IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Cobb tuner and a Cobb three port boost valve, I have a k&n typhoon intake, 3inch catless up pipe and stock cats until the exhaust which is a three inch bpm axel back Exhaust the tune ran fine for about a couple days but would read error cannot read ecu when staying on boost for too long it would also over boost like it was almost bypassing the tune, I have tire hooking the battery charger up while I switch tunes as well and then my real problem started when it started to misfire, I changed the coils thinking it was that and a common Subaru failure but it did not solve it but it did help, I am currently waiting on a stock solenoid and to uninstall the tune. Can anybody give me some reassurance that it may just be the tune causing a miss fire. Thank you guys desperate and new to the page 馃榿

Premium Member
You have a number of issues and we have far to little information to be of any real help. Thing that might help:
Year, miles, when mods were installed and whether the car ever ran well with them. General shape - hacked by 8 owners or babied by one . . .
I can recommend not to spend significant money on parts that won't fix the issue. It's money better spend at a decent shop.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
You have a number of issues and we have far to little information to be of any real help. Thing that might help:
Year, miles, when mods were installed and whether the car ever ran well with them. General shape - hacked by 8 owners or babied by one . . .
I can recommend not to spend significant money on parts that won't fix the issue. It's money better spend at a decent shop.
it is an 02 bug eye 150xxx miles on the body and a little over 100xxx miles on the engine, I have owned this car for a year now regular oil changes and fluids The engine is in very good condition or was and ran very well with the moderate mods up until I put the boost solenoid and tuner in the car. The mods were put on at 90xxx miles of the engine

Premium Member
Run only the parts recommended for a particular tune.
The car had an O2 sensor in the up-pipe? your new up-pipe had a bung for it?

Misfire: I doubt the tune itself is causing a misfire.
* Has this car ever had it's timing belt replaced? Do you have absolute knowledge of this?

Overboost: How much overboost?
A little? then Cobb offeres high, std, and low boost maps. Try the low boost map
More? .I'd be wanting to verify that the EBC is plumbed properly. If this problem started when it was installed them this is surely the problem.

In any case I wouldn't let the car get into boost till these issues are address. and if timing belt, best not to drive at all till it is fixed.

Registered
This is pretty hard to read and understand what exactly is going on here. I think you have multiple issues going on here at the same time. I believe you have an over boost issue, ecu issue, and a misfire issue. All 3 need to be addressed separately. I do not believe whatever tune you are running on the car would be causing a misfire. I would first recommend making sure that that accessport you are using is compatible with the your car. Meaning that all the accessport functions are accessible to you at all times. If you are having problems communicating then your issue is with either the accessport or ECU.

After you get that squared away, i would recommend chasing after the misfire. Considering you overboosted and now have a misfire, i would recommend performing a compression and leak down test to verify engine health. If the engine is verifed to be in good health then i would go about swapping plugs, coils, injectors around untill you can verify what is the cause.

After you have delt with the misfire and corrected it, then i would suggest you chase after your overboost issue. Smoke test the engine and make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. Make sure all the lines going to and from the turbo and ECBS are connected and not leaking. Make sure the wastegate is operating correctly. I would also highly recommend having the car pro-tuned to run an ECBS.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6

* Has this car ever had it's timing belt replaced? Do you have absolute knowledge of this?

A little? then Cobb offeres high, std, and low boost maps. Try the low boost map
More? .I'd be wanting to verify that the EBC is plumbed properly. If this problem started when it was installed them this is surely the problem.

In any case I wouldn't let the car get into boost till these issues are address. and if timing belt, best not to drive at all till it is fixed.
Thank you the timing belt has been changed when the engine was put in the car, the misfire is weird though it only happens sometimes and sometimes it鈥檚 worse than other times, for example I noticed if I get on it in first and second it may misfire throughout third and fourth and fifth noticeably but if I drive it normally after sitting over night the car will misfire but it is significantly less, the over boost I am almost positive is due to the Cobb boost solenoid, and the tuner is a ap-001 v2 cobb so hopefully it is the tuner due to the fact that it isn鈥檛 exact parts to the tune and it ran fine before hand, but I am concerned about the over boosting it was not for a long time but it has occurred on multiple occasions, usually it will hit 20 psi and I catch it and let off. But I have never had this problem before the tuner and I have changed the coil packs and the misfire now isn鈥檛 bad enough that it reads on the scanner but before it was. I was stupid and in a rush and didn鈥檛 check the plugs and obviously replace them

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you the timing belt has been changed when the engine was put in the car, the misfire is weird though it only happens sometimes and sometimes it鈥檚 worse than other times, for example I noticed if I get on it in first and second it may misfire throughout third and fourth and fifth noticeably but if I drive it normally after sitting over night the car will misfire but it is significantly less, the over boost I am almost positive is due to the Cobb boost solenoid, and the tuner is a ap-001 v2 cobb so hopefully it is the tuner due to the fact that it isn鈥檛 exact parts to the tune and it ran fine before hand, but I am concerned about the over boosting it was not for a long time but it has occurred on multiple occasions, usually it will hit 20 psi and I catch it and let off. But I have never had this problem before the tuner and I have changed the coil packs and the misfire now isn鈥檛 bad enough that it reads on the scanner but before it was. I was stupid and in a rush and didn鈥檛 check the plugs and obviously replace them
It is also reading a code for the front o2 sensor but would that really make it misfire on both cylinders 3and 4 that鈥檚 what it read before I put the coil packs in thank you for your help btw

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

Timing belt was replaced when engine was put in and Yes there was but it is also reading a code for an 02 sensor in the front of the car

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I uninstalled the tune and the misfire continued a little worse than before then I tried to hook the tune back up and it failed is this signs of ecm failure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts