IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we just had a real cold spell where i live and the other day it was minus 15 degrees. i started my car and let it warm up for 20 minutes. to melt all the ice on the windows and get the heat going. anyway, about halfway home from work i noticed the oil warning light was on. so i get home call my dealer and make an appointment to get it checked out. that was the other day. today its not nearly as cold and when i started up my car the oil warning light came on then went out like its supposed to. has anyone else experienced this when its really cold, below minus 10.

·
Registered
759 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Definitely check the oil level. I know my car tends to burn it (in 2000 odd miles I have probably put in almost a full quart).
My experience was the same. I am at 7500 miles now and the oil level has not moved much for the last 2-3k miles.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
What

Hummer said:
My experience was the same. I am at 7500 miles now and the oil level has not moved much for the last 2-3k miles.
Awesome. Maybe as my engine gets more miles on it I will find the same.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
i burned about 1.5qts of oil until the last oil(syn)+filter change at aprox 5000mi. i'm now due for another change (9100mi) and oil level is about 1/8" below full/max.

ted

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
crashsti said:
we just had a real cold spell where i live and the other day it was minus 15 degrees. i started my car and let it warm up for 20 minutes. to melt all the ice on the windows and get the heat going. anyway, about halfway home from work i noticed the oil warning light was on. so i get home call my dealer and make an appointment to get it checked out. that was the other day. today its not nearly as cold and when i started up my car the oil warning light came on then went out like its supposed to. has anyone else experienced this when its really cold, below minus 10.
Minus 15 and you let the car warm up for 20 mins? That is NOT a good idea in my opinion. You want to get that oil pressure up and flowing as quickly as possible, i.e. drive the car.

-st

·
Registered
350 Posts
Coldest it has been around here was 1 degree, and that morning I warmed up my car for about 5 minutes and took off. No oil lights or anything... I think 20 minutes is too much.

-d

·
Registered
986 Posts
Singletrack said:
crashsti said:
Minus 15 and you let the car warm up for 20 mins? That is NOT a good idea in my opinion. You want to get that oil pressure up and flowing as quickly as possible, i.e. drive the car.

-st
Do you have a oil pressure gauge? If you do you will see that when you start your cold car the oil pressure is quite high. I gets even higher as you drive the car. But even at idle the oil presure is plenty high to send oil everywhere.

Back on the original problem/question by crashsti.

What type of oil do you have in the crankcase? Did you ever thought of putting a block heater or even a blanket for those super cold days? My guess was that some passages were frozen and possibly blocked with cold oil. This is why the next day the light was operating normal. On the other hand you do not want to starve the engine off lubricant. Although if you have a good quality synthetic you should be in good shape. Hopefully in a couple days the temps would come back up to normal.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE- i should have mentioned that as soon as i pulled in my driveway i checked my oil and it was FULL. i checked it again an hour later and it was the same deal, FULL, but a little on the dark side. anyway i did take it to the dealer on wednesday. they also found the oil level at FULL and that it was a little on the dirty side. they did an oil change and things seem to be good. the engine runs more like it should and no oil light has come on. the tech came to the same conclusion that i did. that the extreme cold was to blame. even oil turns to molasses when it gets that cold.
regarding my warming the car up for 20 minutes. at -15 degrees everything slows down. i've done the warm the car up for 5 minutes and then take off thing. by the time i get home 5 minutes later the car still has'nt gotten up to temp. i believe that starting a car and then only running it for less than 10 minutes and then shutting it off again is far worse than letting it idle for 20 minutes, especially in extreme cold like we've been having here. i find when i let it idle for the 20 minutes and then drive my two minute commute home the car starts much better the next time i have to go to work. i might be wrong but i believe if you were to sit in your driveway and start your car and then shut it off again in 5 minutes over and over agian you would eventually drain you battery to a point where starting in the cold would be nearly impossible in -15 degree weather. by the way i'm under the impression that the temp gauge in my car is off anyway. when my car is reading -15 all the other guys cars are reading colder, like -18 and colder. they give my crap saying that my car must be reading the temp someplace in Japan.
i appreciate all the input. i just hope this cold spell snaps sometime soon.

·
Registered
350 Posts
crashsti said:
by the time i get home 5 minutes later the car still has'nt gotten up to temp. i believe that starting a car and then only running it for less than 10 minutes and then shutting it off again is far worse than letting it idle for 20 minutes, especially in extreme cold like we've been having here.
I have a fix for your problem... take the longest way to work and back :) that way you don't have to shut it down only after 5 minutes :D

-d

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crashsti wrote:
by the time i get home 5 minutes later the car still has'nt gotten up to temp. i believe that starting a car and then only running it for less than 10 minutes and then shutting it off again is far worse than letting it idle for 20 minutes, especially in extreme cold like we've been having here. I have a fix for your problem... take the longest way to work and back that way you don't have to shut it down only after 5 minutes
i was actually planning on doing that the morning my incident occured. i was ready to pass my house and head up into the hills when i saw the oil light on. my OH SH*T light came on and i went straight home to take care of it. its 15 degrees here today!!!!! last night though it was -15 again. no problems though, fresh oil seeemed to have helped the situation and i did take the long way home.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just be glad you are not here....
From CNN - "New Hampshire's Mount Washington Observatory, which boasts of having "the world's worst weather," recorded temperatures as low as 45 degrees below zero early Friday, coming close to the state's all-time low temperature of minus 47.

On Thursday evening, the observatory reported a wind chill of 97 below zero, with a combination of wind speeds gusting at 92 mph and an outside air temperature of minus 39. By 9 a.m. Friday, the observatory's wind chill temperatures had warmed to 73 below with 84 mph winds"

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/01/16/cold.snap/index.html

-d

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'm not all that far from there. i live on the vermont, massachusetts, newhampshire border. MT. Washington also has the highest recorded wind speed. nice place to go in the summer. it'll be 90 degrees at the bottom of the mountain and 50 at the top. and yes i am glad that i am not there!!!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
there should be no ill effects by letting your car warm up. On my chevy i have a remote start for five years....i start the car twice, remotely, before i even think about goin out in this refrigerator we live in in N.E.. I've never heard of ANY damage from letting car sit and warm up....my company sells remote starts by the truckload and i asked both my mechanic and my installer and they both said you might have had a bad SENSOR...my three cents

·
Registered
388 Posts
hey everyone,

i live in northern vt, and we have had temps in the 18-25 below with windchills making it a lot colder. i didnt have the oil light problem, but i did get a loud noise from the tranny area when i let the clutch out right after i started it. when i pushed the clutch back in the noise went away. after a minute i let the clutch out again and the noise wasnt there. anyone else have this happen? i think it was like 29 below with windchill.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
sometimes i hear a big thump when i let the e-brake down....i'm assuming this is the noise the caliper pistons make after dis-engaging from the rotors? i also get a loud thump when i slam the brakes in the snow...anyone else have this?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sometimes i hear a big thump when i let the e-brake down....i'm assuming this is the noise the caliper pistons make after dis-engaging from the rotors? i also get a loud thump when i slam the brakes in the snow...anyone else have this?
i've had this, in the owners manual is does mention something about not using the e-brake to hold your car when its really cold out, because it can freeze on. so i would guess that when its frozen and you release the brake and then attempt to drive it breaks loose. theh manual says to leave the car in reverse or 1st if the temperture gets really cold.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had the same with the e-brake. Quick question, does the outside temperature gauge reads below zero? Somehow it looks like it doesn't.

-d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts