IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GR hatchback has a mystery exhaust smell since it was brand new (in stock form). I can't smell it all the time but only when I am in traffic sometime. I can smell it inside the cabin when windows are closed.

A shop checked for leaks from Headers to Uppipe to Turbo to Downpipe to Catback, no leaks anywhere. All of the aforementioned components are new (and new gaskets as well) so I am running out of ideas on where to look. PCV is new too....

I am running stock intake box, Crawford V3 AOS, KillerB ELH, Inferno custom Uppipe, Invidia downpipe, and Borla catback.

What else could it be ? Almost feels like it is coming from the vents :confused:

·
Registered
319 Posts
the exhaust also comes in from the rear, as you sit in traffic the exhaust "clouds" around you...I have same smell while sitting...the car is not airtight...if you recirculate the air in the car it can help, but the cars also (haven't found one on mine yet but also haven't removed panels lol) have vents usually in the trunk area which can be subject to letting external smells into the car...im currently killerb elh, cobb catted DP and stock catback and get smell too. I also had at one time when it was really bad, the hose going into the PCV split...fixed it and smell calmed down a little!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..... almost 9 years of ownership and I wouldn't have thought to look there... I can easily open the vent with very little effort and that explain why exhaust smell were stronger in windy conditions....

I'll try to use some thick sound-proofing material to cover the vents up to see if the exhaust smell doesn't come back.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
9 yr old car? Have its valve cover gaskets been replaced yet? Drops of oil smell terrible and are in the front where it will get blown into the car. you wont see it till it gets really bad. Eventually it will look like its about to catch fire - and it might!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
If you are smelling an exhaust smell from the air vents then it is most likely something in the engine bay either leaking or burning lol.

·
Premium Member
5,274 Posts
My GR hatchback has a mystery exhaust smell since it was brand new (in stock form).
Well, it wasn't a valve cover gasket when it was new anyway . . .

I can't smell it all the time but only when I am in traffic sometime. I can smell it inside the cabin when windows are closed.
. . .
What else could it be ? Almost feels like it is coming from the vents :confused:
Another cars exhaust! In traffic your far more likely to smell a car if front of you than your own. I hate being in back of diesels!!!

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
After jiffy lube and they spill oil over the wrapped headers. It's also good for a bit of under the bonnet smoke. Think of it as a vintage image as you leave their shop.
Subaru model T!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been 2 weeks since I taped up the vents in the trunk with duct tape and no more exhaust smell. Another bonus is a lot less drone on the highway from my exhaust. Prior to taping up those vents, I thought my exhaust wasn't droning but now it is so much better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts