IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting the unichip sometime in Feb., but in the meantime, I was thinking of getting a EBC. After I get the unichip, will the boost controller still be useful, or will the re-map elimate the need for a boost controller? (I thought a re-map was like a AFC and EBC into one simple gadget) Also, after I get the unichip, will it have to be re-tuned at a shop after every new mod, or is it something that I can do myself?

While we are one the subject, got any suggestions for an EBC? Do I really need a Dual cylonoid (spelling?) or is a single OK? I don't think I will every get up to 36 psi or anything like that...

·
Registered
357 Posts
An electronic boost controller can do wonders and is much more accurate than the Unichip in terms of boost control. One question, wny use Unichip? It is pricey compared to the Greddy e-manage that does the same thing plus data logging for $350. IN fact if you get the Greddy E-01 boost controller it will link to the e-manage for on screen data logging and control of your mapping.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only reason I thought the unichip was best was because it was a compete remap, as opposed to the greedy e-manage. I am having trouble deciding what to do next, and an EBC seemed to be a good idea. You think the greddy e-manage is a better deal instead of the unichip? I would appreciate some ideas. I have an intake, but trying to decide what is next. (If I had $1000 I would buy your stage 1, but I don't have that right now, trying to take it slower, maybe $500.) Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
Free Magnaflow exhaust....

What do you mean by complete map? The E-Manage does fuel and timing just fine and boost is best handled with an EBC. If you already have intake I would do boost controller and then a downpipe to complete the stage 1 package. The reason I say get boost controller first is because some folks find the boost a bit high when they change out the downpipe, intake and use the stock boost control. It varies a bit car to car though. ALso this way you have a decent boost gauge in the car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the e-manage is a piggyback, that only intercepts the signals of the ECU and changes them. The unichip replaces the stock ECU. I don't know if this matters at all, but it seems to be a big deal to some people on this site. My concern is that later, down the road, I might upgrade turbos or something. The e-manage only allows the user to change the injector cycle duty by +-20%. I don't know if this will be an issue later.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
The Unichip is a piggy back also.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it makes no difference? I really liked the suggestion by Guru that I get the Greddy E-01 EBC and the Greddy e-manage that allows e-manage on-screen. Seems like that would be a good package together.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Actually not true. THe E-Manage with the harness (which you can use the extra wires on the ignition harness +1) will control injector driver circuits and can accomodate up to 50% change in fuel and actually even more on the MAF map. I'd say total capacity is around 150% change in injector sizing. I run almost 100% bigger injectors than stock and the E-Manage makes the engine purr like stock at idle no problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guru,
Is the emanage plug n play or do you have to cut some wires? If it is not pnp, is there a Fields harness for the STi?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is interesting. It says on the greddy site that the injectors can only change 20%, but if you have it on your car, then I believe you. BTW, I called a local shop about the installation of the E-01 boost controller and they said about $185-$225 to install it. That sounds a little steep to me. Is it on target?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts