IW STi Forum banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Re: 10/02: My SGM STI Journal - ALL PARTS ORDERED...INSTALL SOON

greg, first question....what are you doing with the 525 front mount? number two why did you cut the dash to mount a wideband?

1) A friend of mine offered me alot of the 525 frontmount. Coudlnt pass it up and figured it would be nice to upgrade as i'll eventually be going with a 35r setup once i have time/money to build the motor. its still on the car but i'll be giving my friend the frontmount once the turbo install stats.

2) I drilled 2 holes into the dash because i did not want a clock/apillar pod right now and wanted it to be somewhere i could see it easily. As i plan on buying the JDM dash kit soon and am not happy with the painted dash i currently have, I didnt mind drilling two holes into it to mount the air/fuel gauge.

-Greg

·
Registered
4,624 Posts

its funny that your car started as a sleeper and now its going to have a hks carbon-ti with external wastegate and a 35r......not exactly sleeper......anyways where did you get the side skirts?

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

Good choices...may I ask about the Custom SS lines???? Are you going to be hooking up a Aeromotive FPR with SS lines? I have been wondering how people source those parts out and how the install is.....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #244

its funny that your car started as a sleeper and now its going to have a hks carbon-ti with external wastegate and a 35r......not exactly sleeper......anyways where did you get the side skirts?

My goals were origionally to go big turbo and keep the exterior completely stock - the sti wing. I"ve aleady got wheels/sideskirts/frontlip/specc roof vent and the ewg just adds on top of it. People know what the car is so to have a sleeper is just not necessary any more.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #245

Good choices...may I ask about the Custom SS lines???? Are you going to be hooking up a Aeromotive FPR with SS lines? I have been wondering how people source those parts out and how the install is.....

I'm actually not sure what im doing about an aftermarket FPR yet as i'm waiting ot hear back from my shop. As for sourcing the parts a mech at my shop orders/builds the custom setups so i have no clue. All i know is i have to give him around 300 to cover the cost of the lines/ all the fittings as well as the time put into do it. Thats fine with me =)

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

Your getting a spec-c roof vent??? Its soooooooo sweet you have to get it!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #248

Well, after a Q&A session with BM_STI (THANKS ADAM) and a quick IM to my friend at No Limit Motorsport on Long Island, I changed my setup around a little bit.

Still going for a 30r. But with a nice little twist.

I'll be going with a peekboost uppipe and downpipe as well as a Garret 3076r turbo with a tialsport vbanded .82ar Hotside. Other things that are going to change are the aeromotive fuel rails have been replaced by perrin v1 fuel rails w/ stainless steel lines and the hks carbon ti will be replaced by a cobb catback that i will be cutting the taper out of as well as converting all the flanges to vband.

A buddy of mine will be doing a lot of the custom work which will include:

-Vbanded Header - Uppipe Flanges
-Vbanded Uppipe - Turbo Flanges
-Vbanded Turbo - Downpipe Flanges
-Vbanded Downpipe - Midpipe Flanges
-Vbanded Midpipe - Axelback Flanges

I will be having Metric Subaru (MSPT) doing the rest of the installs once all the cutting/welding is completed. They will also be mking me a custom short ram intake as well as a custom pipe from the intercooler to the turbo, and setting up speed density once cobb finally releases it (hopefully soon)

Other little things i will be pickng up will be the WBR Cold Side I/C Piping (thanks again adam) which will change the flow of the APS FMIC from clockwise to counterclockwise (the way it should have been from APS)

On top of that i'll be picking up a new Tial 44mm EWG and Tial 50mm BOV in black.

That will complete the performance upgrads.

After that i'll be doing the clutch and internals and with that most likely be upgrading to a 35r.

I know i know... I changed my mind again.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #249 (Edited)
11/19: My SGM STI Journal - Full Race Twinscroll Manifold/Uppipe Ordered

So a small little update:

Today I ordered My Full Race Twinscroll Exhaust manifold and Uppipe. I keep changing my mind on what to go with but now its ordered and it should be here in a few weeks. I'll be taking pictures right when i get it and then sending it off to get heat coated once it comes in.

Garret is in the process of making/releasing a twinscroll .82ar T3 housing for a 30r and 35r turbo with a v-banded outlet so i'll be ordering one of those with either a 30 or 35r (with anti-surge housing) once it is released. Still waiting to hear back on price as well.

Aside from That i'l be making a custom 3.5" Turbo Back Exhaust with the help of a friend of mine as well as custom intercooler piping (still deciding on doing a reverse manifold now, or waiting until i build the motor).

Besides that i'm starting to collect parts for the rest of the build.

I'll be ordering all of my SS Piping, V-band flanges/clamps, tbolt clamps, silicon couplers, mufflers, resonators, exhaust tips, aluminum i/c piping, from Vibrant Performance through No Limit Motorsports on Long Island.

I picked up Red Samco Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses with an upgraded ARC Thermostat, as well as A defi EGT Gauge, Defi Oil Pressure Gauge, Defi Gauge Pod, Cusco Motor and Tranny Mounts and some other little things from FIZZ Autosports in queens.

Besides that i Have my helix 860cc Injectors, Aeromotive Fuel Rails With Custom SS Lines sitting in my room.

The only things I still need to order and decide on are:
1) ACT 6Puck Sprung Clutch w/ Streetlite Flywheel -OR- Exedy/Cusco Twin Plate Clutch
2) Reverse Manifold or Counter Clockwise I/C Setup
3) GT30r or GT35r (both will have .82ar Twin Scroll housing and Anti-surge inlet)
4) Color to Powdercoat Everything (Thoughts)

Post up any questions/comments/thoughts you guys may have.

-Greg

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Re: 11/19: My SGM STI Journal - Full Race Twinscroll Manifold/Uppipe Ordered

Holy crap dood! Your setup sounds NUTS!!

Me = jealous of you!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts

greg its funny you changed your setup within 3posts of each other....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #254

LOL yes i change my mind a lot. I wanted a full race kit for a while but couldnt afford it. Decided to just bite the bullet once and not buy a different kit and then end up buying the full race kit in the end.

And I changed my mind in 2 posts. But there was more then 1 month to debate in between the two.

However, if you go back to page one and go through the pages again, you will see that i want from going with a Green to 30r to GT52 to SR65, To GT52, To 30r again...

THERE ARE JUST SO MANY CHOICES!

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Exedy Twin plate will last longer than the 6-puck and it's much more driveable.

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts

Yeah. If money was no issue a twin plate would be my decision. But at almost double the cost it makes me think of other options.

-Greg
it's worth to not have to replace the clutch every 10-12 months. :lol:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #258

it's worth to not have to replace the clutch every 10-12 months. :lol:
Valid Point.

I'm cruching numbers as we speak on adding a twinplate to my current build list.

Also added a set of forged/coated pistons, headstuds, headgasket and some other little things which i'll be popping in when i pull the motor to do the clutch/Turbo Kit

-Greg

241 - 258 of 258 Posts