IW STi Forum banner

MT 2004 Car of the Year- STi competes

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  amdmaxx 
#1 ·
I just received my Jan-04 edition of MT in mail yesterday and they have the Toyota Prius receiving top honors. 26 cars competed and they all ran performance tests etc.- both the STi and the Evo were among them.

The Evo was quickest to 60mph in 5.0 seconds and the STi did it in 5.1 (I guess the shift to 3rd slowed down the time). However, the STi was noted as the "1/4 mile king" ripping it in 13.35 seconds @102.58mph and the Evo in 13.5 seconds at 101.65mph. The "rally twins" as they called them pretty much cleaned house in performance figures and the BMW Z4 3.0 (5.5/14.11) put up some good skidpad and slalom numbers as well.

Good read..enjoy. :lol:

#3 ·
What 4MLA1FN said.

0-60 times are all over the map depending on who you read. I think the majority of the articles I have read are under 5 seconds though, so I figure that's probably reliable. Also going back to the EVO vs. STi endless debate, some articles have shown the STi as quicker in the 0-60 race, not just the 1/4 mi. I'd have to search to find any of these articles again though.

#6 ·
Actually, going back to the C&D time, look at their quote:

"But there it is: a sprint of 4.6 to 60 mph, 0.4-second faster than the Mitsubishi and a figure that's going to be hard to achieve in any car near the STi's $31,520 base price"

So there's one source that was able to launch the STi to 60 from 0 faster than the EVO.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6640&page_number=2 about 1/2 way down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.