IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I've had a chance to actually boost a little now that I have good gas, I'm getting closer and closer to the infamous 1k mile mark. I have a few opinion type questions for ya'll:

1) How many of you opted for the 1k oil change? I'm considering doing this against the Subaru god's desire considering the metal shaving issue.

2) How did you treat your car the last 500 miles of break-in? Did you opt to baby it all the way through break-in or give it a little more the latter half in order to seat things well? Whichever you opted for please explain why.

3) I gotta make a 170 or so mile trip this weekend. It's fairly short and laborious, but I want to continue breaking it in properly. When they say no constant speed can someone explain what they mean by this (besides the obvious)?

4) Are you gas brand centric? If so, why? What brands do you prefer?

I know these are all random, but they are curiousities I've had in the past couple of weeks.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
1) I did the 1k change and then again at about 3k. Will switch to synthetic at the next 6k change.
2)I still took it easy but slowly accelerated to about 5500 rpms a couple times. No reason really just figured it would be good for it.
3)It is the obvious, no constant speed or rpm. Vary it.
4)I stick with Mobil or Amaco, Shell if in a pinch. Unless the place has the one nozzel that all 3 grades pump through, I avoid those so I don't get screwed with some of the gas the last person put in that is still in the hose. I stuck with name brand ever since the local news did a story on local mom and pop shops having the same grade gas in all 3 pumps.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
On question 3, my dealer told me not to hold it at a constant speed for a long time period (example he gave: 30 minutes).

Only at 200 miles, I can't help you with the other ones except that my dealer said the 1k oil change can't hurt. He races for SOA/Huffines/Cobb so I pay attention to his recomendations.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MKIVSupra and gforced.

gforced- were there any other specific recommendations he gave you?

·
Registered
452 Posts
What is the logic behind the 1k oil change (as opposed to the maintenance manual schedule)? Metalic residue in the oil after the break-in?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
He just told me to wait until I get past the 1k mark before I buy any mods. He said the car is fast as is, but he understands the need for more. His Cobb tuned car is pushing 400 WHP. As far as the break-in, he said to do my best to keep it under 4k RPM. Which he knows is going to be hard. I have not asked him about synthetic because I have a little while before I get to that point.

rjhanq - The general idea is that during break-in the engine creates a small amount of metal shavings and that before getting into the power and driving the car harder it is a goood idea to put clean oil in the engine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok good deal. I don't plan on modding for a while anyway. Anyone have any comment on the engine heat during break-in. I've heard weird theories that you have to push it a little to seal better and keep the engine heat down. Weird logic?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
If you are not sure about something just follow the owner's manual. I am sure the people who designed and built the engine have good reasons for saying to take it easy for the first 1k miles. Also what I have been told and my reasoning for the first 1k oil change is because of possible metal particles from the initial wear of the engine. My first oil change was free so wth. I have even been told to do it with all the fluids. I will probably change the trans and diff fluids sooner than recommended but I don't think you have to do those at 1k.

·
Registered
478 Posts
rjhang said:
What is the logic behind the 1k oil change (as opposed to the maintenance manual schedule)? Metalic residue in the oil after the break-in?
Yeah, your engine will shed the most metal during the first few hundred miles. If you want to start pushing it after that first thousand, fresh oil without metal is probably a little better for your engine :wink: .

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hey Guys , i must admit i didnt exactly follow all the rules regarding breakin. the first 500 i did. varying my speed and rpm's. Had my oil changed at 902 miles. i'm now at 2300 miles and the gloves are off! my mechanic begged me to give it another 3000 miles to let the piston rings and valve seals seat properly. in my opinion if the hadnt set by 1500 miles there is something wrong. they seem to be on the horrors that i'm going to blow it up.....i'm not stupid but i set my buzzzer and light for 6200 rpm. works for me and my baby purrs like a kitten. at 130 mph i'm up at 4500 rpm and it sounds great. once a week i put cam 2 in, holy [email protected]#$&^! what a difference a little octane can make, otherwise i only use sunoco ultra....at the station where it has it's own hose,know what i mean? hope this helped. M

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
BREAK-IN

I decided to do the opposite of the break in period and really ran the engine like I wanted to from day one (I actually got sideways leaving the dealer parking lot). I have 3k+ miles now, changed the oil at about 1k and have no issues so far. I plan to change again at 4K.
As for gas, I run Sunoco 94, and stick with that unless there is no other alternative. I believe that consistency is important as it will keep the ECU from doing too much learning all the time.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I will be changing the oil here as soon as the filters get here from SubieGal.

I was very nice to her for the first 500 miles, and then slowly edged the RPMs up as I neared 1000.....but never above 6k before 1000 miles.

When I drove mine home from the dealer, I obeyed the constant speed issue the whole way home...didn't use the cruise at all. During the last 200 miles or so, I did use the cruise for a road trip. If there is anything the engine hasn't done in the first 800 miles......well....do the math. I don't quite understand that break in rule anyway.

I am an Amoco/BP person all the way. I drive an extra 5 miles from my home to get their gas. I had signs of detonation on regular 91 gas from other stations during the first 300 miles. Since then, it has been only BP 92 octane and no ping. That's enough proof for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. I went to Mobil 1 at 460 miles. I like to switch around 500 miles for the first oil chage.

2. I slowly ramped up my driving through the break in process. I probably hit 6k 3 or 4 times before 1000 miles.

3. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You are almost there. Exercise the right foot a little and you will be fine.

4. I like BP's 92{11 gallons} mixed with Citgo's 100{5 gallons}. BP and Citgo are 2 blocks from each other on my way to/from work. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya, I understand some of the concept behind break-in but I'm not expert either. I've always followed the advice of the manufacturer for no other reason than they must know something I don't. But then you find an experienced mechanic or tuner every once in a while that says you need to be a little hard on it or things will not seat as well. Generally though the first miles of any new car I've owned have been 200-300 highway miles and I've never had a problem.

My plan right now is around 1k if not a little earlier, go to Pennzoil 5w-30 regular oil until 3k or 6k then I'll move to synthetic. Unfortunately I don't have access to anything over 93 octane, so that is going to be tough. I am interested to know what Cam 2 is though. What was the consensus on the oil filter issue, I know there was some debate of 60 vs. 80 series. Anyone use an aftermarket filter such a Purolator Pure One?

Thanks for all the info!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts