IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i buy my car used with 14700 miles on it and the original owner only had the one set of keys. i need to get a second set made in case i lose it or lock it in the car. so i go to the dealership and talk to the parts guy. they dont have any keys and i have to order them. this is on thursday i think, monday the key comes in and the guy cuts it. now i have to take the key over to service to get the key programmed to the ECU. of course i have to make another appointment to do that. so i go there today and when i get there the service guy is like yea we need the security code for the programming. so i go uh i dunno what it is. the guy goes is ur owners manual in there? um yes it is but i was curious as to why he asked this cuz i knew he would find nothing. the guy gives me a hotline and tells me to call it and it will take 24 hours for them to release the code to me. so thats when i get pissed. i call them many times and still no answer, this is all while at the dealership. he goes yea get that and make another appointment. i rip out the floor mat paper, plastic seat cover, and his notebook and pen out of my car,(he's in a secret place god knows where) and i throw it all on the ground and leave. idiot. any advice as to how i can find this mystery code?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The oariginal owner had it, and is an idiot for 1) only having 1 key, and 2), not keeping trac of the metal fob that came with the keys, which has the security code.
Don't blame the dealer, blame the original owner.

I know where mine is.

·
Registered
333 Posts
makes me glad to have an 04 :lol:

that really sucks, the dealership should have told you all that crap on day 1 as soon as you said the word "key". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Stupid ??? but are you sure you don't have the little metal tab thingy anywhere? Maybe in the leather owners manual binder?

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
my 04 has a little metal tab thingie...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no im positive ive looked through everything and so did the braniac at the dealership.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Heh the original owner has a spare set and is just waiting to find your car and chop it for spare parts. Good luck, and keep the insurance paid on it. JK

Ya, just call the number and get the code from them.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
My cobra you didn't need a code to reprogram new keys, all you needed is the new keys. There was a syquence to the # of time you turned the key on and off and blah blah blah this and that then boom done new key.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
I think its so that they wont make a duplicate without it? I mean how would you like it if you lent your car to a friend and they made a copy and stole your car later? just a thought.

jomotopia said:
now that i think about it, i believe mine does too. but there's no immobilizer chip so then what is that for?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea and this is one thing that i am sorta concerned about and that is just incase the previous owner is out there with it i want to get a new code so that if he ever decides to try and steal it he wont be able to. PEOPLE ARE NUTS. i'm going back tomorrow and im really dreading it. i wish he wouldnt have lost it. im also slightly confused too because the original tire size on the vehicles is 225/45 correct? well there is only 15k miles on the car and there is 245/45 yokohoma's on it so now im worried the previous owner beat on the car. AHHH frustrating not knowing.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
beating on a car and driving it hard are two different things. Some people just don't like the stock tires at all, they are scared to drive in the rain so they put different ones on. I wouldn't really worry about it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts