IW STi Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Heavy Metal Affliction

So the guys at Forza Motorsport heard about the car and wanted to do a Heavy Metal Affliction article on it. I thought it would be fun, so I told them about the history of the car and we did a photo shoot and attempted some video, but with Forza 5 coming out, they didn't have much time or many resources to get the video really finished...But I think the articale and pics turned out really well otherwise:

Forza Motorsport - Heavy Metal Affliction 2006 Murtaya

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Miss September

The Murtaya got to be Miss September in the new Microsoft 2013 RIDES calendar:

She also got nearly a dozen single-day pics throughout, too:

·
Registered
652 Posts
great build and great story.. glad there was finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

my favorite part of your build is that you actually drive and use your car.. ha ha. I'd expect a lot of people to make a garage/show/trailer queen out of this, which would be a shame, seems like it's an amazing driver's car. I saw on nwic that you had it out in the snow today.. so rad!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
A.d.+1

It's been a little over a year after finally getting her on the road, and she's getting better every day. I've put about 16,000 miles on her since last summer, and the only catastrophic issue I had was the bonnet metal latch frame snapping on the freeway, causing the bonnet to rise at 80+mph (the wire was still holding her down, so it wasn't a terribly big issue). Not a big problem; I met a cool guy who is able to weld aluminum and he welded and reinforced the living daylights out of the frame part to prevent this from happening again.

Broken-

Fixed-

Other changes including repositioning of the intake so the bonnet could be lowered to the regular height, removing spacers in the front wheels that were used to give the old snow tires more clearance, and removing any rattles (I'm kinda picky about those). Otherwise, she's just been acting like a normal car, needing only oil changes, tire rotations and balances, and gas refills.

Still hitting the shows and meeting people who are very interested and enthusiastic about her. Back at my hometown last weekend:

Getting set up early in the morning:

Showtime:

There was a cruise the night before. A professional photographer took pictures of each car and offered fake magazine cover pictures of you and your car. I figure I'd get one this year...

Photographer Guy: "I've got dozens of fake magazine cover templates for any car you can imagine...Domestics, imports, European, exotics, muscle, classic, hotrods...you name it. So, what kinda car did you have?"

Me: "Um...It's British design, but uses a Japanese powertrain, and was built in America with a US-spec engine."

Guy: "Oh......How about we just give you a poster with the name of the car at the bottom?"

"Sure."

Stopping to pet the rattlesnakes at a mid-Washington rest stop:

Future plans? A taller ratio gearset (driving around town in fifth is a bit much), a slightly bigger turbo, possibly a slightly softer suspension set up (over really bad roads she can start losing composure--I really want to tune her a bit differently, especially with all the road miles I put on her), a soft top, and possibly some custom ground effects.

mike

Oh, and she's now got a sister...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Last Adventures of 2014

Ran through some foothills with the Murtaya before she went in for some new coilovers and other Xmas presents:

Here's to an exciting 2015 for everybody and their rigs. Happy New Year everybody-

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Found a cool pic of my car (courtesy of Nick Page Photography)...easily one of my favorites:

While waiting for the new suspension, I put together a window sticker informational for any car shows I take her to in the future...not meant to be a real Monroney.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Has it already been three years since she's gotten out on the road? That would make it ten years since the journey started.

She keeps getting better...I got slightly softer springs on her (she was running on springs that were made for a car several hundred pounds heavier) and she now has an upgraded fuel pump, rails, injectors, and an external wastegate. She's probably as upgraded as you can go for a stock turbo, which was my (current) goal. I took her down and got a final tune from the guys at Cobb Tuning Surgeline.

About 400 ft-lbs in a car smaller than a Miata is pretty fun. :)

I also got pulled over for the first time the other day. The officer complimented the car but said I needed to have a front license plate. I told him I actually had a waiver from the state, and he was very surprised and wanted to see it--he had never seen one before. Now he has. :)

I'm probably going to focus more on her sister's build now that she's pretty much perfect (to me, at least)...but here's to another ten with her!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
4 years and 45,000 miles since she got out on the road, and I took her on a trip to see her sister. She's still--and probably always will be--about 95% complete, but always having something to work on also keeps her fun. The 100+ degree heat, high speeds, and steep inclines could get her to start warming up--one of the next upgrades will be larger radiator fans (her current ones are tiny, which don't help the fact that about half the radiator is obstructed by her body).

And after four years, the single piece driveshaft experiment gave way--the angle that it had to maintain caused vibrations at high speeds and eventually ate away the bushing in the tailhouse. So, on the way back from visiting her sister, we're getting that fixed. But other than that, she's been great and I can't wait to get her back on the road. :) Luckily the summer has been very sunny and I've been driving her every day.

Ready for her trip:

Made it from Seattle to Denver in two days:

Chilling between fellow 4x4s:

Visiting Troy from Suba Performance:

Visiting the Bruns of Hair Trigger Customs, the guys who worked on her body and are also currently working on her sister:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
The first drive of the year before she gets some custom suspension installed:

(This wasn't working for me, but hopefully it might for others who aren't the channel managers? If nothing else, here's the video url, too)
Murtaya Drive - YouTube

41 - 51 of 51 Posts