IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my 05 STI for about a month and it wont go in reverse. I am not to familiar with these car so any help would be greatly appreciated. The car has 80k miles on it and has the factory clutch. It drives and shifts fine but just doesnt go in reverse.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1. clutch in
2. pull ring up
3. right and down (while holding ring up)
4. once in gear, release ring

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You've had it for a month and never used reverse?? And your just now asking? I'm hoping the car is broke, and its not that you just havn't figured out to pull the ring up...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no no no. I have put it in reverse but all of a sudden it quit working. I pull up on the ring but it still wont go in. I dont know if the cable running down became unhooked or something. I took the shifter boot off and it looked like everything was connected. I didnt know if this was common for something like this to happen or if someone has ran into this problem.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
Check the rollpin on your shifter. The reverese lockout cable attaches at that end, through the rollpin. Underneath, look for a dangling cable either towards the shifter or at the lever on the transmission. IIRC, there is a split ring or some other type of removable clip that holds the cable to the lever on the transmission.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok after looking around, checking cables, and messing with cables, it goes in reverse but the ring will get stuck in the up position from time time. So when im going down the street I could potentially put it in reverse. If I shift through the gears quick it will come back down. Atleast it goes in reverse but I dont know what has caused it to get stuck. Thanks for everyones help and input. If I figure it out I will let you all know, but not like anyone really cares anyways haha.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
Use a hammer and a punch to tap the rollpin on the shifter (one way or the other, not sure which will work) to see if the cable is bound against the inside of the shifter. You can also pull your shift knob off and try to get a LITTLE lube down there. (Rephrased from: Yank your knob off and lube the shaft. :lol:)

You should also check to make sure that cable isn't binding on anything underneath.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If your shift knob is too tight sometimes it will prevent the reverse lock from fully unlocking. Do you have the factory shift knob or is it aftermarket. I would check that then look under the car.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Intersting... My reverse ring will get stuck against the knob if I park and leave it in reverse (like facing down on a hill). It doesn't stop the car from going into reverse, though. It'll stick for a few movements and then it'll pop down into the "normal" position.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats how i got it to go in reverse was loosen the shift knob but now it gets stuck when I pull it up. I have to put it in third and it will come back down. Geez I feel like I am never going to figure this out. I really do appreciate everyones input. My buddy and me are going to try some of the suggestions you all have given me tomorrow. Ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The cable that controls the lockout can get moved into a different position then it wont engage as it should.

If its not a problem with the lockout switch inside the car it could be the cable.

Stock Shifter or aftermarket?

With aftermarket shifters usually replace the fasteners iwth zip ties to hold the lockout cable to the assembly as its routed to the revers lockout mechanism on the transmission.

Check and adjust/ wiggle and try again. See if you can get it to work with someone in the car trying the shifter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bump!

I am currently having the same problem. I recently got my clutch replaced with an act 6 puck, but after a few miles of driving, reverse won't engage properly and keeps on moving foward. Its annoying because I get people staring at me like I'm an idiot who can't drive or something.

Where do I check first?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts