IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI ALL!

I have a dilema on my hands as to the future of my project car!

The thread might get a bit long but I am looking for some input from the fellow STi community.

First a little background. I fell in love with the WRX as soon as it was announced in the U.S! As soon as the 02s came out I started looking into them. Bugeyes were in my dreams! As I was in high school back then it was a pretty penny for a WRX! Late 2002 My family bought an 03 2.5TS Wagon and I purchased a 03 2.5RS Sedan. No turbo, but it was the H4, it was the AWD, it was the rally inspired! I fell in love! Started modding it, more show car than anything, but it was a start. Soon i was faster than automatic WRXes, good times. Started going to meets and etc.... Wanted more, wanted a turbo, ordered a turbo kit for the 2.5RS.... waited, waited, waited. 3 months later no turbo. So I went out and bought a used WRX!

I had big plans for the WRX, Intake , downpipe was installed, and etc etc was on its way. I got a BOV (i know i know bad boy). Then I got my previous job, and it was time to step up. I sold the WRX and got an STi!

2005 STi Aspen White

Now originally I thought 300HP would be plenty. I thought I'd add turboback, intake, bov and a tune and I'll be done. Well the mod bug came crawling in one night, and it bit, bit hard! So now onto my dilema.

The car as it sits right now dyno-ed 340AWHP with a stock turbo, and its pretty heavily modified. Now an STi is an expensive car, 30k, plus all the mods. I feel like its sort of a waste past this point. Just because I dont want to gut it, rip it, strip it, and re-do it all. Its a waste of the original product.

So, do I mod this one, and still pay for it (im making payments) whjile I mod. Or should I sell this one, buy a used damaged one, and start from the ground up. Do a complete build up. Maybe even start with a frame. The car quickly became a full project car. It was purchased in April of 2005, and it has 11,000 miles on it, and thats with 2 road trips! so actaulyl about 9,500 miles of driving. It gets tracked 3-4 times a summer, probably even more in 07 and 08. In 08 I wanted to do an engine rebuild.

I cant help but feel that its a waste of the original 30k if I am changing everything in the engine bay. Any input from all of you??

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you're calling the STI and expensive car already, you probably shouldn't be looking to take a big hit in depreciation AND sink your teeth into a project car that will take you well into the same price range as a new STI. Do you really think you need more than 340hp for something tracked 3 times a year? Are you really squeezing every bit of performance out of the car so as to leave you dissatisfied? Are you out driving the car already? If you're going to make like a race team and go from the ground up, I hope you're well off. You know how to make a small fortune racing cars? Start with a large fortune.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not that its an expensive cars. Its a definite bang for the buck vehicle! What I am saying is that I spent roughly 30k on high performance engine, exhaust sytem, turbo system, with a good ECU to manage it all, and so on.
And now that I plan to change engine internals, the comlpete intake and exhaust systems are aftermarket now, the ECU is returned with plans to have it changed even more, the sound system I added into it, I want to add rollcage, seats, harnesses, and so on and so on. So there goes the interior. I was to get rid of the back seat, I paid a premium for the STi interior. Also, soon starting to get into suspension mods, replacing STi suspension parts that also cause the car to cost more than a standard 2.5rs or wrx.

Its not dis-satisfaction. Its just that I want more. I drove lots of cars in my previous job, I drove every new ferrari (except enzo) out there, I drove the z06, the Carrera GT (my favorite), more Bentley GTs than you can fit in a city block, Lotus Elise, Lamborghini, and etc. They were all great cars, but I want the stealth sedan that can step up to them at the track. I love driving my STi, I am always satisfied. But I drive it for 10-30 miles once in a while at 2-3-4 in the morning and also to the track. And maybe to dinner fri/sat night.

No race team plans right now. Maybe in the future, but right now I want to be that guy that comes to the track, wins, and goes home happy. I have my STi because its my hobby my passion and what I like to do. I want it moded my way and driven the way I like it. The problem I have is changing even more parts, when I paid a premium to get them in the first place.

Sometimes I feel I should of just started with a FRAME and built it from the ground up.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
You've got the car, you've got the desire to go that much faster, and it seems like you're willing to get the funds to do so. It doesn't make sense to me to sell the car you have, only to get the same car in worse condition and build it up. I'm not sure how this will all work out on paper, but my question is it really worth all that time, money, and effort to build up a damaged car? 340whp is a good number no matter who you are. I'm bone stock which means I'm at 240-50 whp at the most. Mines no garage queen, she's my daily driver, track warrior, weekend mountain ripper and she still blows me away.

I say keep what you have and build it up if thats what you really want to do.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I decided to keep the current car and start with some new toys next year! Thanks!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think that your in the same boat that I was in. I originally was going to trade in my 06' STI and get a 06' Z06 then mod it. My roots lead me into throwing hard earned cash into my STI which is soon going under the knife. It's no lie that you won't get what you put into it. My satisfaction is everything to know that I will be able to take my car out to track days at Sebring, etc. and run with any horse, bull, or snake. I like knowing that I have a functional everyday car that will still perform on the weekends. FWIW, I respect those that try to do things different. Your happiness is price less. Good luck!

Cost of a new STI $33,000.
Cost of mods $15,000- $65,000+.
Laugh that you get when you pass a 250k- 600k supercar.
Priceless!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts