IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once and for all...

No mod, no matter what, implicitly voids your warantee. This is illegal under Federal Trade Commision regulations.

Per the Magnuson-Moss Waranty (?) Act: (paraphrase) after-market (AM) parts do not void any or part of a warantee. But, if a malfunction occurs and the manufacturer can prove that the AM parts caused the problem to another part then they can refuse warantee service on the broken part. But, the remainder of your waranty is still in tact.

FOR EXAMPLE (for the slower folks)...

If you put on a turbo back exhaust, and your tranny drops, it would be very hard for them to prove a direct cause-effect relationship. So, they would be obligated to perform waranty work.

But, if you had a boost controller, and your turbo burned-up, they could make a good argument that the turbo was not designed to handle that additional stress level, and could refuse you turbo warantee service. But, they would still have to honor a repair to your radiator leaking.

Now, if you have a boost controller, and your tranny fails, this is a gray area. They could argue that the tranny wasn't designed to handle the extra stress. But, we all know moderate extra Boost/HP is not going to kill a good tranny. There is a fine line and it can get gray and you could get into a legal battle, so here is the best advice I have (speaking from experience)...

1) If you mess w/ the electronics, turbo, or main engine parts, you are putting them (dealerships/OEM) in a position to be able to prove a direct relationship to other part failures and not honor certain waranty work-get these AM parts at your own risk.

2) If you get basic bolt-ons (intakes, exhausts, UDPs, etc..) no decent dealership will even attempt to deny you waranty service.

(Addition)
3) Get to know your Service Manager, well, before you start modding. At least sit and chat w/ him a while, maybe over lunch; if he's on your side the dealership won't even blink at your mods when they do all your waranty work. He can also be the deciding factor in major waranty claims.

Everyone clear now?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CloNeGTS said:
Uh....yup.....it's been that way for a long time now. Was there doubt this law existed?
Well, since I've seen the question, "Will this void your waranty?", in 3 different post, w/in the last month, I would have to say, yes, there is some doubt out there.

I thought it was about time it was answered once and for all, as the topic to a post where it is easy to search or post a link to when the question is asked.

And just a side note: Why is it that you always seem to have a smart-a$$ reply to all posts? It must be that your a KU fan/grad; they all tend to be like that.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does this always happen at the beginning of the college football season? Smart ass comments are fun every-now-and-again, but things go down hill quickly when college rivalries start to get involved. Y'all just need to go out drinking sometime! I'm a firm believer that beer can solve all. :)

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
doesnt homer refer to it as alc-a-mo-hole? :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
count me in too

Naw....I didn't mean it in a smart ass way....probably came across that way. I was wondering if someone had brought it up somewhere....looked like you were directly addressing someone/thing.

Actually, I graduated KSU....not KU. You'd get sucker punched for saying something like that to a K State grad! ;)

And actually....I'm a Husker fan through and through. Wearing my jersey right now....Penn State tonight. The return to glory has begun!....or so we'd like to think.

·
Registered
347 Posts
V1 install and location

Username from Iowa State, graduate of Kansas State, living in the heart of KU country, an you're a Nebraska fan? You're a walking Big 12 ad!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Stikya said:
It must be that your a KU fan/grad; they all tend to be like that.
I take offense to that!
It is MU fan/grads that tend to be like that. They also tend to be inbred and have extensive police records. :p

BTW...the Homer alcohol quote is a CLASSIC.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
crazytrain said:
Username from Iowa State, graduate of Kansas State, living in the heart of KU country, an you're a Nebraska fan? You're a walking Big 12 ad!
Damn straight...just can't stand to cheer for Oklahoma or Colorado....grrr. ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
crazytrain said:
LOL throw in at least one Texas team and you WILL have the whole Big 12 :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts