IW STi Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah and the 2021 models going for 55k + if you can find one…. My 2019 base STI is worth 40k right now at least with 25k miles
Its great when car value stays strong and appreciates. But now I want to keep the miles off of it lol. These cars are special. One of the few cars out there where I never want my drive to end. Double edge sword! In stock form its not the fastest car out there, and that's okay for me, but boy oh boy these cars are an absolute pleasure to drive right off the floor.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
859 Posts
Automakers at this point in time are able to do one of three things with their performance cars. Either give one last hurrah for their Internal Combustion Engine cars, adapt their performance cars to have electrification in mind already, or axe them completely. Time and money are against Subaru and it forced their hand.
And then there's Porsche... making a full blown EV platform (Taycan) and converting other chassis for EV trims (Panamera and Macan) while simultaneously building more badass large displacement N/A cars with manual transmissions (GT3, GT4, etc.).
AND, also making their other trims (Base, S, GTS) fast medium-displacement turbos, while still offering lower end models with 'fair' sized turbo motors (Cayman/Boxster and Macan 4cyl turbos), and hybrid trims in many models as well.
And to put the cherry on top, Porsche has invested tens of millions of dollars in developing, testing, and producing a synthetic alternative to gasoline that is 'net zero' and will likely be available to us within the next decade....

Subaru and their basic turbo 4cyl in every single model are really behind lol 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
See about
6,414 Posts
I'm not really a motorhead and I hadn't had a "motorhead car" for 50 years and I never got the cars I wanted to build then more than started. In fact all my cars have had been stock. In 2012 I after my stock 2004 WRX died. I had appreciated the WRX strengths and thought an STI would better its weaknesses so I bought a used 2005. I was impressed and began learning of the cars potential. In 2015 it was built. I thought it might be the last real chance to be able to drive a car like that on the street.

I wasn't far off . . .

Reactions: Reverend

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
859 Posts
I'm not really a motorhead and I hadn't had a "motorhead car" for 50 years and I never got the cars I wanted to build then more than started. In fact all my cars have had been stock. In 2012 I after my stock 2004 WRX died. I had appreciated the WRX strengths and thought an STI would better its weaknesses so I bought a used 2005. I was impressed and began learning of the cars potential. In 2015 it was built. I thought it might be the last real chance to be able to drive a car like that on the street.

I wasn't far off . . .
I mean, a built blob is sort of right on the money in terms of a 'drivers car'.
The only way to go further with that is to pick up something that is far less practical, like a Miata lol.

With the exception of the STi (which still got fatter), most brands started getting fat in like 2009 and really killed the fun in like 2012.
Cars started getting like 3-500lbs heavier 'for safety' and then around 2012 electric power steering went into everything and every car lost it's road feel.

My other car is a 2009 and in 2013 the next gen did get faster, but it also got electric steering... and bigger... and slightly heavier.
Owners of the new cars still comment how much more direct and raw the old car was.

Look at BMW!
They used to be the 'ultimate driving machine' and now they are like cigarette boats on wheels.
Fast... but fat and heavy and numb... and now they are just stupid looking 😂

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Its great when car value stays strong and appreciates. But now I want to keep the miles off of it lol. These cars are special. One of the few cars out there where I never want my drive to end. Double edge sword! In stock form its not the fastest car out there, and that's okay for me, but boy oh boy these cars are an absolute pleasure to drive right off the floor.
Mines a daily…. Hoping to get something to make it a weekend car when the market stabilizes

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feel like this last generation of the STI, while certainly not the same raw "pure" care it used to be, is a good combination of both worlds. Still has mostly the same engine, trans, driveline that made the original STIs great. Has better creature comforts and such that make it a better daily car than the older smaller ones. More space for obese Americans (like me), more features for connectivity to keep it relevant, but still that old time of rock-n-roll under the hood. Retaining the Hydraulic Power Steering really helped retain the analog feel so many of us enjoy about the STI. Even if we DID get the 5th Generation STI like Subaru had planned, that feature would've likely gone away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I feel like this last generation of the STI, while certainly not the same raw "pure" care it used to be, is a good combination of both worlds. Still has mostly the same engine, trans, driveline that made the original STIs great. Has better creature comforts and such that make it a better daily car than the older smaller ones. More space for obese Americans (like me), more features for connectivity to keep it relevant, but still that old time of rock-n-roll under the hood. Retaining the Hydraulic Power Steering really helped retain the analog feel so many of us enjoy about the STI. Even if we DID get the 5th Generation STI like Subaru had planned, that feature would've likely gone away.
Couldn’t agree more. I personally owned an 05 with FBO and 20g on pump 93 and was a blast. Had a hard time selling it bc I loved the raw nature, but I did want something more comfortable, so I traded in for a VA WRX DIT with hopes the new next gen STI would go somewhere down that path leaving me with a good starting car for less entry cost. I was way off, and also ended up not enjoying the change. Completely different car but great on gas lol. I took some time away from Subaru and ended up snagging a very low mileage 1 owner 2020 STI before the boom assuming they were the best pre-corona supply chain issues and I was pretty spot on. Greenspeed has put a tiny wrinkle in the equation but not too worried about mod limitations overall. Corona came along, economic changes struck, and now we have the last of the EJ cars. I’m a pig in shit! But this all is pretty expected, and with VSC is doing with electric rally I can only imagine they are a great test bed for future STI configuration. I won’t buy an electric car, but an electric STI 2door hatch. Where do I sign?!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Couldn’t agree more. I personally owned an 05 with FBO and 20g on pump 93 and was a blast. Had a hard time selling it bc I loved the raw nature, but I did want something more comfortable, so I traded in for a VA WRX DIT with hopes the new next gen STI would go somewhere down that path leaving me with a good starting car for less entry cost. I was way off, and also ended up not enjoying the change. Completely different car but great on gas lol. I took some time away from Subaru and ended up snagging a very low mileage 1 owner 2020 STI before the boom assuming they were the best pre-corona supply chain issues and I was pretty spot on. Greenspeed has put a tiny wrinkle in the equation but not too worried about mod limitations overall. Corona came along, economic changes struck, and now we have the last of the EJ cars. I’m a pig in shit! But this all is pretty expected, and with VSC is doing with electric rally I can only imagine they are a great test bed for future STI configuration. I won’t buy an electric car, but an electric STI 2door hatch. Where do I sign?!
I think it someone said in the feed the “STI” badge will be worn by a car that is NOT biased on the WRX platform. It will be some futuristic looking vehicle, could even be a compact SUV or something. Not exactly ready to sign for that, plus, it would be very expensive no doubt over 40k +.

I too got my STI before the market crashed…. 2019 STI base 11k miles for 33k an absolute steal. In love with the car and I too am a “ Pig in shit” 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
61 Posts
... with VSC is doing with electric rally I can only imagine they are a great test bed for future STI configuration. I won’t buy an electric car, but an electric STI 2door hatch. Where do I sign?!
The electric rallycross cars that are being used in Nitro Rallycross this season are developed mostly by Olsbergs MSE. Vermont SportsCar, Xite Energy, and other teams that are competing in the Group E class for NRX are all using the FC1X that Olsbergs made specifically for electric rallycross use. As awesome as it would be to see a manufacturer come in and make a road-going version of something like this 1000hp tube frame swappable battery pack EV monster, it's incredibly unlikely. VSC is racing with this package and may even develop their own car for racing, but that won't translate back into an electric sports car for Subaru. I would love to be proven wrong on this.

Subaru will either base the new Electric STI on an existing electric platform they have or it'll be based on something jointly shared with Toyota. We're probably at least 5 years out from seeing what they do and... honestly... I'm not even sure if Subaru knows how they want to approach it at this stage in the game. Up until recently their plan was to make a STI variant of the current 2022 WRX. The reason their first EV is a joint project with Toyota is because they really didn't have anything ready to offer as an EV to begin with. Their foray in to Hybrids on their own was a flop and their current Crosstrek Hybrid just stole Toyota's Rav4 Prime system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
...VSC is racing with this package and may even develop their own car for racing, but that won't translate back into an electric sports car for Subaru. I would love to be proven wrong on this.

Subaru will either base the new Electric STI on an existing electric platform they have or it'll be based on something jointly shared with Toyota. We're probably at least 5 years out from seeing what they do and... honestly... I'm not even sure if Subaru knows how they want to approach it at this stage in the game. Up until recently their plan was to make a STI variant of the current 2022 WRX. The reason their first EV is a joint project with Toyota is because they really didn't have anything ready to offer as an EV to begin with. Their foray in to Hybrids on their own was a flop and their current Crosstrek Hybrid just stole Toyota's Rav4 Prime system.
I would love for you to be proven wrong too lol. Subaru seems to be in a perfect spot to release a new STI whether its in 5 or 10 years. They have relationship with Toyota which is fantastic, and theyre tied to motorsport. Pairing EV with motorsport is a tough bridge to gap, but with VSC and the mentioned about making it more appealing I have to say Subaru is searching for that special combination that will make the STI another 20yr staple in motorsport, enthusiast level, or what have you. Either way an EV go cart is way more appealing than a Tesla speed boat. This is all assuming that there is merit to the statement that the next gen STI will be electric of course...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts