361 - 380 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #362 (Edited)
Re: My 2015-2017 Subaru Journal

Installed my STi front lip today:

Just Arrived:
Subaru OEM Center arm rest lid with red stitching and installed to my old JDM dual console.

To get rid of this that came with the car:

Installed Lid and JDM Dual console:

Front end done:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Re: My 2015 WRB STi

Where was the third machined piece mounted? Couldn't see it in your other photo.
Did this kit make a noticeable difference in turn in or feel?

I am also considering replacing my OEM size anti sway bar bushings, front and rear. Did you feel an improvement when you did those bushings?
I emailed Geoff at Cygnus about it and he basically told me it wasn't worth it and they didn't stock any for the rear factory size... but it looks like you swapped yours?

Great journal thread by the way, although it is now quite confusing and almost looks a little abandoned when you scroll through it with all the pages of your posts being edited and empty.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #365 (Edited)

Where was the third machined piece mounted? Couldn't see it in your other photo.
Did this kit make a noticeable difference in turn in or feel?

I am also considering replacing my OEM size anti sway bar bushings, front and rear. Did you feel an improvement when you did those bushings?
I emailed Geoff at Cygnus about it and he basically told me it wasn't worth it and they didn't stock any for the rear factory size... but it looks like you swapped yours?

Great journal thread by the way, although it is now quite confusing and almost looks a little abandoned when you scroll through it with all the pages of your posts being edited and empty.
Thanks Speedholes! The 3rd piece of this STi support kit sits in the middle of the front crossmember, it is sandwiched between the crossmember and the lower reinforcement plate, let me look for some pics that i can zoom in on the actual location. It uses the longer allen bolt that came with the kit and re use the 14mm nut.

The superpro rear sway bar bushings are special order item from Australia. I ordered them from Geoff for my WRB launch ed and for my red one. The bushings for me made an improvement over stock soft rubber bushings. I am also staying with stock rsb for now.

My apologies for the changes i made on my previous build journal.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #366 (Edited)

My 2nd attempt on doin the JPM coachworks leather parking brake lever boot, this time i am a little confident doin it:

Installed JDM Subaru Rear Fog Lamp assembly:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #368 (Edited)

Doin some rear end parts install today: Special Thanks to RallySportDirect for an amazing Holiday Sale and Cygnus Performance for my SuperPro parts.

Beatrush or SuperPro for the rear diff bushings??

Beatrush wins!

Beatrush Rear Subframe Bushing Stoppers Install V2 (V2=my 2nd time doin this):

Plus SuperPro RSB Bushings 20mm and RSB Mount Brace:

A little messy while doin install:

Beatrush Rear Strut Bar installed:

SMY Performance Door Hinge/Striker Covers:

·
Registered
665 Posts

Thanks Speedholes! The 3rd piece of this STi support kit sits in the middle of the front crossmember, it is sandwiched between the crossmember and the lower reinforcement plate, let me look for some pics that i can zoom in on the actual location. It uses the longer allen bolt that came with the kit and re use the 14mm nut.

[URL=http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/jon328is/Mobile%20Uploads/D16533E1-8373-4B45-8516-B59859E50482_zps17wknntr.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]

The superpro rear sway bar bushings are special order item from Australia. I ordered them from Geoff for my WRB launch ed and for my red one. The bushings for me made an improvement over stock soft rubber bushings. I am also staying with stock rsb for now.

My apologies for the changes i made on my previous build journal.

Thanks for the reply.
No need to apologize!

So, in that photo of the cross member, I am assuming it is not installed? I am not seeing it... but guessing it goes between the two most visible bolts?
I have the BeatRush front under chassis brace, and was just curious how the STi engineers took an approach to stiffening the chassis compared to the BeatRush design... seems much more subtle and less triangulation, though.

Also, just wondering why you ditched the Cusco rear sway bar braces in favor of the simpler Super Pro ones?

I guess I'll be contacting Cygnus about a possible special order of those stock size bushings... did they charge you extra for shipping from Aus?

...oh, and I'm surprised you didn't do the BeatRush rear subframe brace at the same time as the inserts...
Either way, it's fun to watch the progress.
I think you've inspired me to possibly start a jaournal as well! :):tup:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #370

Thanks for the reply.
No need to apologize!

So, in that photo of the cross member, I am assuming it is not installed? I am not seeing it... but guessing it goes between the two most visible bolts?
I have the BeatRush front under chassis brace, and was just curious how the STi engineers took an approach to stiffening the chassis compared to the BeatRush design... seems much more subtle and less triangulation, though.

Also, just wondering why you ditched the Cusco rear sway bar braces in favor of the simpler Super Pro ones?

I guess I'll be contacting Cygnus about a possible special order of those stock size bushings... did they charge you extra for shipping from Aus?

...oh, and I'm surprised you didn't do the BeatRush rear subframe brace at the same time as the inserts...
Either way, it's fun to watch the progress.
I think you've inspired me to possibly start a jaournal as well! :):tup:
The third piece of the sti stiffener is installed in the pic, it is hard to see when installed.

Yes i did not order the rear brace due to the stock one is good already, on my wrb i installed the cusco piece.

The Superpro 20mm rear sway bar bushing special order cost me $80 shipped from Australia.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #371 (Edited)

More parts arrived today:

JDM Aero Splash Guard in Pure Red:

Raceseng Ashiko in Raw Aluminum Shiftknob and Beatrush Shifter Bushing:

Beatrush Front Strut Bar:

Cusco Clear E-brake release button:

Aero Splash installation:

Shift Knob Install:

Mini Meet with z30...

Lightning Red and Pure Red STi's :)

I did not do the "donut" marks....^^^

Beatrush Front Strut Bar Installed:

·
Registered
665 Posts

Great shots of the STi subframe brace.

I was actually told recently by a "tech chat" guy on a retail website that the center piece was supposed to be displayed behind the oil pan... seems you have it tucked nicely inside behind it though. What did the jdm instructions specify in nihongo?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

One thing catching my attention is your pic with the front bumper off with the hella horns. The front bumper beam and foam piece looks completely different than my 2015? It sits on top verse right in front. Even the foam pieces on the sides look beefier. Also do you notice any difference in clutch feel from the 2015? Some reported their 2016's were lighter and smoother.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #376 (Edited)

Great shots of the STi subframe brace.

I was actually told recently by a "tech chat" guy on a retail website that the center piece was supposed to be displayed behind the oil pan... seems you have it tucked nicely inside behind it though. What did the jdm instructions specify in nihongo?
The instructions came with the kit shows an exploded view of the parts with arrows where the bolts go, i just looked at it like a puzzle and trial and error which bolt/spacers will go. Here is the install instructions:

One thing catching my attention is your pic with the front bumper off with the hella horns. The front bumper beam and foam piece looks completely different than my 2015? It sits on top verse right in front. Even the foam pieces on the sides look beefier. Also do you notice any difference in clutch feel from the 2015? Some reported their 2016's were lighter and smoother.
Yes the bumper support foam looked different, the clutch pedal feel is softer than my 2015 and a slight release engages the clutch right away during my first week. Right now i am at 400 miles on the odometer and clutch pedal feel is getting a bit stiffer.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #377

After switching to my Advans yesterday, TPMS light came on after 12 miles of driving today and got this email from "Starlink":

Went to my local tire shop to re-teach the wheel sensors/clear error code. So this is what "starlink" is all about.."your subaru connected"

·
Registered
574 Posts

Starlink in the 2017 is supposedly more "advanced" right? Hence why the sharkfin antenna is different on the 2017 there's another radio/antenna in there for Starlink?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #379

Starlink in the 2017 is supposedly more "advanced" right? Hence why the sharkfin antenna is different on the 2017 there's another radio/antenna in there for Starlink?
I did not see any other antenna other than the roof sharkfin antenna in the 2017. Being different in dimension/different part number compared to the 2015-2016 antenna, probably what's inside the assembly is where they made some updates to the starlink.

361 - 380 of 586 Posts