IW STi Forum banner

461 - 480 of 2503 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
i'll be going w/ that aps hard pipe or robert at static's new inlet they are have in the works.....that aps inlet isn't available till later in feb. according to robert @ aps. i think if you order it from anywhere it goes backorder till they arrive.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
will I really noticed a 20whp gain? I am thinking of not going back and just keeping the numbers I got but I want that little extra power. I mean doug told me that I can get it but I gotta change out the inlet tube first. What do you all think?

·
Registered
461 Posts
USA 79S said:
Donovan, do you have numbers yet on your setup?.
Not until the 24th. But now I'm afraid because of what you ran into. I have a 3" Sloboy inlet that I'm afraid will collapse:scurred: As of right now no one has the APS hard pipe inlet so It looks like I'm going to have to take my chances

·
Registered
461 Posts
ride_the_pony69 said:
will I really noticed a 20whp gain? I am thinking of not going back and just keeping the numbers I got but I want that little extra power. I mean doug told me that I can get it but I gotta change out the inlet tube first. What do you all think?

When that hot little EVO pulls up beside you you'll wish you had that 20 extra ponies.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #465
just read ese's post on grill thread....he's quit doing them, i'm screwed now :( i will never get my grill done....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eric,

The only reason you had a collapse on your inlet tube with your APS intake is because of the length from the front of the intake to the inlet on the turbo on your current setup. With a CAI, too much pressure builds up at peak boost within the approximate 2-3 feet of tubing from the tip of the intake to the tubro inlet at higher boost levels. As airflow increases, pressure decreases (The Venturi Effect) within the intake and a vaccum starts to form. The Perrin Turbo Inlet is not rigid enough to mantain its shape at the boost levels you were running at those higher whp levels. Given that you have a flexible turbo inlet made up of wrapped peices of silicone with no internal meshing or brace to keep it from collapsing ....therein lies your problem.

Would you have a collapse with a pod/ram style intake at 25psi...most likely not because...less distance from the air intake to the turbo inlet. Would you have collapsing with the new APS inlet in combination with your current APS CAI....most likely not. I don't think that combo would collapse until you hit upwards of 100psi or greater since it is made of metal.

I think your best bet is to get the new APS inlet and keep your CAI. I prefer to have my car sucking in that cooler air from the fender well than from the engine bay...but that's just me.

I hit 24psi tonight on the interstate (doing 150mph ;) ) and my stock inlet kept right on sucking air no problems. I think after feeling your Perrin Inlet at the meet, that the stock inlet may not flow as well, but it is more rigid.

Now you have to ask yourself: How much more money am I willing to keep spending on my car for more hp? I would like to get an APS inlet...but for $300 for only mabye another 10whp....doesn't seem worth it to me. As many times as I've changed my mind though throught this whole ordeal...I'll probably be running a GT42R with a custom shortblock in 6 months!

Just some food for thought.

laters,

jj

·
Banned
727 Posts
Given the estimated 20hp and reliability for +/- 275.00 that would come with an inlet pipe, I would say its well worth it at about $13.75 per pony. COBB STAGE 2 is roughly 1600 for 50 hp @ about $32.00 per pony. I't seems like a decent bang for the buck, not to mention who knows how long before the pipe collapses with your CURRENT tune, if ever?

·
Banned
727 Posts
05impreza said:
just read ese's post on grill thread....he's quit doing them, i'm screwed now :( i will never get my grill done....
Jason you just kicked me in the nuts with that info. I am so pissed with myself. I could have easily sent mine in to be done, but arranged to wait until my return. Now I am screwed like everyone else wanting this mod. :banghead: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
461 Posts
T1mmmy said:
Talleyd,

Sorry I couldnt meet up with you last week. When is a better time to get together?

Tim
Anytime this weekend, just let me know. We need to make this happen because the rex is tired of standing on stilts and needs some shoes on her.

Donovab

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey guys,

I'll be out of town and won't be back until friday night:(

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
ASApilot said:
Eric,

The only reason you had a collapse on your inlet tube with your APS intake is because of the length from the front of the intake to the inlet on the turbo on your current setup. With a CAI, too much pressure builds up at peak boost within the approximate 2-3 feet of tubing from the tip of the intake to the tubro inlet at higher boost levels. As airflow increases, pressure decreases (The Venturi Effect) within the intake and a vaccum starts to form. The Perrin Turbo Inlet is not rigid enough to mantain its shape at the boost levels you were running at those higher whp levels. Given that you have a flexible turbo inlet made up of wrapped peices of silicone with no internal meshing or brace to keep it from collapsing ....therein lies your problem.

Would you have a collapse with a pod/ram style intake at 25psi...most likely not because...less distance from the air intake to the turbo inlet. Would you have collapsing with the new APS inlet in combination with your current APS CAI....most likely not. I don't think that combo would collapse until you hit upwards of 100psi or greater since it is made of metal.

I think your best bet is to get the new APS inlet and keep your CAI. I prefer to have my car sucking in that cooler air from the fender well than from the engine bay...but that's just me.

I hit 24psi tonight on the interstate (doing 150mph ;) ) and my stock inlet kept right on sucking air no problems. I think after feeling your Perrin Inlet at the meet, that the stock inlet may not flow as well, but it is more rigid.

Now you have to ask yourself: How much more money am I willing to keep spending on my car for more hp? I would like to get an APS inlet...but for $300 for only mabye another 10whp....doesn't seem worth it to me. As many times as I've changed my mind though throught this whole ordeal...I'll probably be running a GT42R with a custom shortblock in 6 months!

Just some food for thought.

laters,

jj
Hey man thanks for the info but I don't have a CAI, I got an APS short ram. I was thinking of changing just the intake but I don't want to chance the same thing happening again so I am just going to change out the inlet tube the the new APS hard tube. GT42 is huge!!! I was also thinking of my next upgrade too but sure ain't gonna be in 6 months. Mine will probably be in like another year or so. I just want a GT35R, then maybe upgrading the internals but I just want the trubo for now. Still debating if I want another car in the future to build up.

461 - 480 of 2503 Posts