IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which you probably don't.

I visited my local dealer. They had ten BRZ's. They have sold ten already and it's a smaller dealership. They have a good reputation for selling WRX and STIs so that is why they have been allocated so many (as many of you know that's the basis for the allocation).

This is Patrick Subaru in Shrewsbury, MA. They are selling all their BRZ for $99 over invoice. They are looking to trade a lot of these cars for more base Imprezas. They are afraid they will be stuck with these cars over the winter months.

I drove a limited. It's sticker was just under 29k. It had every option. I really liked how low the car was, the interior was really nice, the limited seats are much nicer than the base BRZ. The instrumentation is quite awesome.

I really liked the shifter, pedal location and general feel of being inside the car. It's a small car but you don't feel at all like you are in a tuna can unlike the you would expect out of a smaller car.

Then there was the acceleration and I knew not to expect much, but it was grossly disappointing. I know this is NOT this cars strong point, but it's actually pretty sad. I don't care that the car is 2700 pound and it's a enthusiasts car... this thing just does not move well at all. You would really need to push this car on every turn just like a miata to make the most out of it at the track.

The stock tires are simply meant for a beat down. They do not grip well at all. I did about 8 off ramps during my test drive and these tires will give out very easily. I can see that the car handles like a go kart and you can correct well and drift if you KNOW how to properly do it. However, these tires are a joke. Also, I really don't like the wheels on the car at all but I am chalking that up to personal preference. I bet new wheels are out for next years model.

I do think this car would grow on me if I drove it more often and got use to it. I scared the sales guy a little bit so I didn't push it too hard. It just did not leave me going "wow" at all.

I imagine this car would be great with a turbo or super charger and some much better tires. However, I would prefer to buy a WRX or STI and modify it with a better suspension and stage 1 tune all day long and not worry about pissing my warranty away. (Obviously this means reflashing back to the stock tune if there was a problem)

The car looks great, feels great, has a much better interior than any other subaru, but it really did not inspire me AT all to buy one.

Uninspiring but pretty...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the FRS first drive event, allowed to autox the car, accel is crap. But get the car up to speed then bomb it thru turns, its amazing. Nimble in comparison to the STi, didn't need accel as you didn't scrub speed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ This

·
Registered
105 Posts
I sat in one before I bought my STi. After seeing it was a 2.0L NA, I wasn't interested. I love how all the fanbois out there keep going on and on about how its not about the power, its all about the handling blah blah blah. BS. Cars are fun when they handle well AND make good power. The only reason I would consider the BRZ is if I wanted to save some cash. Thats its strong point. But since I can afford the STi...

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Meh. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love getting sideways looks from drivers of these, as if we are on the same level, and maybe even higher! Little do they know, with a quick turn of the dial, and a well executed downshift, there's really not much they can do to keep up.

Now, when they introduce the BRZ STi...I may eat these words...

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
horrible car. makes me want to scream vomit when I see one.

only boxer engine/RWD combo that works is a Porsche.

one day you'll be able to afford the whole Porsche, but probably not.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The car looks cool. That said I would never buy one in its current power state.

Saw a guy take off at a light in one, and some sort of mazda SUV totally made him look like a snail. It was really sad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love how everyone is so concerned about power.

On a random note, a stock BRZ will pull on a stock STi from a 90 roll, and the STi won't start reeling the BRZ in until ~130.

And yes, I've also owned a STI in the past.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Seriously a 90 roll...wow that happens all the time and is totally practical.

I would have bought this car if it had more power and awd, but sadly it did not.

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
I love how everyone is so concerned about power.

On a random note, a stock BRZ will pull on a stock STi from a 90 roll, and the STi won't start reeling the BRZ in until ~130.

And yes, I've also owned a STI in the past.
:rofl:

Again, I always race 2 of 3.

First is on pavement, as usual.

Next is in the gravel.

Last is in the snow or rain, your choice, because I'm a nice guy.

STi > BRZ

*edit* is it because the STi was towing your BRZ up to 90 in the first place? Or is it because the BRZ tops out at 129, and the STi (my '04 at least) is good up to 176 and a half?

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Do it. Claims are worthless without prof.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ guys pyscho is an instructor. See his video driving the BRZ yet? The guy is nuts.

He would embarrass us even if we had 400 whp...

·
Super Sakura Dominator
11,667 Posts
^^^ guys pyscho is an instructor. See his video driving the BRZ yet? The guy is nuts.

He would embarrass us even if we had 400 whp...
It has nothing to do with being an instructor or a race car driver. This guy is greatly exaggerating claims without any proof.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts