IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine went in today to the Mitsubishi of Irvine's dealerhip to buy his evo. However, the dealership had a markup of over 9k!!! :eek: Of course, he didn't get buy it. Actually, that dealership hasn't sold a single evo yet.

Whooaa, I hope Subaru doesn't follow Mitsubishi's trend.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey there. Just remember that the ones doing that are the dealerships, not the Mfgr's. 8)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Gee I wonder why the dealership isn't selling any EVO's...

It's times like these that I hope there's not one sucker/timid person that just takes it on the chin from these types of scum.

I hope they never sell any EVO's

·
Registered
334 Posts
My local Mitsubishi dealer is asking $35k for the Evo, explaining that I should feel lucky since he "has offers" from bigger city dealers of $38k for his cars. Meanwhile I read many posts on evolutionm about people choosing the Evo over the STi because of the price difference (the STi being more expensive). Given that the STi seems to be able to be preordered for MSRP most places, this seems a little backwards. Heck, I feel bad enough paying MSRP.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Yeah, I've heard as high at a $10K markup!!! :eek:

I talked with one sales manager on the East Coast and he said he doesn't have to justify marking up the car to customers...he knows he can sell the car.

Its up to us consumers to say no. Even if I was rich I would tell that sales manager to #*$*%**%*%*% and go to another dealer!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a question/comment on this - how much control does the manufacturer have over markup? I always thought it was none, yet...

...It seems that Subaru dealers are overall better with this - and thanks to people like JJ, who set up sites like this one... we can keep dealers more "honest" and get the word out on the less reputable ones.

I remember a site I used to visit about the original WRX, where the guy had published names and contacts at dealers all around the country, and asked for feedback if any of these dealers tried to pull anything. Then they were subject to public humiliation, which I've found to be a great deterrent for this type of thing.

Word gets around quickly...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Manufacturers are like drug dealers. Yup, they bought the stuff for such and such a price, but no one tells em what they should sell the stuff for. If they can get a 400% markup, they do.

In the case of the drug dealer, you'd better not let the big guy know that's your markup....there might be trouble! :wink:

Street econ 101! haha

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My friend and I went into the Mitsu dealership again today just to see how things were going and when they planned to cut the 10k "dealer installed option. " :wink:

Sales Manager stated that only a few (roughly three) have been sold in california. Hmm.. i wonder if the markup is appealing to the public...? :lol:

·
Registered
963 Posts
That's good to hear, Marine. Hopefully not too many people will go for the markup and Mitsu dealers will get the message. Not really the best economic conditions to be pulling that kind of stuff either...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about cause a friend of mine recently go his Evolution for just 29k. Here in Florida it's that price I guess.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Most of the dealers in the DC Metro area are selling at MSRP. There as some that still have a few $k markup on EVOs, but that could be quickly negotiated to what the price should be (as in my case)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Marine06 said:
I've checked recently and there is still a $3500 markup on evos in the SoCal area.
Thats really sad. I had a dealer in chicagoland willing to sell me a Tarmac Black Evo with the carbon spoiler for 1k under sticker if i paid with a cashiers check. I did that after i drove my friends evo and found out that my dealer won't get my STI until July. In the end i decided to wait it out a bit longer. If i do get anything else i'm going all out and getting a skyline. Peace!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went to the mitsubishi dealership in santa monica yesterday and they were asking $45k

totally insane

also got a test drive >:D
they were totally bent on selling me the car, and I had no intention of buying a car that day and kept telling them that. by the end, they had pretty much come all the way down to msrp in price, zero down, and zero% financing... so if you want one, I guess that's how you have to play it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
?????0% financing??????

That CANT be true...? Mitsu's not GIVING them away already, are they...?

I'm gonna check on that one.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts