IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here we go again. I've really enjoyed the black Murtaya...so much, in fact, that I took over the US Demo Murtaya and am getting it up running around again. This is a record of the second of two Murtayas in the United States.

----------------------------------
Table of Contents:

Post 1 - History of the U.S. Demo Murtaya
Post 2 - Test Drive
Post 3 - Coupe Concepts
Post 4 - Back to Basics
Post 5 - Back to Coupe
Post 6 - Coupe Progress

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
History of the U.S. Demo Murtaya

The U.S. Demo Murtaya is the second Murtaya to be shipped to and assembled in the United States. It was built to be the demo car for Murtaya U.S.A., the U.S. distributor for Adrenaline Motorsports, the original designers and builders of the Murtaya.

The car is a left-hand drive STi-spec Murtaya that was built using a USDM donor. A bright orange paint scheme with "Murtaya R" across the sides both grabbed attention and let people know what people were looking at.

The build used a second-generation Murtaya design, which included things like a lower/thinner floor that allows a lower seating position and a rally-spec roll bar.

When Adrenaline Motorsport ceased trading, however, Murtaya U.S.A. followed suit and the U.S. demo car went into storage.

In the Winter of 2013, I made the decision to buy the car and started making plans to get her up and running. If nothing else, she could be a parts car for this rare vehicle, but I was hoping to have her be a running sister to the black one, which I've been enjoying driving around (17,000+ miles in the first year) and taking to car shows. With all the detail and time I spent on her interior/exterior, just driving her around has been more fun than I ever expected.

The goal with the orange Murtaya, however, would be to focus on not on the appearance, but mainly on the powertrain. A 'beater' Murtaya, in a sense. One that I wouldn't worry about scratching the paint, keeping the interior leather pristine, etc. Instead, she could be the one I take out in the dirty rain, into the snow, to the track, out on the dirt roads, etc. The 'Beast' to the black "Beauty'.

In fact, I'm tempted to stress the 'No F***s Given' interior and exterior by stripping out the existing interior and exposing the raw GRP and possibly even getting a pseudo-corroded paintjob for the exterior. Maybe a modern-day-technology-rumbling-rat-rod?

And the fun began again. Maybe I was just in withdrawals from the first Murtaya's 7-year gestation period? The started remembering the fun times during the first build....Hopefully there won't be as many bad times on this journey...

We'll see...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Test Drive

After a few months (these things always take more time than you expect), we got her picked up and into some capable hands. I visited her in the Fall of 2014 to drive her around and see what needed to be done to get her driving reliably and working well.

As it turns out, when the exterior and interior were ignored, she was almost ready as is. The engine could probably use a tune (then again, I wasn't sure if that was just the higher altitude I was driving her at), but her suspension was solid and she handled very well--better, in fact, than the black Murtaya (as such, I'm now on a mission to get new suspension for the black one).

The steering was a little squeaky but the transmission felt great. Her tires didn't rub on the wheel wells and the center differential didn't bind in tight turns.

The exterior, however, makes it clear that the car has been left alone for years. Scratches, spider cracks, some chunks of missing fiberglass missing, etc. The doors are currently sagging and the windows need to be secured. Almost perfect for a rat-rod...

The interior was in a similar shape. The biggest difference was that while the exterior had just deteriorated over time, a lot of the interior was never really finished in the first place. While some nice leather and double stitching were installed, some buttons were missing, the gauge cluster didn't fit, and panels were misaligned.

But again, these were minor things and not why I got her. In fact, in many ways she was almost ready to go home. A tune, some specific new parts, and she might be ready to go...

·
lurking Subaru whore
823 Posts
Re: Murtaya II

wow, going for another one, and the old demo car at that! :tup:

:clap: I applaud your courage to get not one, but TWO cars of which have very little support.

I'm looking forward what kind of things you'll add and do to the beater! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks. As for the lack of support, I just realized that haven't depended on support for the last five years or so. One thing I've learned about these cars is that all you really need is a skilled Subaru mechanic and good car body/engineer to do whatever you want with them. A few pieces like the headlight covers, boot hinges, and roll bars are custom, but other than that, most of the car can be built/fixed/improved by anybody with the right skills.

In fact, I've actually helped the current Murtaya companies more as they ramp up product in of the new models (by sending them detailed pictures of my car as well as feedback of engineering improvements we've made that they can use going forward in future models).

Luckily, the two US Murtayas are at points where they just need some small details addressed before they're where I want them.

Knocking on wood, of course...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Not sure why I update around Halloween...Maybe it's the orange car?

I think for the purposes of this car, we might go coupe with it. I created a few different design ideas:

I think I'll be going with this design. The B-pillar vents mimic the bonnet vents (which themselves mimic the original Impreza hood vents), has relatively simple rear window design, and has a (small) roof vent to get more air in, which is nice when you've got smaller window openings....

I also created a slow rotation video:

And if you really want to have fun, here's an interactive version available in Unity Web Player (doesn't work on some of the newer browsers, but unfortunately neither did the HTML 5 version...shocking):
http://www.murtaya.com/Mike/MurtayaCoupe/Output.html
And a black version:
Unity Web Player | Murtaya Coupe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Murtaya Coupe

Ok, in the end, as much as I liked the coupe idea, I came to the conclusion that what I wanted from this one was just a low-maintenance rig that I don't have to worry about keeping the finish shiny and clean, driving in the rain, scratching her in parking lots, messing her up on a track, etc. So...barn find/rat rod/beater:

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts

I applaud your courage to get not one, but TWO cars of which have very little support.
that makes two of us. i have a lot of respect for you guys venturing off the beaten track.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went and visited the second Murtaya (in the first). And...we're back to the coupe plan. So we checked out some initial designs for the roof and B-pillars:

The roof vent is to get some more airflow into the car, since the windows don't go all the way down (the windows are bigger than the doors, after all):

It was a good start, but the design still felt a bit too "heavy" for such a small car. So, I did up some quick 3D designs that reuse the side vent design from the bonnet as vents behind the windows; this allows us to not only carve out some "mass" from the roof but also gives us more venting:

And here are the only two Murtayas in the U.S. (to the best of my knowledge) in the same place at the same time:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coupe progress

Current progress (animated into expected final look by me):

Final rendering:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts