IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how bad is it for your sti when you miss a gear or redline your race? what exactly does it do to the engine or tranny? thanks brian

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question (proper grammar FTW!!!). Anyhow, redlining the engine is 100% okay. That is why there is a redline mark on your tach and a rev limiter to protect the engine. Don't believe me?? Do what I did. I was messing around and hit redline in 2nd and I still wanted to push it. I tried to go past redline and it went a little bit beyond but stopped. It was strange actually. The engine feels like it dies.

Now missing a gear when shifting hard and fast...depends on the situation but if you grind it that isn't very good for the tranny but it won't kill it either. Now missing a gear when downshifting can cause some damage especially since the rev limiter can't help in that situation.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
BlueGold said:
I'm not sure I understand your question (proper grammar FTW!!!). Anyhow, redlinging the engine is 100% okay.
Let's watch about busting someone else's chops over grammar/spelling especially when we're not perfect, OK?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I wouldnt redline everyday every shift. It will put more strain on your engine Then of course not doing it. the harder you push anything the faster its going to break. and for skipping gears Depends on how you skip a gear. I skip 3rd all the time thinking it will save gas. but who knows.

·
Registered
667 Posts
klaymon said:
Let's watch about busting someone else's chops over grammar/spelling especially when we're not perfect, OK?
LOL...I wasn't trying to bust anyone's chops. I honestly had trouble understanding his question.

·
Registered
2019 WRX
4,512 Posts
Doing it once is not going to kill your car. Doing it repeated times for a while, will cause damage though.
:D

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Hitting redline while in gear(with clutch engaged), I would imagine, is quite hard on the drivetrane.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot!! i just wanted to see what everyone else opinion was on it. I dont take my car to redline everytime lol. Its my baby i feel like i hurt her when i do it but its a car i mean money can fix anything on them almost but thanks again

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Eh, don't worry about it. I've seen About 8500 on mine the odd times when I've missed a shift. No problems no oil consumption issues, seems to be fine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
flatthump said:
Hitting redline while in gear(with clutch engaged), I would imagine, is quite hard on the drivetrane.
Hmmm, maybe Im not interpreting your statement correctly, but redlining the car while in gear with the clutch engaged should not be too hard on the car unless you do it all the time of course. In all honesty it would probably be worse for the engine if you liked to free rev the car to 7k often, like when the car is in neutral or in gear with the clutch disengaged. Any vehicle will wear faster when redlined frequently, it's the valvetrain and the belts/pulley's that worry me, not the bottom end. 7k really isn't a very high redline and honestly there isn't much reason to shift that late on the stock turbo anyways. My philosophy is drive it hard, drive it responsibly, and maintain the ever loving crap out of it.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Anyone else notice that sometimes when you shift without fully coming off the gas that the tach needle will sweep past 7k (almost 7300-7400), even though the rev limiter should kick in? I've seen it in countless videos and even done it a couple times myself. It's usually in 2nd/3rd that I've noticed this. I can never get it to happen in 1st gear, mind you, I don't go out of my way to try it. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've heard many accounts of GM F-body drivers accidently shifting 3rd to 2nd under hard excelleration (when they intended to shift 3rd to 4th). The rev limiter can't prevent catastrophic RPM in this case. The GM LS1 bends pushrods when over rev'ed in this manner. What fails in the 2.5?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
SSteve00 said:
I've heard many accounts of GM F-body drivers accidently shifting 3rd to 2nd under hard excelleration (when they intended to shift 3rd to 4th). The rev limiter can't prevent catastrophic RPM in this case. The GM LS1 bends pushrods when over rev'ed in this manner. What fails in the 2.5?
drivers neck?? because of the whip-lash lol...

·
Drive True
6,829 Posts
sti18 said:
Thanks alot!! i just wanted to see what everyone else opinion was on it. I dont take my car to redline everytime lol. Its my baby i feel like i hurt her when i do it but its a car i mean money can fix anything on them almost but thanks again
Wow. I fear for your STi's future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts