IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am faced with the Sti/Evo dilemma (like many) and have talked to owners, researched the sites, and have read every tidibit of information possible yet somehow manage to change my mind on a weekly basis as to which one I am going to purchase. In all honesty, I do favor the STi, yet I have two hangups with the car that I need some input on;

First- the heatsoak problem. Right now my dd is an '01 cherokee and I have had heatsoak problems with the car since day 1. Granted, it only happens on hot days under optimal conditions, but if I spend 30k+ on a car I really don't want to run into these issues again.

Second- understeer. I believe from what I have read that this can be corrected from a camber adjustement and stiffer sway bars. Is there one mod (i.e. Hotchkis competition package) that will easily eliminate this?

Thanks in advance.
THis site has alot to do with me favoring the STi as well.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
i don't have heat soak problem unless im sitting still in traffic in a hot day.... well, IMO the sti runs like **** on any hotday because sti engine compartment gets mighty hot. im pretty sure you can just get thicker front sways and more camber in front to eliminate the understeer

·
Registered
451 Posts
ireally think you'd only need a thicker rear sway bar, or just put the diff to full open ;) the under steer IMO isnt really that bad unless you go into a corner really hot and under heavy breaking.

regardless of where your intercooler is, on hot days its not going to run as well as on a cold day. put some ice in the intercooler sprayer tank. really you're only going to notice heat soak at a drag strip. thats the only place i noticed my car felt a bit slower the longer i was there. of course it was 89F and super humid too. during an AutoX running all day, i didn't notice it at all.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
1. I have rarely experienced anything attributable to actual heat soak. Sure, it's not as quick on a hot day, but that's because of the hot air, not heat soak. Maybe if you live in a real hot area of the country or you do a lot of stop & go driving, it could be a noticable issue.

2. Yes, it can understeer. But you have to be hauling ass into a corner to get that to be a problem ... and it's really not a problem, it's pretty light understeer and very controllable. Given that I've only experienced understeer on the road when it's wet outside and I'm driving like an ass ... well, that's probably better than having oversteer in that situation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on adding a FMIC down the road and some heatwrap, so I am assuming that will aid in keeping things a bit cooler under the hood. Thanks for the input so far. Anybody have any experience with the Hotchkis competition package.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I understand your concern about both heatsoak and understeer because they are pretty prevalent in these cars but I don't think that either should sway you from a STi because both are fixable. If understeer concerns you... then I would look into buying a larger FSB... or as you mentioned the hochkis sway bar kit (lots of people on this forum run them, just look up their reviews). Having sway bars makes a huge difference in the car's performance on a Subaru chassis. I've never had an issue with heatsoak but I've never actually taken the car to a drag strip before so I'm not exactly sure how bad it is.. but I couldn't imagine the situation to be overwhelmingly significant. As you mentioned in your post... a FMIC would help tremendously down the road. Good luck with your decision... wish I could help more. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.