything will look good.. fingers crossed lol
https://tougetuning.com/subaru-ringland-failures-are-the-forums-right/

Ringland failure information is posted all over this forum and Nasioc but that link is the first place I've seen it all compiled together neatly. That should help calm your fears. Most importantly, just enjoy the car.;)

#4 ·

Thank you for that! After reading through it all, and now looking at the mods that the previous owner put on (AOS, cobb dp, ect) it seems like he/she was doing so to help mitigate the risk of this happening.

I don't really beat on the car at all, never really did in my WRXs either, so I hope it will hold out for awhile.

#5 ·

Well ordered my headunit and front lip this weekend. Headunit is supposed to be here tuesday and hopefully the lip wont be too far behind.

Got a couple pictures after washing her, and while we were restoring the headlights.

Also snapped one of me and my buddies new 16 wrx he just got :)

Every time I look at her I think, man she really needs to be lowered a little.. So after the CC is paid off next month going to be doing the ISC coils first and then saving for the wheels!

Also, discovered how much quicker the car does everything I want it too in sport sharp mode.. lol

#6 · (Edited)

Well got a couple things for the car this past weekend and threw them in, and discovered some more goodies about the car along the way.

Received the NX605 and immediately went to work on that and got it all installed.

Absolutely love it and couldn't be happier with the model I got. Debating on doing upgraded speakers and possibly a sub in the trunk, nothing too crazy but I do enjoy music.

Here's a pre photo of tearing apart the center console to splice the e-brake sensor wire.. Soon after it was all done found out all I had to do was ground it and it'd be fine. Wish I had that info an hour earlier hah.

Well would you look at that, already had the Cobb STS that I wanted on the car.. So tearing apart the center console at least had some positive take aways lol. However, I'm really not a fan of the way they do it now with the reverse needing to pull up that lever, and not being able to make the shifter any amount shorter because of it. I enjoyed how short it was on my 07 WRX and was hoping I'd be able to do that.

And then lastly, my Blox Racing Limited shift knob came in.. Had one of my previous subie and loved it so decided the STI just wouldn't be 'mine' until it had one as well.

Once I get paid on the 15th (Wooo Mil Biweekly Pay!) I'm hoping to grab either an Invidia N1 or Agency Power catback to throw on and then put the Ark up on the market to support the coils purchase!

And last picture just because I found a cool spot in my town when I was driving to the post office and snapped one.

#7 ·

Rumble all the things!

Got the Ark catback off, and installed the new Invidia N1. Now she purrs like my previous subies and I love it. I like the look of the quad tip more, however I like the sound of the dual singles far more so they won this battle.

Once I get the sound clip uploaded I'll post that as well! Now with the new exhaust on, time to sell the old one to put towards the wheels!

#10 ·

Quick Update:

Picking up a used set of 18x9.5 +45 SSR GTV01s with 245/35/18 Hancook Ventus V12s on Saturday, so hopefully will be mounting those up this weekend. Also awaiting some JDM yellow overlays for my fog lights to arrive.

Once my coils come in those will be getting installed, and then will be bringing her down to get a set of Whiteline rear adjustable control arms installed, rear fenders rolled, and getting the drop and 'stance' all set up (If I remember correctly my local shop said I'll be running -2.5 in the rear only so nothing wild!)

#12 ·

Quick Update:

Things are going to start rolling this weekend.

Fenders are getting rolled tomorrow along with my SPC Rear Camber & Toe arm kit and SPC camber bolts will be getting installed
Saturday my Coils will be going on
Awaiting shipment of
BaysonR Front Lip
BaysonR A-Style Rear Lip Aprons
Mutegi Torch Blue Lugs

Once all of that is done, the pre-emptive 100k mile upgrades/maintenance will be getting started-
Timing belt job
Fuku Works Turbo Inlet
Fuku Works Radiator Hoses
Mishimoto Performance Radiator
Grimmspeed 3-Port EBCS
Complete Fluid flush and refill
Exedy Stage 2 Clutch

Pictures from this weekend will be posted during/after its all said and done!

#13 ·

Update.. Coils still aren't on.

Picked my car up from my local shop, went to take the lugs off, and seven of them were locked tight on there after torque was broken on them and they spun once. Called the shop and was told my lugs probably stretched due to wear, so had to bring it back to get my lugs and studs replaced (No charge at least).

Then went to do the coils, again, and found that one of my lower strut bolts was stripped beyond belief.. So now, am going to be contacting Subaru to see if I can order two (One for the stripped side, and a new one for the other just to be safe) and then hopefully will putting them on soon.. They are just sitting in my room, looking all pretty and such, waiting to be put on lol. So, couple pics of mine and a couple buddies WRXs from Import Face Off last weekend in Pittsburgh:)

However, some progress, did get my front lip and rear spats put on!

#14 · (Edited)

Purchased a like new V3 for a great deal and got that installed yesterday. Definitely feel a difference in her pick up now. However, she's having trouble turning over on start up now.. Has anyone had this issue before after installing an AP?

AP is also showing the car is throwing P0019 at me as well so that's always nice... :tdown:

#15 ·

Well going to do my timing belt/water pump job and hope that the timing on my engine isn't all screwed up since after data logging all my AVCS solenoids for my tuner and figuring out those aren't the issue, hes thinking the timing is. Good times.

On a side note, ordered new lower strut bolts to replace my stripped ones so hopefully my coils can be put on soon once they're here. Also have Kartboy shifter bushings and rear shifter bushing inbound so that's nice.

'Shit never going according to the plan. Its what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.'

#17 ·

Not a huge update, but timing belt/water pump job done. And got to putting the hella horns on today.

I'm happy with how they look. Don't pay attention to how dirty she is lol

Unfortunately the timing belt didn't fix the P0019 code so next up is a leak down test, and replacing two sluggish AVCS solenoids (possibly just all four to be safe) and seeing if that works. Going to be doing NGK 1 step colder spark plugs while I'm at it. If that doesn't fix it, then it may be onto replacing the can gears -__-

#20 ·

Nothing really new to add. She's heading down to my tuner when I head out next month for some training to get a leakdown test done and swap in some 1 step colder plugs since they'll already be working in the area. Hopefully this CEL will get figured out and fixed soon...

Dirty pictures with Pittsburgh in the background for your time since its rained almost every day this past week and I haven't been able to wash her.

#172 ·

Nothing really new to add. She's heading down to my tuner when I head out next month for some training to get a leakdown test done and swap in some 1 step colder plugs since they'll already be working in the area. Hopefully this CEL will get figured out and fixed soon...

Dirty pictures with Pittsburgh in the background for your time since its rained almost every day this past week and I haven't been able to wash her.

did you have figure out what the code was for ?

#21 ·

Update on the car:

Dropped her off to my tuner before I had to leave to go out to some training in Wisconsin and had a leak down test done.

Ended up getting the call I didn't want from my tuner telling my compression in two of my cylinders are at a about half as the other two, I cant remember the exact numbers he told me, but it was something like 20 / 11 / 22 / 10, and the block was going to need to be replaced. Wonderful..

So now I am trying to get quotes from the different tuners and shops around my area to price a rebuild. My shop I usually go to sent me a quote for $10k that blew my mind a little since I told them I don't want a crazy rebuild, just the IAG short block (Since it is only $600 more than an OEM block, and the peace of mind that its less likely this will happen again) and salvage everything and anything that we can that is still working fine from my current engine since this will have to be a budget rebuild. I've looked around other threads and posts on what to expect for a rebuild price, and so when I was told $10,000 it kind of took me by surprise. Hopefully one of the other shops in the area can do a little better but we'll see.

If anyone in here can chime in with some of their prices to get their engine swapped it would be greatly appreciated to see if this actually is a normal price or if this is really high. Mostly just looking to see what others paid for labor because my quote has a $3,100 labor price.

#22 ·

Update on the car:

Dropped her off to my tuner before I had to leave to go out to some training in Wisconsin and had a leak down test done.

Ended up getting the call I didn't want from my tuner telling my compression in two of my cylinders are at a about half as the other two, I cant remember the exact numbers he told me, but it was something like 20 / 11 / 22 / 10, and the block was going to need to be replaced. Wonderful..

So now I am trying to get quotes from the different tuners and shops around my area to price a rebuild. My shop I usually go to sent me a quote for $10k that blew my mind a little since I told them I don't want a crazy rebuild, just the IAG short block (Since it is only $600 more than an OEM block, and the peace of mind that its less likely this will happen again) and salvage everything and anything that we can that is still working fine from my current engine since this will have to be a budget rebuild. I've looked around other threads and posts on what to expect for a rebuild price, and so when I was told $10,000 it kind of took me by surprise. Hopefully one of the other shops in the area can do a little better but we'll see.

If anyone in here can chime in with some of their prices to get their engine swapped it would be greatly appreciated to see if this actually is a normal price or if this is really high. Mostly just looking to see what others paid for labor because my quote has a $3,100 labor price.
Yea, IAG is pretty expensive when it comes to labor, but they are especially good at what they do. I got quoted by two local shops at $1400 in labor, and IAG had me around $3k

#23 ·

This is just a local shop that quoted me this, with an IAG block, so that's why I was so surprised. If it was through a big time shop like IAG I would have at least been a little more understandable too it.

I'm going to shop around and see if I can get any shops to give me better estimates for the labor and hopefully get it closer down to that $1,400 than the $3,100 I was given.

#24 ·

This is just a local shop that quoted me this, with an IAG block, so that's why I was so surprised. If it was through a big time shop like IAG I would have at least been a little more understandable too it.

I'm going to shop around and see if I can get any shops to give me better estimates for the labor and hopefully get it closer down to that $1,400 than the $3,100 I was given.
Oh shoot, I skimmed over that. IAG quoted me about 9k for a stage 2 block and a few other little things+labor.

#25 · (Edited)

IAG pricing from memory:
3k for a block
$3k R&R
The rest will depend on what else they feel it will take to make your engine reliable. They won't mess around with old parts they shouldn't spend time on, but they won't rip you off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: user1029
#26 ·

Quick Update:

Have been getting quotes and what not, and now have plans in motion for one. Will be doing a 'stage 2' block from one of the tuners in the area (TPG Tuning, Pittsburgh area).

Block will be-
Disassembled and Inspected
Hot Tanked
Bore and Honed
Align Bore Mains
File Fit Rings
Port and Smooth oil Passages
and assembled with new case bolts

Internals used will be-
CP 99.5mm Pistons
Manley H-Beam Rods
OEM Full Gasket Set
ARP HeadStuds

Also will be doing an Killer B Oil Pickup and Baffle. The car will be getting a Tune after the break in miles as well. Hopefully will be getting this ball rolling within the next couple weeks!

After the build and before the Tune I plan to do a couple more things to get ready for an FP Red/ or Black setup in the near future afterwards (Haven't quite decided yet)

-Agency Power Equal Length Headers
-Tial BOV
-GrimmSpeed EBCS
-GrimmSpeed Top Mount
-DW 1300cc Injectors

#27 ·
Re: Nbrac27's 11 STi- Built Motor Plans In Motion!

Car is getting dropped off next week to start the heart transplant with her stage 2 build! Was told it will take about 4 weeks from start to finish, going to be pretty impatient but definitely will be looking forward to it getting done.

New picture for your time :)

#28 ·
Re: Nbrac27's 11 STi- Dropped Off to Get Built!

Update:

Car was finally dropped off to TPG Tuning yesterday. Was told it will take about 3-4 weeks, possibly a little longer to get it done so I'll have to patiently wait until then. Pretty excited to get her back though!

Also while she is there will be trading the SSR GTV01s for a set of same size WORK Emotion CR Ultimate's with a slightly lower offset (+38). Going to be debating on what color to get them powder coated while her engine is out.. Might stay with the bronze depending on how it looks on the PBP color of the car, we'll see..

Hope to be updating soon at least with the wheels! Definitely will be when the car is finished and back!

#29 ·
Re: Nbrac27's 11 STi- Dropped Off to Get Built!

Well it's only been a week since I dropped the car off and I'm already getting antsy.. lol 3-4 more before I can pick her up.

Dropped off my Kartboy front and rear shiftyer bushings to get installed as well with the ACT HDSS clutch. Now just trying to find a catless invidia downpipe now to swap out my Cobb catted when I get her back. Going to contact my tuner soon for some pics of the progress and will post them up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.