IW STi Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
If the intention is to sell it i would try and get a used turbo for a fraction of the (new) price. Alot of breakers in the UK where you can look (try scoobynet forum) they import spec-c's alot. You will lose alot of money because you can't ask 2k more for the car just because it has a new stock turbocharger. I watched the video about the dislike's you have and the one about the seats well i experience the exact opposite ... the USDM/EDM spec seats are waaaay to wide for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Quite a while without an update.

During this year (and with some help from my mates) i decided to keep my spec c.

What happend?
During a Time Attack Event last year i figured out that my vf36 makes noises which are beyond good.
So around September last year i removed the OEM VF36 Twinscroll and brought it to a company (STK in Hamm (near the river Sieg), Germany. They tested the vf36 and told me (what i kindly expected) my ball bearings are done and the compressor wheel was unbalanced.
So i ordered a new IHI VF36 for cheap ~2250€. Also ordered all necessary screws, nuts and seals which resulted in additionally ~200€.
After installing the new VF36 Turbo in January 2019 there were no leaks or anything so i went to a test drive in March. I dont have winter tyres and my Speccy isnt leaving the garage during winter.
During the Test drive i noticed tha in my small map i had now ~1.5 Bar (before it was 1.35) and in my bigger Map i had 1.7Bar instead of the 1.45...

I went to a different Mapping company and they also discovered the difference in Boost Pressure.
They suspected that my old VF36 must have had a worn out wastegate which would explain why i have now more boost.
I decided to went down to 98 Oktan (Super Plus). After 1 and a half year of driving on Aral Ultimate 102 i was sick of searching the next Aral Petrol station with Ultimate 102.
Also at the Mapping company i switched from my HKS Suction Kit to the OEM intake system.
Car runs great know with around ~310HP and no extras like Launch Control etc (which i only used once and never again...).

Next steps are on the list :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If the intention is to sell it i would try and get a used turbo for a fraction of the (new) price. Alot of breakers in the UK where you can look (try scoobynet forum) they import spec-c's alot. You will lose alot of money because you can't ask 2k more for the car just because it has a new stock turbocharger. I watched the video about the dislike's you have and the one about the seats well i experience the exact opposite ... the USDM/EDM spec seats are waaaay to wide for me.
You are right, but i wanted to drive the car until its sold, so i calculated that it would take atleast 6 month until it will be sold. I still drove on the Nordschleife etc and i was kinda afraid that a used one could brake again and i have to remove this piece of sh*t twice! ;) :p

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Did I get the price right? 2250 euro for a stock turbo??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did I get the price right? 2250 euro for a stock turbo??
Yes. :D
Special car, Special prices ¯\(ツ)

The VF36 never existed in the european Area, but its listed at Subaru Germany as a Part. At Subaru Germany i would have to pay ~2500€ for the same Turbo.
The VF36 is so expensive because it was only made for the Spec C Models, has a ball bearing, Titanium shaft and wheel and is a Twinscroll. :)
For sure for nearly the same price i could get aftermarket Twinscrolls, but i decided to stay OEM. ;)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
As long as you are happy.

That price would have gotten a factory style rebuild with much superior internals as well as similar style and size turbos with much better technology but I understand you wanted to stay oem style.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts