IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was sitting at a redlight turning into a mall parking lot. A lady hit me from behind doing less than 5mph. It didn't even move the car, it just sounded like someone shut the trunk door hard or something. Upon inspection I found that there was one circular impression (From her Front Tag bolt) and a few small nicks/Scratches in the paint... It is on the passenger side of the bumper and the scratched area isn't more than 3" total. However, I'm a really picky person and I cant stand knowing that my bumper is scratched. The lady has insurance and we both use the same company (Allstate) The officers estimated under $500.00 in damage.. so what would you guys do? I will go crazy knowing that the scratches are there, so should I have the bumper painted? if so will they be able to match the blue? Can I get a bumper from Subaru Pre-Painted from the factory? if so how much would that be? I'm just kind of irritated right now. I haven't had my car for 2 weeks and already some careless dumbass decides to drive into the back of it while playing with her cell phone. Thanks for any help. Here is a pic of the main damage. There is also a small scratch right on the lip of the bumper right beside where the license plate mounts. Also, I'm out of town until next friday, but, I'd like to get the ball rolling on this first thing monday to get it fixed ASAP..

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bummer. I'd probably live with it, but that's just me. You should probably get a couple estimates. I don't think color matching will be a problem with a quality body shop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have a friend that owns a local body shop in The Tri-Cities... I'll probably call him monday and get an estimate over the phone, It aggravates me more than anything, and I know that if I don't fix it, i'll stop and look at it everytime i'm behind the car and it'll just drive me crazy..
I have the worst luck. When I got my S4 I let my girlfriend drive it on the second day, and she hit one of those yellow poles on our college campus... cost me over $1K for that one

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, That piece of foam in the rear bumper.. can you move it with your hand or should it be firmly mounted? I can move mine up an inch or so by hand and I didn't know if this was normal?

·
Registered
270 Posts
FYI: Calling in sick

damn that sucks man, i had mine for less than a week and when i let the DEALER detail it they put a dint in the rear pass. door. but they fixed it. i would check w/ EM collision, they fixed my wife's civic when a lady did damn near the same thing to her car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks bro, will have to do that. I have a friend that owns a body shop in JC, so I'll let him look at it, but, I will also check with EM. I'll have to wait and see what Allstate says, but, after cooling down I've realized how minor it really is. The whole scratched area is less than 2" accross. It just looked much worse when I was really mad. I guess that these things happen to all of us though. I hope to get it fixed soon though.

·
Registered
759 Posts
She hit you from behind. It is her fault and it should cost you nothing. It was perfect and I would make it so again {Unless she is a friend with benifits}.

That is how the law works around here. YMMV due to state regulations, ect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't agree with you more hummer. My thoughts exactly. I hope it is perfect again. Is the blue hard to match?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Well, it will cost you something if you have a deductible. But do get it fixed. First off, I'm like you, if the car was some beater, who cares, but this is your sti. Secondly, the bumpers can do their job and apparently not be damaged, but may in fact do so. Next time you get hit, there could be the possibility that the bumper does not absorb the full amount of impact that it is meant to and more damage to your car or yourself might result. That's just my own opinion, I don't know that for fact.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am not sure about TN, but here in ON, if the accident is caused by someone else's fault, you don't pay your deductible -- that someone else does. Naturally, if I were Liquidr1, I'd have it fixed ASAP by a reputable body shop at _her_ expense.

·
Registered
49 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Well, it will cost you something if you have a deductible. But do get it fixed. First off, I'm like you, if the car was some beater, who cares, but this is your sti. Secondly, the bumpers can do their job and apparently not be damaged, but may in fact do so. Next time you get hit, there could be the possibility that the bumper does not absorb the full amount of impact that it is meant to and more damage to your car or yourself might result. That's just my own opinion, I don't know that for fact.
If she was cited and at fault, you would pay your deductible up front, and then the insurance companies are done battleing it out, you'd get refunded, depending on the % you were deemed at fault. Being the same insurance company should make it easier. If she is 100% at fault, you'll get your entire deductible refunded (I'm 100% sure of this, as I'm still dealing with paperwork and money from my Cobra deal.)

The last time a woman backed into me (in my 97 Cobra) I was 30% at fault, so I got back 70% of my deductible (the percentage is what the company(ies) decide on a settlement between them).

·
Registered
530 Posts
i agree with hummer, anything to get it back to the origanal condition shouldn't cost you a penny, you deserve your car the way it was the way you had it before some careless dumbass hits it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update...

I'm now back home from florida, my friend who owns a body shop said that he can fix the scratches by Airbrushing and that you will not be able to tell that it ever happened. It's gonna cost less than $50.00 :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Black one at AT&T in bothell?

That's great! Have you determined that there was no internal damage?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah, just have him check to make sure the bumper wasn't compressed and then sprung back out. Sometimes when that happens you have to replace them as they will not absorb the shock of another bump correctly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, he said it was cosmetic only. The impact was most likely 1-2mph at the most as it didn't even move the car. The impact made less noise than shutting one of the rear doors. his only question, since he has never worked on a new STI, was about the piece of foam that is visible above the lic plate. Should he be able to move it slightly by hand or should it be fixed in place and not moveable.. Could someone go try to move theirs and let me know, I'd really appreciate it....

Thanks for all of the helpful info guys, you are much appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Changing to Synthetic Oils...We need your input

Liquidr1 said:
yeah, he said it was cosmetic only. The impact was most likely 1-2mph at the most as it didn't even move the car. The impact made less noise than shutting one of the rear doors. his only question, since he has never worked on a new STI, was about the piece of foam that is visible above the lic plate. Should he be able to move it slightly by hand or should it be fixed in place and not moveable.. Could someone go try to move theirs and let me know, I'd really appreciate it....

Thanks for all of the helpful info guys, you are much appreciated.
Yes, it moves on mine as well. Perfectly normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts