IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Long story short… I just bought an 05 STi less than a month ago from a Subaru dealership certified pre owned. I started to hear some odd noises from the car (a weird clacking noise coming from the engine only when it is at around 2000rpm) So I pop the hood to try and pinpoint where its coming from and I figure while I’m under the hood why not check the oil... I pull the dipstick wipe it and place it back in… pull again… THE DIP STICK WAS BONE DRY. The car was 4 qts short of oil! How could this happen? I park in the same spot everyday and there isn’t a drop of oil so I don’t think it leaked it.

Could I have really driven 1200 miles so far with that little oil? Could it have burned that much in that time? I don’t drive the car that hard I haven’t drag raced it or autocrossed it.

If the car is eating that much oil or if the car was allowed to leave the lot that low when I bought it, what should I demand from the dealership? The strange noise went away once I added the oil.

So what do you guys think about all this? The car is still under warrantee but the damage done might not rear its head until later in the cars life...

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
well, you should have checked the oil yourself before you took the car off the lot,

but that is too late so

Notify your subaru dealership,

tell them what happened,

from there, im not sure what you really can do, since you already replaced new oil in,

lets see what others have to say

good luck

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
personally, i would not have added oil. i would have had it towed to the dealer as i found it.

no healthy motor would use 4qts in 1200 miles (my bobblehead motor used an astonishing 15 qts in 1200 miles). either they sold you an unhealthy motor, they didn't prep the car properly before giving it to you or there is a leak someplace that accounts for loss. on all three counts they owe you a motor and i wouldn't take anything less.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Excessive burning is common on the STi and turbo Subarus. Check you oil often. Also, Subaru put out a bad batch of oil fitlers last year that didn't seal properly and they leaked oil.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
BruceChapman said:
personally, i would not have added oil. i would have had it towed to the dealer as i found it.

no healthy motor would use 4qts in 1200 miles (my bobblehead motor used an astonishing 15 qts in 1200 miles). either they sold you an unhealthy motor, they didn't prep the car properly before giving it to you or there is a leak someplace that accounts for loss. on all three counts they owe you a motor and i wouldn't take anything less.

Everything BRUCE said are my thoughts, I think you should have left it without the oil but...

Goodluck

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
On the bright side a blown motor is God's way of telling you to upgrade. :lol:

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts
scubadiver424 said:
well, you should have checked the oil yourself before you took the car off the lot,
a private sale definately. i would have checked it before buying the car. you shouldn't have to check your oil behind a certified pre owned sale from a dealer. it should be assumed that it is prepped.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
silver arrow said:
Excessive burning is common on the STi and turbo Subarus. Check you oil often. Also, Subaru put out a bad batch of oil fitlers last year that didn't seal properly and they leaked oil.

that is more than excessive burning

if the filters leaked oil, then he probably would have seen it, since he stated that he parked in the same spot everyday and didnt see anything

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
BruceChapman said:
a private sale definately. i would have checked it before buying the car. you shouldn't have to check your oil behind a certified pre owned sale from a dealer. it should be assumed that it is prepped.

yes I agree with you bruce, its sad but I just have read too many cases of levels being low on brand new cars. I went through the whole PDI checklist, checked all my fluids, because unfortunately these things happen...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Start recording your mileage and how much oil burned with new oil.
And then take it to Subaru.
I'm not sure I would tell them that the oil was 4 quarts short since they might blame you for not frequently checking your oil.
I think they owe you a new engine as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have the two receipts for the oil I bought. I bought 2qts at first... and 2 more once it showed it was still way low. If it is burning that much oil it will show before its next oil change... if it doesn't that means they sold it that way... Either way I should get a new motor.

Yeah I never thought to check the oil because it had a fresh sticker on the window stating when to bring it back in for a change. But this is the second issue I have had since I bought it... I brought it back once already because it would start without the clutch depressed... I looked under the steering column and a lot of the ignition wires were taped up from where they were cut. I guess there certification process is pretty lax.

Im not a happy camper right now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And shouldn't it have thrown an oil light or something?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me stress that I didn't even have the car for an entire month... How can the dealership blame me? I'm def gonna monitor my oil consumption from this point on. I think checking the oil 1200 miles into an oil change is not unreasonable... Especially if the car showed no signs of oil burning or loss.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
QuattroAssi said:
Let me stress that I didn't even have the car for an entire month... How can the dealership blame me? I'm def gonna monitor my oil consumption from this point on. I think checking the oil 1200 miles into an oil change is not unreasonable... Especially if the car showed no signs of oil burning or loss.
What has your dealership told you since the incident? This may be something you need to take up with SOA if it's not taken care of right. Your car is certified by Subaru.

·
Registered
211 Posts
QuattroAssi said:
if you heard clacking in the engine i wouldn't want that car nomore....maybe try and get a buy back or something

·
Registered
674 Posts
Take it in and call/explain what just happened. Don't wait to see what happens on the new installment of oil... raise the question and get some real results.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I plan to take it in first thing tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on what they say

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had basically the same thing happen to me, except i took my car in for the oil change, ~1K miles after that i started to hear a slight clicking noise from under the hood on the way to dinner, so i got home and since it hadn't gone away, decided to take the car in first thing in the morning. Well, on there way there (approx 15 miles) as soon as i got off the freeway the clicking started getting louder, and when i exited the car actually stalled. I started it back up and it was REALLY loud all of a sudden, and it then started to make metal grinding moises and i knew right then the motor was toasted, i was SO pissed. I got it to the dealer about a 1/4 mile away and after 10min. they said you have no oil in the car. I responded with "well i just got an oil change by you guys within 1K miles, and the oil light never went on until i got on the driveway and they started it", all my oil changes are documented from them and all have been 2-3K miles apart because i change my oil frequently. They then said that yes, you have gotten all your oil changes before you are supposed to, but in the manual it says to check your oil every fillup, basically a CYA statement, they then said i obviously hadn't done that so it is my fault. I also said to the mechanic "shouldn't the oil warning light have gone on once my oil was even low?", and the mechanic said "well, the oil light in the subaru doesn't come on until the damage is already done", i asked "what the hell is the point of a warning light if it doesn't even warn you?", he replied with "honestly you're right, but that is the way it works, it doesn't warn you, it comes on when the damage is done." I couldn't even believe that, what the hell is the point of the oil light then SOA?
I argued with them for 2 weeks and even tried to speak to the owner of the dealership, and the owner would not talk to me about the matter, talk about shady. In the end they offered to pay for all the parts as a "goodwill", but i had to pay ~2K for labor.
Make sure you check your oil after oil changes and at least once a week, since then i havn't had one problem so i'm guessing they didn't fill my car up with oil on that last oil change because i park in the same spot too everyday and never had a leak. They checked everywhere and no oil leak at all, so i bet a drove around for 800 miles or so with probably 1/2qrt. of oil or so. I was going to go to SOA, but in the end i just decided to pay the ~2K, now i wish i would have gone to SOA :lol: I want my 2K back!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts