IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
AEM intake, GTspec Rear 4 Point Subframe Tie Brace, AMR TMIC, Grimmspeed PNP ex manifold.
intake lost low end torque, rear brace just increased NVH, the TMIC left a huge gap under the scoop, and the ex manifold left gaps in the flanges of the crosspipe and had to double up on the gaskets.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bringing my car to the dealership and replacing my broken ring lands with OEM parts last year.

Why? Because the new OEM short block lasted a YEAR, and the same problem reoccured. I’m now running forged internals, and couldn’t be happier. Should have just upgraded last year.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Whiteline rear subframe inserts on an 11+ hatch.

Makes the car lose all traffic manners (read LOW SPEED BUCKING).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Makes the car lose all traffic manners (read LOW SPEED BUCKING).[/QUOTE

09 sti hatch here. I loved the effect of the whiteline subframe inserts, the rear is much more planted in the corners. I didnt get any bucking from this mod. But combined with my rear diff inserts The NVH went up, and I get a pretty gross decel noise now :tdown:

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Makes the car lose all traffic manners (read LOW SPEED BUCKING).[/QUOTE

09 sti hatch here. I loved the effect of the whiteline subframe inserts, the rear is much more planted in the corners. I didnt get any bucking from this mod. But combined with my rear diff inserts The NVH went up, and I get a pretty gross decel noise now :tdown:
Becauseracecar.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The 11+ STi has much harder bushings stock so the inserts aren't needed and your better to do a full replacement.

So to rephrase; wost mod Ive ever done to my STi is failure to fully research before buying stuff lol.

·
Under Moderated
3,058 Posts
I noticed the same thing, and was able to get rid of ALL additional NVH after removing the rear diff insert washers and re-centering the nut in the OEM bushing. I actually meant to remove the bushing inserts because of the ridiculous amount of added noise, but wasn't easily able to, so I said to hell with it and left them there, minus the washer.

I figured that the majority of the noise MIGHT be due to the diff stud sitting directly on the metal portion of the OEM bushing and I think I was right, because simply removing the washer and re-centering the stud seems to have gotten rid of all of the high-RPM decel noise.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I noticed the same thing, and was able to get rid of ALL additional NVH after removing the rear diff insert washers and re-centering the nut in the OEM bushing. I actually meant to remove the bushing inserts because of the ridiculous amount of added noise, but wasn't easily able to, so I said to hell with it and left them there, minus the washer.

I figured that the majority of the noise MIGHT be due to the diff stud sitting directly on the metal portion of the OEM bushing and I think I was right, because simply removing the washer and re-centering the stud seems to have gotten rid of all of the high-RPM decel noise.
Gathermewool, if this works! I shall name my first born child after you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Snow Performance Meth Injection Kit.

In the begining it was great till it started to act up and then I couldn't enjoy the car. I eventually made the jump to E85. I should have just listened to the forums from the start. BTW anybody want a meth injectio system? LOL

PS E85 is everything it is hyped to be. More torque less boost, and a lot less to worry about.:tup::)

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Maddad UEL header. Could never get a seal at the collector to up pipe.

Coolingmist meth kit. Terrible leaks on "no leak" fittings, flow sensors not working. I went through 3 of them. I believe the meth is what lead to the demise of my stock motor.

Grimmspeed AOS. After a tear down this fall, I found it wasn't doing its job at all on my 30r setup.

Grimmspeed xpipe. Was too short and never sealed right. Might have been from a bad batch. Also grimmspeed up pipe. Cracked at the flex section after 1 year.

Think that covers them off the top of my head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm the only one to blame for these, but with no further ado. Mods regretted:

Grimmspeed Uppipe with EWG. Made my 06 STI ridiculously/annoying loud.

Tanabe Exhaust. Drone on the highway was unbearable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I want to add spherical end links to the list. I hated the popping sounds they would make pulling into the parking lots and up any drive ways.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

·
Under Moderated
3,058 Posts

I apologize if my last post wasn't very clear. I made a quick paint representation of what I did.

Explanation: At the center of the OEM rubber bushing is a metal bushing. The differential stud (bolt) runs through the metal bushing and is what supports the differential, via the bushing and rear subframe. The nut that fastens the differential carrier stud to the bushing seats on the metal portion of the bushing, but there is room for the stud to move around within the bushing; however, the stud will remain centered if the nut is torqued down properly with the stud centered to begin with.

With the Whiteline inserts, the nut is seated against the supplied washer, which sits against the relatively slippery poly bushing. What I noticed is that, with the insert and washer installed, the stud and nut slid down until the stud sat against the bottom of the metal bushing. I didn't think that it would matter AT ALL, nor be the cause for my deceleration noise, because it really shouldn't matter whether the stud is centered and connected via the nut-to-bushing seating surface, or if the stud is sitting directly on the bushing itself, right?

Well, I was so tired of the noise that while I performed my last oil change and check of the rear diff oil I decided to remove the damned inserts. Unfortunately, I didn't have my tools on me, so I wasn't able to get the bushing out. For shits and giggles, I decided to leave off the supplied washer and torque down the differential carrier nut with the carrier stud centered in the bushing. I have no idea why, but the NVH I experienced before seems to have diminished to the point where I don't notice it at all.

I hope that makes sense, and, as always, YMMV.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
not a regret of the part, but when replacing the rear diff fluid, when taking out the rear diff temp sensor to refill, took out the sensor and not the adapter with it... well, when re-installing the sensor, i over torqued the sensor and ouch... expensive sensor

21 - 40 of 166 Posts