IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have up to 7-8 g's to blow away, so write up some ideas on perfomance increase, please.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow. $7-8K could do some damage. I'd replace the turbo with that:

Turbo (AVO450) - $2000
FMIC (Perrin) - $1500
Fuel Pump (Walbro) - $100
Fuel Rails (Perrin) - $450
800cc Injectors - $600
Intake (Perrin Short Ram) - $180
Turboback Exhaust (TurboXS) - $1000
Header - $1000
Don't forget Engine Management! - $1000
Lightweight Crank Pulley (Perrin) - $125
StaticX's grounding kit - $50 :D

That gets you to $8005. Some of these parts you should be able to find cheaper. Then, you have to start thinking about handling - coilovers, springs, sway bars, etc. BTW, you're look at my wish list. I don't want to blow $8000 all at once, so I'll be doing mine in bits and pieces. Hope this helps!

Edit: Note - you will also be able to sell many of your STi parts (turbo, intercooler, injectors, muffler). Also, you may want to look into the staged packages from Vishnu, TurboXS, Cobb, Godspeed, and APS.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
just go to xxtuning.com....check em on the web...then go see the shop....they will help you...i have the same budget in mind...only i have to do it in stages....they know the right mods to do and have an awd dyno to show you the results.....they are a good shop i highly reccommend....my first shopping spree...$2000...next one $2000..... let me know how you make out...i know its a drive but it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
elucas730 said:

Turbo (AVO450) - $2000
FMIC (Perrin) - $1500
800cc Injectors - $600
Header - $1000

That gets you to $8005. Some of these parts you should be able to find cheaper. Then, you have to start thinking about handling - coilovers, springs, sway bars, etc. BTW, you're look at my wish list. I don't want to blow $8000 all at once, so I'll be doing mine in bits and pieces. Hope this helps!

Edit: Note - you will also be able to sell many of your STi parts (turbo, intercooler, injectors, muffler). Also, you may want to look into the staged packages from Vishnu, TurboXS, Cobb, Godspeed, and APS.

Yes all the things elucas730 posted are quite stout mods but PLEASE, DO NOT FORGET ABOUT TUNING you guys. If you're going to be dropping $8000 in mods, make sure you know what you are doing and/or getting. If you aren't close to a performance tuning garage much less a dyno...I say save at least a couple hundred of that $8000 to take a road trip to the nearest tuner. Trust me, you may not like the drive but nothing can compare to a tuned car.

-STiLL

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your advice. i was originally saving for something pricy but then decided to go with the sti so have some $ left over :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
elucas730 said:

Turbo (AVO450) - $2000
FMIC (Perrin) - $1500
800cc Injectors - $600
Header - $1000
I like that list but here is waht I would change (if you can wait)...
Turbo - A garrett turbo kit - talk to dan @ www.godspeedinc.com. (as I love garrett as they seem to be the best in spool/quality/power).
FMIC - APS DR650... although Im a perrin nut, APS's DR650 is the biggest, might as well get the biggest otherwise you'll just end up having to upgrade later on.
Fuel pump is good,
Fuel rail doesnt fit STi... that and the injectors are side feed,
Injectors good (PE 800cc... talk to dan again @ www.godspeedinc.com),
Intake good,
Turboback (since you're going to be WAYUP there in the hp go ahead and spend another $200 to get the APS 3.5" turboback for support of ~500-600hp+.
Headers ... GTSPEC ver 2... only $499 shipped and even comes with uppipe, gaskets and everything you need and got some people ~20+whp - awsome headers talk to Dan again from: www.godspeedinc.com.
UTEC ... definitely wait for that as you will need enginemanagement or you will have problems (or go ahead and just buy each thing seperately... APEXi SAFC-2, or XEDE, etc...).
Use the $450 - rails, $500 - saved on headers + $180 from the pulley and buy a new clutch (you will probably need more then that, but... you will need a new clutch to support your power range. Probably good idea to go with a twin plate kit from exedy or the carbon clutch kits from ATC.
But there is no way you can pass up the StaticX kit ;) hehe that'll be what gives you the biggest boost of all. Although I would recommend it as you will be running the mess out of your electrical system, adding engine management, etc... and you will need probably some electrical support.
Also although not said ... get a boost controller as you will need one. Blitz SBC-ID spec3 boost controller would be the best.. Although it is expensive :(... man now that I think about it, once you get in that hp range you should need a lot of stuff... might need to spend more then you want. Dont pass up proper tuning either. Good luck!

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
My stage 2 is $3500
MY new GT35R kit will probably be around $3500. With a few extra goodies you'll be all set for 600Hp.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
heck ya man, when is that coming out!? Also will you be offering a GT30 (or 32 or whatever the step down is)? For those of us who dont want to go TOO huge?

Robert~

·
Registered
348 Posts
Robert -
Do you think a boost controller will be of much use once the car is tuned properly? Do the fuel rails need to be upgraded for the STi, or will the stock ones be ok?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
wheels and tranny

i REALLY think a boost controller is very necessary... the stock bost controller I dont think is setup correctly for the amounts of boost that the car will be running. For a complete accurate display and control I would say get a high quality EBC that will handle the PSI you're going to throw at it... but im not 100% sure... It made a huge difference on my car with the stock turbo, so im sure it would make a good differnce on a car with a huge aftermarket turbo. Even people who have used UTEC have gotten a seperate EBC as they say even UTEC isnt accurate (ABC) as a good EBC.

Robert~

·
Registered
357 Posts
Very true. A good EBC can help maintain a nice steady smoth boost curve and will warn you and pull back boost should you overboost. They are almost required for big HP applications and are MUCH more convenient than manual or stockl selenoid based boost controllers.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i am interested in the headers also, but have a comment and question(s):
easy street uses the stock headers on their crazy fast wrx so i emailed them about that.
they said if i were to go with headers i should definitely get them wrapped/coated as a.m. headers do not hold heat as well as the stock ones.
in their experience they have not been satisfied with the results of new headers in comparison to just the stock ones.

i realize there are millions of ways to do things right, and many more to do them wrong, but i just thought i would put out a different view.

as for ebc? what's the install labor on that?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
The blitz EBC took me 30 minutes to install... and about 20 to get it out, got the correct instructions (way of installing it) from Dan and then was able to put it back in , in under 20 minutes. Very straightforward and "easy" to install EBC. Also about the headers... I dont understand how they werent happy with them? Did the engine bay just get to hot or something? SalisburyV said he got like ~20+whp from em, I could care less about engine temps as you can wrap and thermal coat them. I dont see how THAT much of a gain can be seen as "not satisfactory"... hmmm I guess I gotta do some more research on that though.

Robert~

·
Registered
949 Posts
robert:
i aslo spoke to speedsport teknika via email, they are a reputable aps dealer, and they agree with esx that the stock sti headers are more than sufficient.
was the 20+ hp from heades alone? i know he spent ~$2000 @ xxtuning, so i wonder if some of that hp gain was form other mods.
altho dan @ godspeed has posted that he has personally seen gains from the gtspecs too. :-?
i don't see any negatives on the headers, just varying opinions on the benefits i guess

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
no big deal man, i mean THEY DID tell you that, so Im not condemning you or anything ;). I was just curious. I will find out for my self and see later on how they work out.

Robert~

·
Registered
949 Posts
believe me, i am in our boat too.
just doing research to see what's right for me.
and trying to put out what info i have been hearing from various shops.
i am all for a 20+ hp gain for $500 believe me!
and i am all for my static grounding kit....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but...

Robert, where did you put your SBC-iD? I wasn't sure how big it was. Is there any way to jam it in underneath the stereo, in the little compartment there?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
im sure you can... i put my LCD(the blitz screen) on that silver face plate (says subaru on it) where your single DIN stereo would go... I put the brain behind the console (theres a good sized hole that you can run wires across and such so it was a good place to hide it and have access to it if i have any problems. Grounded to the bolt on the passenger side (near where you right foot would be if u were sitting there) and power wire to a fuse in the small fuse box (driver's side) .. dont remember which fuse, but it was one that wasnt being used (fogs or something). I put the actual solenoid in the engine bay and connected it to the either powersteering lines (or brake lines or whatnot) that are right by the strut bar top on the passenger side... one good bolt and it holds it very tight. Ran vacuum hose from manifold to the brain and wiring from solenoid to the brain through the black grommet... very handy... cut a small slit and slide it all through :). Hope this helps!

Robert~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts