IW STi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some more help picking out an amp for my system.
So far, my system consists of CDT CL-61a(front) and CDT CL-5X(rear)....not installed.
I've narrowed my HU down to Eclipse 5423 or 8443.
No sub yet.
I was originally going to go w/ a 5-channel amp to power everything, as I wanted just 1 amp, but I'm thinking it won't provide enough power, excluding the JL Audio 5-ch, but I don't want to spend $850.
I was thinking I might be able to still use a 5-ch(ie- Alpine MRV-F450) and bridge the 4-ch to 2-ch to power the fronts and still power the sub with the mono channel. Then use the HU to power the rears. Does this sound OK?
The front speakers are rated 90W RMS and the rears 60W. How much power do they actually need to sound good?
The HU's are rated 50Wx4. This should be plenty for the rears, right? Would I need to bridge them, if possible?
Any comments or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the noob questions, but car audio is not my strong suit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
"I was thinking I might be able to still use a 5-ch(ie- Alpine MRV-F450) and bridge the 4-ch to 2-ch to power the fronts and still power the sub with the mono channel. Then use the HU to power the rears. Does this sound OK? "

you can probably do this and it would sound ok depending on how much power your sub needs. rear speakers are more like fill sound you really dont hear them all that much so the head unit power would be plenty for them. I bought a kenwood 4 channel 640watt amp for my infinity kappas, which are by the way very power hungry speakers, and I am running them all off of that amp and they sound great. I am going the two amp route. I am in the process of building my fiberglass box that fits right where the jackstand is stored right now, and my sub is on the way. but in my case I have 1 very powerful 12 coming so I will def need seperate amps. I bought an audiobahn sub and it is 700watts rms. so I def need an amp on its own to power this bad boy. as fasr as bridging of the hu. I have never seen that done before. I think you would be fine just running them normal. I had my HU (alpine 9815) hooked up with no amp for about 2 weeks and the speakers sound good untill you get to about 22 on the volume anything after that there was major distortion. with the amp its clear as high as I can turn the knob.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts