IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohlin fixed perch strut review:

So this is the second time I tried to post this, since my first post got timed out. I just got the struts installed and here is my impression: First they screwed up on the alignment I wanted. I wanted my specs to be

Camber LF- -1.0 RF -1.0
Toe out total .10

LR -1.5 RR -1.5
Toe out total .10

They gave me 0 toe all around and only gave me -.7 left and right front.
They gave me the neg camber I wanted in the back but no toe.

I never could understand what people meant when they said that it rides much better with these struts, but now I do. It is hard to explain, but I will use a metaphor. It is like riding on a raft in the ocean. Where before the water was very rough(stock struts), now it is like the car is a hydroplane and is unaffected by the waves. It is very stable and absorbs all the bumps. No bobble head at all.

At the limit the tires do screech a little more but then I tried pushing the car past what I thought was the limit and learned something weird. The car kept pushing. It was like I could not oversteer. Is this what neutral handling is? I could just push the car so much and if I did this before the car would snap oversteer and I could go into a drift. In short it handles better. If only I could get rid of the screech from the tires. Maybe a little screech is not such a bad thing? Thoughts?

There is still a little noise (pop) coming from the rear of the car but the really obnoxious strut clunk seems to be gone. I think maybe the endlinks make this noise as it was 98 deg today.

By the way I have the settings 12 clicks from extreme left (clockwise)…I am not sure what this setting is. This is the same on all four corners. I am thinking of taking the car back and having him max out the neg camber and have him give me the neg toe I asked for but the car is much stabler on the highway. I do miss the low speed responsiveness though. Eventually I would like to get some camber plates and max out the neg camber with these. How much neg can I go and will this make a huge difference in handling?

Was it worth the 2k. I think so. Especially since I was going nuts with the strut clunk and now the car rides so much smoother. I can safely drink a cup of coffee and not spill it. J

The struts are very nice…my only regrets are:
1) tires screech a little more
2) still a little rear end noise (wth) is this I wonder
3) low speed responsiveness (toe out difference) Not the struts fault.

In all a real nice investment IMHO

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
k

wi77iam said:
Nice review. Just curious about the screeching - What tires are you running and what pressure?
re070s and pressure well let me check... 40 fr and 35 rear but I drove it 4 hrs ago

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm

wi77iam said:
Nice review. Just curious about the screeching - What tires are you running and what pressure?
Does tire pressure make a big diff in screeching?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After further review

I drove it again and I am still amazed. I might even keep my toe zeroed out. I am kind of liking the stability. The car does not tramline with these struts and the zero camber, and I don't track the car so what would be the point? Also, I can turn the radio off and not be annoyed and driven insane by strut clunk. Almost zero rattles as well. This is freakin weird. It's almost like I'm driving an m3 now. :) (With awd)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the world of real dampers !!

I know your tires are screeching due to the lacl of camber. I would throw some camber bolts in the front and crank it out to -2.0 and then see how responsive it is.

Yes check ALL bolts tomorrow. the 3 12mm bolts that hold the top hats on, as well as the main strut bolts and def check the endlinks, which are NOTORIOUS for making noise and it seems esp after you change something.

Myles

PS, ANY PICS.?????????????

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was supposed to recieve mine on friday, but I guess UPS got lost getting to my house and will deliver them on monday. Just hope nobody takes them home to try them out on their own STi during the weekend. Glad to hear that you are happy with them!!!
CONGRATS!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm

RaceComp Engineering said:

I know your tires are screeching due to the lacl of camber. I would throw some camber bolts in the front and crank it out to -2.0 and then see how responsive it is.

Yes check ALL bolts tomorrow. the 3 12mm bolts that hold the top hats on, as well as the main strut bolts and def check the endlinks, which are NOTORIOUS for making noise and it seems esp after you change something.

Myles

Can I do camber bolts or should I get the plates?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
srt2sti said:
re070s and pressure well let me check... 40 fr and 35 rear but I drove it 4 hrs ago
My experience, with the stock springs/struts, is that the car responds much better with F/R pressures within 2psi(I.E. 39F/38R, etc.) of each other. Throw out the idea that 5-6psi less in the rear is "good" for handling in this car, especially with the RE070s.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool thanx

Boxer said:
My experience, with the stock springs/struts, is that the car responds much better with F/R pressures within 2psi(I.E. 39F/38R, etc.) of each other. Throw out the idea that 5-6psi less in the rear is "good" for handling in this car, especially with the RE070s.
I appreciate the feedback:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a follow up

I am now pretty sure that the minor occasional noises are coming from my Perrin endlinks. But after driving the car around some twisties I can really tell the difference in handling. I have not even taken the car to the "lose control" point and I feel that at this point the car would be able to outdrive me, in a sense. It just sticks and stays stable the whole time around corners. I have my name on a list to get the rce camber plates to push the envelope even further. This will rid me of any tire screech, which for some reason is not as bad as it first was. I am very happy with this product and I am even thinking of just tricking out this car, since it's paid for now, even further. $$$ Hmm maybe I won't get the Skyline in a couple years. We will see.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RaceComp Engineering said:

Myles

What do I do to the endlinks if they are the culprit? Is it possible to over tighten them. Also, how do I look at the tops of the struts(tophats)? Where are they...not in the trunk I am guessing?

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
srt2sti said:
What do I do to the endlinks if they are the culprit? Is it possible to over tighten them. Also, how do I look at the tops of the struts(tophats)? Where are they...not in the trunk I am guessing?
Sometimes you have to take them apart and double check the torque settings and or check ALL the washers. They ALL make some noise here or there.

The tops are in that area between the back seat and rear deck. Its all on a wierd angle.

Myles

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found the noise!!

It's the damn sway bar! I never would have guessed. In any case the noise was very minor and now I made it a little worse by putting lithium grease on the endlink. I thought this would help since it was "duh"... lubrication. In any case I am pretty sure the noise will dissipate shortly as the llube will dry up. I also used a Q-tip to clean off alot of it. After driving it more today it seemed as if the noise was lessening.
I also found that everything was tight and the struts were quiet. :) Love not having the clunk. BTW I took a freeway onramp at around 60 mph and the car was completely planted. I am beginning to wonder if I can ever lose control in this car. :) Wait til I get the camber plates ;).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts