IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to buy a pre-built motor, an came across MotionLab Tuning. Does anyone have experience with this company located in North Carolina?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Regardless of anything else, the fact that the customer didn't try to name the original shop but MLT was quick to try to drop that name...I don't care if these guys were actually in the right or do amazing work, that comes off as incredibly unprofessional. Sadly, too many shops are run by car enthusiasts with zero business sense or professionalism. That doesn't cut it for me. If I'm not taking it to a true pro who also knows what they're doing as a business, I'll fuck it up in the comfort of my own home, thanks

So far I don't think ive heard of a shop in nc with consistently solid reviews, though I'm open to input from ppl with actual experience.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I see you're in Ohio, I just had my car tuned in Cincinnati at Turn In Concepts by Corbin Johnson (Johnson contracts 2 days per week with them on their dyno, but he has his own tuning business.)
They seem to have a really professional shop and go back at least 10 years with Subaru race builds and development on fast Subies. When I was there they had 5 or 6 engine builds in the queue. I'd look into them.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
They do advertise some pretty good builds on Nabisco but this recent story is quite unsavory

SLOW MotionLab Tuning - NASIOC
Maybe that guy should learn how to work on cars if he chooses for this to be his hobby. :) I count 5.5-6 years that he didn't have his car between two shops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a bad experience with a different NC based shop so I decided to check out MotionLab in August of 2012 and I've been a customer there since. I can't speak to their motor builds (yet), but I've had them do various work over the years. They've always done right by me and I still order parts from them. I'm sure every shop has at least one horror story, but I don't have any reason to stop doing business there and still recommend them to friends.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Maybe that guy should learn how to work on cars if he chooses for this to be his hobby. :) I count 5.5-6 years that he didn't have his car between two shops.
Yeah, I was thinking sort of the same thing...if you want a niche car like ANY supra etc you either need to just buy one that is finished or you need to be the guy to take care of it. It's like the GC8 conversions etc, except in that case I haven't found too many finished ones that were that well done either

1 - 11 of 11 Posts