IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was 40 rolling my 04 sti and accidentally money shifted for a slight second. Details are blurry since it happened so fast but I was in 5th shifting to 6th but went to 4th by mistake iirc (or maybe it was 4th to 3rd). Revs went to about 7500 I believe. After that I didn’t notice anything bad as far as engine lights coming on or anything. One thing i noticed was some burning smell for a little from the clutch but it passed pretty soon after. I want to know if this is ok or I should have the engine looked at. Car is a stage2 tune by COBB.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
the wheels that came with the 04 sti, do you have them?

also, you were going 40 and then downshifted into 4th? I think if you drove away and dont hear any loud noises, you should be ok..

money shift damage is usually immediately noticeable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the wheels that came with the 04 sti, do you have them?

also, you were going 40 and then downshifted into 4th? I think if you drove away and dont hear any loud noises, you should be ok..

money shift damage is usually immediately noticeable.
Yea I haven’t noticed anything abnormal. I’m just sort of paranoid.

·
Super Moderator
8,851 Posts
7,500? I wouldn't be all that worried about it if that is the RPM you maxed at. Generally, you'd know if there was an issue right away, however, sometimes valve damage occurs that doesn't shows catastrophic issues until later. However, if 7,500 is accurate, I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like your clutch took a bit of the brunt.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Usually a money shift involves 1st or 2nd gear. Like down shifting from 6th accidentally to 2nd. OR from 5th to 1st. However, while 7500 isnt great but if the engine sounds ok, then i wouldnt worry about it.

·
Administrator
8,171 Posts
I thought this was a spam thread. I've been driving for 24 years, only owned manual cars, and have never heard of "money shifting".

7500k in 3rd gear and going 40 doesn't match up. You should be able to go 25ish in 1st before redline, 45-50ish in 2nd before redline, and easily 70 or so in 3rd. I'm guessing you got all the way into 2nd.

But a 7500 blip is no big deal if done infrequently.

·
Registered
572 Posts
+1 if it still idles/drives fine then i wouldnt worry about it...money shift is coined that way cuz if you do it, it costs alot lol. Some of the money shifts on the drag are amazing as i wonder how they forced it into such a low gear...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts