IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to oem re070's.
I am researching for a future purchase and I HAVE read many of the posts.

If I want at least as good a tire as oem
( handling on street, sidewall, stickiness, turn in) , that wears at least as well, and costs no more, no noisier!, what is left?

Every tire I bring up for scrutiny seems to fall short either in wear rate, turn in due to compound or too soft sidewall.
I would consider a tire half the price if it wore quickly but was great otherwise- (Kumho)
Please offer the very small field of candidates for my evaluation?

My early noob impression is the re 070 is part of the thrill of this stock rocket; I am unwilling to give up an ounce of handling.
My apologies if this is viewed negatively

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Jdm???

flatthump said:
Bust out the bills and get some JDM 235 RE070's from Japan.
I thought the re070 was bridgestone!!!! what is JDM?

edit
"Never mind"! Japanese domestic... Dealer wants $250 per tire 070's, is japanese market better with $$?

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
No. There is only one size available in the Usdm. But the STi in Japan sports 235 re070's.

The 070 is about as stiff as it gets with streey tires. It may be the stiffest sidewalled street tire in the world.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where to order em and how much?
there really seems to be no "better" tire for a modestly fast driver on the street.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The RE01R is stickier than the RE070, and cheaper. Only trade off is the sidewalls are not as stiff. Since I have a very stiff suspension I am ok with a slightly less stiff sidewall. Advan Neovas are same as RE01R's but they cost about the same as RE070's. So I vote RE01R.

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
you can't get the JDM tires becaue they'll be illegal in the US..

the only options i see are the re01r, the hankook rs2 (which is my next tire), or rt615s.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aaaa is there any way you could ditch Hasselhoff pic,

I get these bad flashbacks lol
maybe substitute pamela or yasmine

·
Registered
126 Posts
pretty sure it was the NSX that has the wider RE070's

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
did i ever mention i love the stock bridgestones? (isfh)
(i'm always lurking takeoffs)

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
evilSTi7 said:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
I found those to have an absolutely mushy sidewall, but that was on another vehicle some time ago.

Falken 615s and Yoko A046 Evo take-offs are the only thing close to the 070s imho. Maybe a few others out there if you feel like spending $800+/set

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Based on a recent ride and drive, the A046 is every bit as good, if not better. But at $260 a tire, give me a friggin' break. The RE01R is looking better all the time, and if it is quieter, that'll be my choice next summer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The stock STi tyre is a hard act to follow. The Kumo Victoracers that I have on at the moment, cut one of the 070's, are maybe a tick better in performance, a little cheaper in price, but much shorter in life.

Don't worry, guys, they were heat cycled out before I put them on the street for a few summer months. Picked up a set of stocker take offs for the rainy season. They are that good.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The 070's are pretty damn good. I'm really surprised at how many miles some guys are getting out of the things.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts