02/09/2015 - Tap Turn Installation / Review
05/30/2015 - Bayson R Lip / Tint
07/14/2015 - Bayson R Kit / JDM Start Button
02/08/2016 - 21,000 Mile Update
05/04/2016 - Bayson R Rear Underspoiler / Diffuser
12/17/2016 - Invidia Q300 Exhaust
02/08/2017 - Custom Shift / Parking Brake Boots, Misc Mods
07/11/2017 - Bittersweet Memories / New S3

After an almost 5 year hiatus from owning an STI, I'm back. During that time I shared a 2005 Mazda 6 with my wife (and 3 young boys) and after 4 years of that nonsense I decided to pay cash for a 2007 Honda Odyssey. Exciting - I know.

I have been wanting an STI for quite a while, but didn't get serious about it until I saw how beautiful yet sporty the new 2015 models were. I loved the improved interior - both in refinement and space (I always felt my 2005 STI's interior was cheap and cramped). We took a trip to Dallas this week and I decided to go look at a 2015 Ice Silver Metallic STI Limited with Keyless Access / Start. I had wanted a white or red STI - but when I saw the ISM on the showroom floor of the dealership I immediately changed my mind.

With my wife's blessing, I parted ways with the 10 year old, oil leaking Mazda 6 and purchased the 2015 ISM STI Limited. It's been a great few days so far, but since I live so close to work (like 0.5 miles away) and since we are in the middle of town I don't see much drive time in my future. The best part has been has much my wife has enjoyed it - she actually has driven it more than I have.

Unlike my 2005 STI, I don't plan on doing any modifications to this car (I even promised my wife that it would remain stock until the power train warranty runs out). The only "modifications" I could see myself doing are adding a radar detector (yet I feel I drive better and safer when I don't have one) and switching out the auto dimming mirror for a Homelink mirror. Unlike the 2005 STI, there isn't anything I really want to change on the car - the exhaust is plenty deep and loud - and appearance wise there is nothing I could see to make it better.

So, there probably won't be much if any updates to this journal, but I thought I would go ahead and reserve my spot.

My old 2005 Mazda 6 next to the new 2015 STI (I won't miss the Mazda 6 at all):

And for nostalgia's sake - I've included a link to my old STI:

Nachos Libres' 2005 WRB STI

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Re: Nachos Libres' 2015 ISM STI Limited

Welcome back! Had the hatch on the mazda 6, eh? Also, I take it that wasn't your stingray? Let me know how you think the shifter and clutch feels coming from the 2005 (same here).

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Welcome back! Had the hatch on the mazda 6, eh? Also, I take it that wasn't your stingray? Let me know how you think the shifter and clutch feels coming from the 2005 (same here).
Yeah, the Mazda 6 was fully loaded - hatch, leather, moon roof. Awesome car, the only sucky part was that it was an automatic and that once we bought ours there were so many of them out on the road - it was almost like driving a Mustang. :)

Yeah, the Stingray wasn't mine. I met a friend in Dallas and that's what he was driving. A very awesome car but when you put the STI next to I think the STI looks a lot better.

As far as shifter and clutch, I honestly can't remember what the 2005 felt like. I will say after not having driven stick for 6 years it was a very easy transition. In fact, my friend that had the Stingray with MT drove the STI a lot worse than I did - he was complimenting me on my driving.

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts

I know you're just dying to become a mod again. ;)

Congrats on the car. I'm loving the new 2015 and would love to get back into one but the STI's are just too much now and the WRX is on my radar.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I know you're just dying to become a mod again. ;)

Congrats on the car. I'm loving the new 2015 and would love to get back into one but the STI's are just too much now and the WRX is on my radar.
Ain't nobody got time for that. :)

And bro I love it - yeah it is definitely expensive - but I'm looking to keep it 10 years and it seems the STIs are holding their values a lot better than back in 2009. Besides, I know before when I bought a car and didn't go all out I ended up regretting it in the end, but, this is the year to get the WRX. I wish they would have put the WRX engine in the STI, but I wasn't willing to wait another year to see what happens.

I'll be looking to see what you do - and I'm definitely going to be around a lot more now that I am back in the game.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Do you have paint chips on trunk? The TSB # is 12-172-14. I've got a 2015 STI and waiting for parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Congrats man! I was set on getting Black or White, but when I saw the silver in person, I was sold too

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Do you have paint chips on trunk? The TSB # is 12-172-14. I've got a 2015 STI and waiting for parts.
No. I've checked twice already. I'm sure it will end up happening since I probably shut my trunk too hard anyway but nothing yet.

Congrats man! I was set on getting Black or White, but when I saw the silver in person, I was sold too
Agreed, even if given the choice now between white or silver I would pick silver hands down.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Nice ride. I wish I had the auto dimming mirror :(
Once I pull the trigger on the Homelink mirror I'll be selling the auto dimming one.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Nachos Libres' 2015 ISM STI Limited

The home link mirror is next on my list. I miss the garage controls and compass that I had in my Outback.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Nachos Libres' 2015 ISM STI Limited

Once I pull the trigger on the Homelink mirror I'll be selling the auto dimming one.
The home link with auto dim is what you are getting right? That's what I have from the factory and I love having both features.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
LED DRL / High Beam Install

This past week I installed the Homelink mirror which is a quick 2 minute install if one already has the Auto Dimming mirror installed. The calibration of the compass (which meant driving around the block slowly) took longer than the install did.

I also installed the DRL / High Beam LEDs from SubiSpeed as well. This was an easy install as well, I didn't have to remove anything except the halogen bulbs and then plug the LEDs in. Took maybe 5 minutes total for both sides.

Today I washed the car for the second time (by hand) and went ahead and applied a quick coat of wax by hand. I plan on taking it to a professional detailer in a month or two to get a full clay bar, polish, and wax treatment but thought I would put a protective coat on there in the mean time. The downside from cleaning my car meant I found a little door ding (might have been from my own kids opening our van door in the garage on it since I park the car far away from people every time I take the car out) and then two scratches right close to the bottom of the front fender (underneath the STI emblem) and then a scratch on the right quarter panel. I don't know what these would have come from except from a rock or something being kicked up and scratched against it. I'm hoping when I go and get the car detailed by a professional that they can remove these or make them less noticeable.

·
Registered
486 Posts

Nachos Libres, would you say that the DRL's / High Beam match any other particular lights within the headlights? With respect to color temp.

·
Registered
843 Posts

Looking good sir! I have heard a couple of folks now stating that the lights from Subispeed are a bit loose at the connection, and they rattle while driving. How do you feel they fit?

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Looking good sir! I have heard a couple of folks now stating that the lights from Subispeed are a bit loose at the connection, and they rattle while driving. How do you feel they fit?
They felt a little loose once I installed them (like I could move them a small amount with my hand at the base of the bulb while with the stock halogen bulb you don't have this issue) but I honestly haven't had any issues (they don't move around while driving - a week later they are still sitting in the same position I put them in and that's with hitting several bumps and putting several hundred miles on it since the install). They look awesome, are super bright, and the best upgrade I could think of for $90.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Nachos Libres, would you say that the DRL's / High Beam match any other particular lights within the headlights? With respect to color temp.
Sorry for the late reply, I guess I missed this question. The color temp (6000K) is a little bluer compared to the stock LED low-beams. 5000K would probably be a better match but when I bought these they weren't an option (that I know of) and honestly I never run my high beams at the same time as my low beams so I don't think anyone would notice anyway.

I plan on getting the 5000K LED bulbs for the fog lights - hopefully my wife will buy these for me for Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Valentine 1 Install

A little over a month ago and after several weeks of researching I decided to buy the Valentine 1. I ended up getting a mirror mount for around $30 off Amazon and a couple of weeks ago after doing some research I determined that I wanted to hard wire it.

I know many people recommend using a Mirror Tap to do a quick and easy hardwire install but I wanted a n even cleaner install and I wanted the ability to use additional accessories like the bluetooth V1LE connection in order to easily update firmware and be able to use my phone/tablet as a device to control and read alerts.

Here is the actual install guide in case someone else wants to see how to easily hard wire the Valentine 1 or other radar detector without using a Mirror Tap: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-sti-discussion/275050-install-guide-2015-wrx-sti-valentine-1-hard-wire.html#post4072453

1 - 20 of 171 Posts