IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Key issues that caused this: (opinion)

1. Subaru wasn’t going to come through with the HP gain that the car community had “Rumored”. Almost everyone was screaming that “ it’s gonna be 400HP”. Even though Subaru itself never mentioned a estimation on HP. I think realizing they would fall short of that was a key issue.

2. Body style. The WRX 2022 body style was received with a lot of let’s say “ skepticism”. …. Well let’s call it what it is. Ugly. As Subaru has always done the STI will look very similar to the WRX but with many key performance features inside and out. Seeing the WRX designs flop also played a part in this!

3. Competition. Subaru had fallen so far behind the competition: Type R, GR Corolla, 400z , Golf R, and heck you can make a case for Voloster N. All of these cars were more than likely going to over shadow the STI for nearly the same price. STI was simply not going to perform as well as some of these and more than likely not going to achieve the fuel economy either.

4. Subaru as a company is trying to move away from ICE and moving quickly towards electric. Many other companies including Audi are expected to go full electric soon! Could be that Subaru wants to get ahead of what seems to be the market of the future. But…. Who wants an electric STI kinda defeats the purpose 🤷‍♂️

just my thoughts!!!!!!

check out my YouTube: BooSTId.

very new to YouTube would appreciate support.
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's all about the money I think...

1. Disagree. The power may be limited at first, but the car community and enthusiast find way to extract the power out of a car engine. Where its weak, they find ways to strengthen them.
2. Agree. I don't know what happen to the rear bumper. I don't understand the big bump at the bottom. Maybe the designer lives in the city and when he parks his car on the street, the rear bumper always get hit. So, he designed an extra bump like a built-in protection.
3. Disagree. While I never driven any of the cars you mentioned, I don't think any of those cars can overshadow the WRX Sti performance driven by Travis P in Mt Washington and Gymkhana 2020. The steering and handling of these car is one of the best. I am glad and very happy I chose WRX Sti over the other cars you mentioned.
4. Agree. The top management right now making the decision may not be a car enthusiast. Subaru may have allocated the money for the development of electric cars instead.
It is my hope that it will be just a pause in the life cycle of WRX Sti. That, it will come back and be revive sometime in the future.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's all about the money I think...

1. Disagree. The power may be limited at first, but the car community and enthusiast find way to extract the power out of a car engine. Where its weak, they find ways to strengthen them.
2. Agree. I don't know what happen to the rear bumper. I don't understand the big bump at the bottom. Maybe the designer lives in the city and when he parks his car on the street, the rear bumper always get hit. So, he designed an extra bump like a built-in protection.
3. Disagree. While I never driven any of the cars you mentioned, I don't think any of those cars can overshadow the WRX Sti performance driven by Travis P in Mt Washington and Gymkhana 2020. The steering and handling of these car is one of the best. I am glad and very happy I chose WRX Sti over the other cars you mentioned.
4. Agree. The top management right now making the decision may not be a car enthusiast. Subaru may have allocated the money for the development of electric cars instead.
It is my hope that it will be just a pause in the life cycle of WRX Sti. That, it will come back and be revive sometime in the future.
Great feedback man! I will say for your first point you disagreed on, I’m talking stock power. I won’t deny we can build and improve! But the fact is Subaru wasn’t going to release a 400 hp STI this year and cover it under full warranty. The S209 is the ultimate STI I think this years had potential to be a mimic of that platform. Kinda like the 2019-2021 models having the type RA platform from 2018 ( which was very improved). However, most car blogs, magazines, and internet sources were screaming “ STI will make close to 400 HP!!!!!” - I don’t think that was ever the case…… thoughts????

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
853 Posts
A fun thing to consider, other things aside.
New platform = global platform
Global platform = electric power steering
Electric power steering = poor steering characteristics
= no fun

The only brand that has managed to pull off a 'successful' electric steering is Porsche, and they were testing it in racecars almost 20 years ago.
Even still, you put someone in a 992 and a 997 and their comments would be something along the lines of 'the new one is obviously faster and more refined, but the old one is more responsive and raw.'
Look what it did to BMW.... they went from sharp handling sport sedans to powerful vague boats on wheels.

The STi was probably one of the last cars being sold to still have hydraulic steering.
At this point it's highly unlikely it could carry forward to a new chassis, so that's another point against a future successor existing that would be an improvement rather than a compromise.
That and Subaru's limited experience with electric steering till this point has been on pedestrian models and not sport trims.

Reactions: CT Boost

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sales numbers for the STi are minuscule. It's a LOT of money to develop additional trims. Subaru does not have the money for this stuff.

Throw in emissions, CAFE, and that the STi doesn't "sell other models" (ie, not a halo car in any way shape or form) and it doesn't make sense for them.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sales numbers for the STi are minuscule. It's a LOT of money to develop additional trims. Subaru does not have the money for this stuff.

Throw in emissions, CAFE, and that the STi doesn't "sell other models" (ie, not a halo car in any way shape or form) and it doesn't make sense for them.
Yes I believe WRX and STI only makes up 5% of Subarus sales!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now they are selling the wilderness models for the same price as the STI, are going to sell way more and since it’s all a global platform way cheaper to produce.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great thread. I was very disappointed that the new STI was cancelled. I was looking forward to it being my new daily driver. If they could have just done three things. A small bump in HP, cleaned up the rear bumper, and modernized the inside a little I would have bought it. But I realize I am probably in the minority. However, I am gonna wait and see what an all electric STI would be. If that's gonna be the party now I am hoping they can make it a true STI.

Reactions: Jcolo

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thread. I was very disappointed that the new STI was cancelled. I was looking forward to it being my new daily driver. If they could have just done three things. A small bump in HP, cleaned up the rear bumper, and modernized the inside a little I would have bought it. But I realize I am probably in the minority. However, I am gonna wait and see what an all electric STI would be. If that's gonna be the party now I am hoping they can make it a true STI.
I think a hybrid STI would be better than fill electric, but I wonder if all the things we love about the STI will be inevitably lost….

·
Registered
73 Posts
Resurrect with a F6 33b ICE coupe ala OG 22b, hybrid it and still happy. Drop outback and bring levorg with a sport and wilderness trim, forester stays, turbo option the crosstrek with a F4DIT and wilderness pkg. Big families get the Ascent with F6 3.3T option. Subaru crowd stays happy and healthy!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are they going to pump that beautiful boxer rumble in an electric WRX and call it an STI…
The only way your gonna get that rumble is if you secure a STI of an older generation! I’d say the next Gen is a sure bet to have no rumble….

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As long as you have the 40+ thousand dollars for the all electric STI. I’d say 40k is the low end…. Going all electric or hybrid is gonna have this vehicle in a totally new cost bracket. I personally could not afford a 40k+ Subaru… and really I wouldn’t want to be able to. At that point you just go with something better and faster! By then Tesla will be your premier electric and for the price of the electric STI you might as well get a Tesla who is gonna have the better track record! Thoughts????

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
853 Posts
As long as you have the 40+ thousand dollars for the all electric STI. I’d say 40k is the low end…. Going all electric or hybrid is gonna have this vehicle in a totally new cost bracket. I personally could not afford a 40k+ Subaru… and really I wouldn’t want to be able to. At that point you just go with something better and faster! By then Tesla will be your premier electric and for the price of the electric STI you might as well get a Tesla who is gonna have the better track record! Thoughts????
Lol, Tesla 🤢

Reactions: Jcolo

·
Registered
759 Posts
EV/Hybrid is such bs. We will not see ICE cars die. On synthetics they are far more economical than a hyrbid or EV without considering what happens when the batterys are no good

·
Registered
170 Posts
awenthol nailed it. subaru is a boutique. huge expense of sti development yoy was never sustainsable hence the same engine for how many years? balance sheet loved everything but the sti. can't wait for to see what an ev or half ev sti looks like. in it for the grip at this point

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are they going to pump that beautiful boxer rumble in an electric WRX and call it an STI…
No, Subaru stated in the announcement they made that cancelled the WRX STI that the next car to bear the STI badge will not be based on a WRX. Which also tells me this is the last generation of the WRX to expect. A new STI won't bother with Boxer Rumble because it won't be remotely related to the WRX it was based on in the first place. It'll be an electric sportscar on a new platform.

Subaru planned on releasing a WRX STI up until recently. We had concepts, we had development, we even still had signs in the 2022 WRX that it was ready for WRX STI parts. Even the center console coin tray could swap out to have a DCCD / SI-Drive controller. It was likely ready to be unveiled around the time the WRX was unveiled. But with a global shift in emissions standards, demand for EVs rising, and the already expected low production numbers for a niche car like the WRX STI, it was likely killed off in a board meeting spreadsheet.

Automakers at this point in time are able to do one of three things with their performance cars. Either give one last hurrah for their Internal Combustion Engine cars, adapt their performance cars to have electrification in mind already, or axe them completely. Time and money are against Subaru and it forced their hand.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, Subaru stated in the announcement they made that cancelled the WRX STI that the next car to bear the STI badge will not be based on a WRX. Which also tells me this is the last generation of the WRX to expect. A new STI won't bother with Boxer Rumble because it won't be remotely related to the WRX it was based on in the first place. It'll be an electric sportscar on a new platform.

Subaru planned on releasing a WRX STI up until recently. We had concepts, we had development, we even still had signs in the 2022 WRX that it was ready for WRX STI parts. Even the center console coin tray could swap out to have a DCCD / SI-Drive controller. It was likely ready to be unveiled around the time the WRX was unveiled. But with a global shift in emissions standards, demand for EVs rising, and the already expected low production numbers for a niche car like the WRX STI, it was likely killed off in a board meeting spreadsheet.

Automakers at this point in time are able to do one of three things with their performance cars. Either give one last hurrah for their Internal Combustion Engine cars, adapt their performance cars to have electrification in mind already, or axe them completely. Time and money are against Subaru and it forced their hand.
Wow great post!!!! In other words…. Grab a true STI while you can.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru WRX STI
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And if you do, it'll be a used one. Subaru has been sold out of the last of the 2021 WRX STI models nation-wide for awhile now.
Yeah and the 2021 models going for 55k + if you can find one…. My 2019 base STI is worth 40k right now at least with 25k miles

1 - 20 of 30 Posts