IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously owned and modded a bugeye wrx up to a cobb stage II and really enjoyed the experience. I now can afford to drive an STi, and I love my 2006 and am starting to get the modding bug again. However, our cars are incredibly fast out of the box, and unless people are seriously competing in their STi's (which except for a few autocrosses and 1 or 2 track days I don't plan on doing) they have plenty of power for day to day use. I'm curious if people who have modded their STi's (and only really use them on public roads) have any regrets in hindsight.

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,688 Posts
i read this forum daily for a long time before i bought anything for my car. anytime im thinking about anything new to add to my car, i read up on www.iwsti.com. because of that, i don't regret anything.

research is key.

·
Super Moderator
8,017 Posts
same here, but I did splurge and get the RCE springs over the prodrives so I hope that doesn't become my first regret.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
jasv11 said:
My only regret so far is I should have bought hollow sways instead of solid ones. Also I should not have spent extra money on rear door speakers cause I still can't hear them. Everything else is good so far.
What is it about the hollow sways that you prefer?

The only thing I would change about my car is maybe make the ride a little softer over big bumps. Otherwise I'm happy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My regret is that I spent $10,000 modding my car with the mods listed below in my sig, and that doesn't add much of anything to the value of the car. Sometimes, I think I would have been better off with the $10K in my pocket and a stock car. However, I must admit it makes the car a lot more exciting to drive, so you have to go in knowing that you can't get that mod money (or is it mad money) back.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I didnt have plans to do much for mods. I knew I was going to lower it and add a lip and rims, but that was about it. Now that I am into it a little more, I could go for some more POWAH so I am just starting with the Engine and a Cobb AP2. I do not track my car and it is a daily driver.

Only one regret. I wish I had known more about tire size and the effect on acceleration. I would have gone with a little bit shorter tire as the car doesnt pull as hard with the 235/40 18s I have on it now as opposed to stock. I am not too worried about it as the AP will fix that and when I get to Stage 2, I am sure I wont notice it at all.

My thoughts are that the mods keep the car fresh and new. When you get bored, add something else to liven it up. It seems to be working for me. Also as others had said, research research research and you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Here's a regret:

Bought a Cobb AP with the intent of going Stage 1. Installed Cobb AP and uploaded CA Stage 1 map. Got detonation. Uploaded CA Stage 1 91 octane map. Got detonation. Reverted to stock, sent Cobb AP back to Cobb and got a refund/trade for some F/R sways. Well, the stock map the AP put back on my car is now - you guessed it - causing detonation.

So I went from running great stock to running poorly at Stage 1 to running poorly stock.

Now I'm forced to buy ANOTHER AP, go Stage 1, and pay a few hundred dollars for a protune just so I don't detonate every time I get on it. That, or make frequent trips to Sears Point top my gas tank with race gas. Sucks. :(

·
Registered
625 Posts
I waited a full year until I started modding. No problems yet *knocks wood*

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
HarlanPepper said:
Here's a regret:

Bought a Cobb AP with the intent of going Stage 1. Installed Cobb AP and uploaded CA Stage 1 map. Got detonation. Uploaded CA Stage 1 91 octane map. Got detonation. Reverted to stock, sent Cobb AP back to Cobb and got a refund/trade for some F/R sways. Well, the stock map the AP put back on my car is now - you guessed it - causing detonation.

So I went from running great stock to running poorly at Stage 1 to running poorly stock.

Now I'm forced to buy ANOTHER AP, go Stage 1, and pay a few hundred dollars for a protune just so I don't detonate every time I get on it. That, or make frequent trips to Sears Point top my gas tank with race gas. Sucks. :(
Wow... that sucks. Call some of your local tuners to see if they'll tune your car with Enginuity. It's free.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
jasv11 said:
Lighter:tup:
That's not even a consideration for me. At the point I decide to start autocrossing on race tires I'll have no choice but to replace my hollow Cobb bars with solid Whiteline bars. There aren't any hollow bars that offer the roll resistance I'll need.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Mykl said:
That's not even a consideration for me. At the point I decide to start autocrossing on race tires I'll have no choice but to replace my hollow Cobb bars with solid Whiteline bars. There aren't any hollow bars that offer the roll resistance I'll need.
I was told that a similar diameter sway that is hollow is also more stiff than one that is not hollow. I am not an engineer so I have no way of proving this. Was told to me by someone who I think should know his stuff:notsure:

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Mykl said:
Have you seen the new Subie sport by any chance.....They say the exact opposite.

"A hollow bar will act the same as a larger diameter solid bar". I could'nt believe when I heard this..but it got me thinking..

I think they mean you could bend a solid sway bar (like breaking something over your knee) More than a hollow bar. Thing is, that type of force only happens on the outer ends of the sway bar....the rest is a twisting motion from the middle of of the bar.....

What do you think....?

·
Registered
54 Posts
HarlanPepper said:
Here's a regret:

Didn't many of 04s have detonation stock? I remember reading on this board that subaru was offering reflash for 04s for the detonation.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
jasv11 said:
I was told that a similar diameter sway that is hollow is also more stiff than one that is not hollow. I am not an engineer so I have no way of proving this. Was told to me by someone who I think should know his stuff:notsure:
:confused:

flatthump said:
Have you seen the new Subie sport by any chance.....They say the exact opposite.

"A hollow bar will act the same as a larger diameter solid bar". I could'nt believe when I heard this..but it got me thinking..

I think they mean you could bend a solid sway bar (like breaking something over your knee) More than a hollow bar. Thing is, that type of force only happens on the outer ends of the sway bar....the rest is a twisting motion from the middle of of the bar.....

What do you think....?
This is news to me!

To be honest, it doesn't make sense... it contradicts everything I've ever read on the subject. All I've ever been told is that hollow swaybars aren't as strong as a similarly sized solid bar.

Of course this is a generalization and actual hollow bar strength depends on many variables that manufacturers generally don't just give away.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Mykl said:
All I've ever been told is that hollow swaybars aren't as strong as a similarly sized solid bar.
Ive heard the same......but stronger with what type of force?......You see what Im getting at now.

There are two totally different directions of energy that piece of metal see's. I have over looked this. But then again.......a bar will only act as stiff as its 'twisting' rigidy allows right?

Ive always thought of sways as ONLY giving roll resistance through its twisting motions. But now im thinking otherwise...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts