IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks everybody. Heading out tomorrow to pick her up and drive her home next week...after seven years.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully it will be one of the happy parts of the story...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
So I have a lot more pictures to take and a LOT more miles to go to get it home (about 1000)...but the first pics:

Not sure if I want to keep the look that the seals around the headlights creates, but it might be growing on me.

Very first pic of me with the car...at least where I haven't been working on it.

Have already had people come up next to me on the highway asking me what the car was....and one of the biggest guys I've ever seen in one of the biggest trucks I've ever seen was honking at me. At first I was scared, but then he was just trying to get my attention to give me a thumbs-up.

It's still a pretty raw car, and even a bit vicious if you aren't careful with her...but what an experience.

I'm hoping to get her in a carshow this next weekend before getting all the way back to Seattle...we'll see how that goes.

When I get back I'll have a lot more to show/write.

Mike

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
wow, the car looks great man. Glad you have it and are finally able to bring it home! It must be raw with that engine in such a small, lightweight car. I bet it's a blast to drive too. I also like the headlight seal effect, it's neat, separates the black of the headlight housings and the black of the rest of the car.

WE NEED MORE PICS!! AND more INTERIOR SHOTS!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Coming Home

So I made it the 1000 miles to my old hometown (not my final destination; I'm just spending a few days here to visit and go to a carshow). The car continues to get looks, thumb-ups, and WTFs. A lot of people who finally see her says she looks much better in person...and boy, can she be viciously fast on the road.

By her very nature she's got (and probably always will have) a few rough edges, but she was never meant to be a luxury car, and as soon as you attract attention or the pedal down, the biggest smile appears on your face.

I still need to get a final tune when I get back to my final destination and altitude, as she might be running a little lean and has a rough idle (though one that has been likened to a lopey muscle car).

I got more pics from the ride home...

Stopping at Vail:

At an old mining factory:

SLC mountain range:

My next turbo?

At an OR rest stop....shows how small the car is. Some semi truckers also came up to me asking what it was (their best guess was a V8 Miata with a bodykit).

Coming down one of the last mountain passes:

Finally getting into my old hometown:

Tried some color-keyed headlight seals and screws today:

Some interior shots:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Great shots man, Thanks for those interior shots! Love the layout of those gauges too. I bet you will enjoy that car (and the attention you get from it) for a long time!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So we got home with no issues...we even got an award at our first car show!

It was fun watching all the people try and figure out what she was....these pics were taken over the span of just a few minutes:

Uh oh...maybe too much attention?

Now the next task is official registration, then a tune, then new tires.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
The First Month

Well, I made it the entire first month and the car still works, isn't stolen, crashed, towed, confiscated, etc. I've been really enjoying her in this weather...including at the beach:

Been slowly working on her to make her even more my own...Like replacing the old worn sideview mirrors with new ones:

Getting ultra high performance a/s tires:

Getting protective paint coating/clear bra (ok, so I guess you shouldn't be able to see it):

And even getting some custom stickers for her steering wheel and wheel center caps:

I also went to an exotics car show in Redmond (they didn't really know where they wanted to put me...much less what I was. Here is me waiting for any other Murtayas to show up):

I also ran into some other Subaru fans one evening and had fun meeting everybody and answering questions about the car:

I was also asked to go to a rare car show on Mercer Island and was all excited for it, but the clear bra stuff ended up taking too long and I missed it :(

But one thing I WON'T be missing is this weekend's Big Northwest Subaru Meet...I'm in the car show, so if anybody is going, I hope to see you there!

Until next time!

Mike

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Awesome pics man, I'm glad you are still enjoying the car and it is problem-free so far! You put a lot of time and money into it, I hope it lasts for many years and gives you a ton of great times :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I saw this at the Suba Performance shop in Denver a while back. It looked cool and very unique I wish I had the time and money for one myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bnw 2013

A lot of people suggested I take the Murtaya to the Big Northwest Subaru Show, and so I made arrangements to put her in the car show. I'm glad I did.

The day before I got her all shined up:

Before I knew it, I was waiting in line to get in. Wow there were a lot of Subarus there:

In the car show line with some pretty cool cars:

Looking down one of the directions of the show....just a few Subi's:

They even had a limbo contest for the cars...But when I heard "how low you can go", I thought they were going to be seeing how low you could drop your car...I didn't know they were going to literally be doing a limbo with your car...I was kicking myself for not entering. The winner was a BRZ on air bags:

But all was not lost...At the calling out of the awards, I was surprised that I ended up getting the "Best Overall Subaru" award!!! WOW...What an honor!

Even though my engine compartment looked like I had gotten muddin' with it and the fact that my car was the only one there that wasn't really a Subaru...Then again, she has several Subarus inside her, so maybe I was cheating? Either way, it was a wonderful surprise and a GREAT honor. Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks--it was a big surprise for me. I was happy just to be there and meet curious people, so this was a huge bonus.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Car Shows, Sunsets, and Evos....Oh My!

Another great month with this car. As cursed as it was while getting it together, she keeps getting better and better now that she's up and running.

Took her to her third car show, and she got her third award: First place in 2000+ custom cars. This show was my hometown's annual auto show, so it was great to finally have her there. Unfortunately, it was the same weekend as the West Coast Subaru Show, but the hometown gets priority.

At the intersection of the two main streets in the city and right in the middle of the show...they gave her great placement:

They also gave her a pretty cool award:

Often enjoying the company of other rare, cool cars. Making friends with a cool little P1800 coupe:

I also have been out enjoying the sunny weather and spent some time trying to get pics of her. Soon I'll be having somebody with experience and a camera taking them, but until then...

Continuing to meet new people...In this case, I ran into a group of Evo owners...They were very cool. I told them despite the car being primarily Subaru-based, it still has some Evo DNA in it in the form of the front mount intercooler (which is Evo 6 sourced). They were so upset that they were seeing it at night that they surrounded the Murtaya with their cars and turned on their lights so they could see it better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
this is an amazing car, it looks great and ive been yearning for something smaller than a 2011 sti but this is a long shot. im just imagining how it must feel to drive it. got any vids?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
There should be a few places where you can find videos:

The advanced version of MyMurtaya.com has a full page of videos (if you have Silverlight installed):
Otherwise, I just set up a YouTube page and uploaded videos...Hopefully it should be online by now:
The original video pages are on the old Murtaya.com site:
The one called "AMSMurtayaInAction" has some in-car footage (starting about 3:10) of them bombing through narrow back roads in England. It probably gives the best idea of how the car feels, sounds, and looks when driven hard--it's a bit more raw than WRXs and most STis I've driven.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts