IW STi Forum banner

Would an enhanced NAV "live gauge" display be useful?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOTE:
You can select more than one option in the poll. If you vote, please choose one box from the "I would use..." list and one from the "This would..." list. Basically the poll is to assess how often you feel you would use the feature as well as if you feel it would increase the value of the NAV option.

Thread Description:

Having the OEM NAV unit display useful information like boost, AFR, IAM, etc, would be much more useful to 2008+ STI owners than simply seeing Avg MPG (already availabe by clock), instant MPG (who cares), and throttle position % (who cares). If we assume that this data is being collected from the ECU, then it should be a relatively simple matter for Subaru to provide an update to enable the display useful data.

While it is unlikely this post will cause Subaru to release an update to enable this for 2008 owners, it might serve to show interest for having it as a 2009 feature.

Posting Rules:

For those that would like to see this feature, please post here. Please only post if you would like to see this feature. Also, if you could indicate whether you are a current owner or potential buyer (08 or 09+) that would be helpful too.

This is not a discussion thread.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Petition: NAV Display of ECU Data

I'll start. Yes as a soon-to-be owner of a 2008 STI, I would like to see this feature delivered as an update, if possible. At the very least this should be a feature for MY09.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

I didnt order my 08 with navi but if it did have these options, I'd probably would of got it. I think a ODB II code reader would be helpful to. :/

·
Registered
28 Posts

I getting my 08 STI on the weekend and I have Nav included...... would simply awesome for it to have this capability down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts

Current owner. If USEFUL data were displayed by the Nav, I would have purchased this option. As it stands, however, I did not opt for the Navi since I already have a handheld unit and $2K is WAY to much to spend for a Navi.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Current owner w/Nav. I would like to see this as an update, and I believe it would add to the appeal!

·
Registered
189 Posts

Current owner w/Nav. I would like to see this as an update, and I believe it would add to the appeal!
+1...couldn't have said it better!

·
Registered
271 Posts

Also current owner... definitely interested in a factory update.

if not, would it be possible for the factory to release the code under GPL and allow those with the time and the resources to cobble something together?

·
Registered
12,474 Posts

current owner, no NAV.

i would still not get the nav if it was able to do this. i already have a gtech-pro, a scangauge II and an Accessport v2 to read everything that i need to see. and i have GPS built into my blackberry. just can't justify spending $2K on another set of gauges and nav.

i voted "This would *not* increase the appeal of the NAV option"

J.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm a current owner of an '08 but I did not get the NAV because it required the purchase of $2k BBS wheels which I didn't want.

I voted yes anyhow, because that would be cool to have on the NAV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK... I have been trying to figure out how to attach a turbo boost gauge to my dash... Then I saw this thread. Cool... but never will happen... I voted that I would be interested in this.
Solution!!!
After a lot of thought I came up with a possible solution.
Imagine this:
Using the "video in" attached to a small computer that is connected via the OBD-II using either bluetooth or a USB cable (via a scantool).
Wireless Options
This will allow you to display on the Navi.
Cons:
Major pain to shutdown the computer.
Have to wait for the computer to power up before it can display the video.
Have to perform the grounding of the "gray" wire so that the video will display while moving.
Have to buy the Scantool hardware and software.
Have to have something always plugged into the OBD-II (similar to using an AccessPort).
Pros:
You can have more than one item displayed, for example MP3 playing in the background.
Possible Valentine One remote displayed on your screen. (needs more research)
V1 Virtual Display : Skinnable Valentine One to PC Software - MP3Car.com

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK... I have been trying to figure out how to attach a turbo boost gauge to my dash... Then I saw this thread. Cool... but never will happen... I voted that I would be interested in this.
Solution!!!
After a lot of thought I came up with a possible solution.
Imagine this:
Using the "video in" attached to a small computer that is connected via the OBD-II using either bluetooth or a USB cable (via a scantool).
Wireless Options
This will allow you to display on the Navi.
Cons:
Major pain to shutdown the computer.
Have to wait for the computer to power up before it can display the video.
Have to perform the grounding of the "gray" wire so that the video will display while moving.
Have to buy the Scantool hardware and software.
Have to have something always plugged into the OBD-II (similar to using an AccessPort).
Pros:
You can have more than one item displayed, for example MP3 playing in the background.
Possible Valentine One remote displayed on your screen. (needs more research)
V1 Virtual Display : Skinnable Valentine One to PC Software - MP3Car.com
isnt that how the new HKS Camp 2 works? I was thinking of getting one for my car but wasnt sure is the factory Nav has video input.

Here is a link from the HKS website, just food for thought.
HKS USA HKS CAMP2 Real-Time Engine Monitoring

·
Registered
136 Posts
isnt that how the new HKS Camp 2 works? I was thinking of getting one for my car but wasnt sure is the factory Nav has video input.

Here is a link from the HKS website, just food for thought.
HKS USA HKS CAMP2 Real-Time Engine Monitoring
Factory NAV has composite video input -- FWIW, you'll have to do a very small amount of rewiring (search forums for full info) to get it to work when you're driving/don't have the ebrake on.

Thanks for the link -- this is the first thing I've seen that makes me possibly want to go get an after-market head unit with a monitor (I've ordered my '08 with stock stereo, wanted the iPod integration, don't need NAV and I can always get a better one for less money anyway). Solves the question of where to put the gauges, anyway...

·
Registered
65 Posts
HKS USA HKS CAMP2 Real-Time Engine Monitoring is probably not a good option.

There are much cheaper options that do more. STISCAN seems promising... ECUEDIT does too. Still researching this. I will post the solution I finally go with.

Both those options display analog gauges. It looks really nice. I still do not see if they can display turbo boost... I am guessing that there is no sensor and/or data gathered by the ECU... which would be strange...

BTW, I read about how to display the video while without the EBrake on. That is the grounding of the gray wire that I was talking about in my post.

·
Registered
130 Posts
HKS USA HKS CAMP2 Real-Time Engine Monitoring is probably not a good option.

There are much cheaper options that do more. STISCAN seems promising... ECUEDIT does too. Still researching this. I will post the solution I finally go with.

Both those options display analog gauges. It looks really nice. I still do not see if they can display turbo boost... I am guessing that there is no sensor and/or data gathered by the ECU... which would be strange...

BTW, I read about how to display the video while without the EBrake on. That is the grounding of the gray wire that I was talking about in my post.
I will start a new thread for the HKS camp so that we can just include all info we find there instead of taking up space on this "poll thread".

1 - 20 of 62 Posts