IW STi Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
I too have this exhaust and love it. A little louder than stock but the tone is definitely more impressive than any other exhaust that I've heard. I'm still waiting for my ELH to come back from swaintech so I can finally put everything else on and get my tune.

On a side note anyone else with a 2015 sti have this exhaust yet? please chime in on fitment. My passanger side muffler is kind of slanted inwards and I wanted to see if it's just me or it's the acutal exhaust. I've tried adjusting it but to no avail. My next attempt is changing out the stock hangers. I've contacted the vendor I purchased it from and Milltek says there is nothing wrong and that I need to adjust again.

If anyone in SO CAL wants to hear the exhaust in person just PM me and We can meet and go for a ride. Again this exhaust is well worth the price and keeps the car quiet, but still manages to put a smile on my face.
Where in SoCal are you located? I've been looking for this CBE for a while to replace my Fujitsubo but was never sure about the sound and what not. I am in the OC area by the 405 and 5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my Milltek catback installed on my 2011 STI hatchback
Fit is perfect and inside the cab seems to be same noise as OEM.
My Killer B header comes back from coating in a week so that will be my next project.

Mann Engineering only lists Turboback systems now so they had it shipped direct from UK
Got here way faster than expected.

So far I am really happy with the results.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Had my Milltek catback installed a week or so ago and really happy with the sound. Replaced a Q300 that was just unbearable. Running a Crawford downpipe and a Dom 3. A little loud on initial startup but quiets down to almost OEM very quickly as it warms up. No drone during normal driving. Still busy breaking in new engine, so cannot speak to WOT but thus far I am very happy with the results. Thank you very much to OP for posting and letting us know about this option!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my Milltek catback installed on my 2011 STI hatchback
Fit is perfect and inside the cab seems to be same noise as OEM.
My Killer B header comes back from coating in a week so that will be my next project.

Mann Engineering only lists Turboback systems now so they had it shipped direct from UK
Got here way faster than expected.

So far I am really happy with the results.
How are you enjoying it so far? Have you tried other catbacks in the past?

I've gone through a bunch of catbacks and have been pretty unsatisfied, I emailed mann and they seem to only have a sedan to demo. For how much the milltek costs, I really want to hear it first before placing an order.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Without further ado, here are the videos long in the making. What I found is that the exhaust is louder, not softer than life. So you get a really good idea for what it sounds like though realize it is a bit tamer. It's because I have full bushings so the driveline whine kind of joins the exhaust note. But pay attention to my speech, my radar detector chirps, and background noise for a comparison and you'll see that the Milltek exhaust is not meaningfully louder than any of those. So in the search to find an exhaust that works well with ELH that doesn't rasp, drone or fart, Milltek does a really nice job.

Milltek Catback on a Subaru GR WRX STi - YouTube

Milltek Catback on a Subaru GR WRX STi (2) - YouTube

Thanks again for posting a thorough review and videos. I still have this exhaust on my list. It's definitely pricey, but the exhaust embodies the majority of our driving experience for that sense (of sound/hearing), so in the end I think it's probably worth it. I live out in BFE now so I feel bad for the few people around when I roll out early in the morning and rumble by their home. Plus, I'm still quite dead set on ELH so there's no way I can keep the SPT anyway.

The point of this reply though was to ask something. I went back and looked through the youtube page and a good chunk of this thread, but I couldn't find if you mentioned the intake you were using when you made the videos?

It seems like you had a good sound from that without it being ridiculously loud, similar to the new exhaust. I'm curious about something like the AEM intake, but I am concerned about filtering capabilities. It would be nice to gain some space in the engine bay and theoretically have air pulled from a cooler area (not convinced it will be any cooler than stock airbox) - but I live on a gravel road out in the woods, so dust is a big concern. I change my stock filters out about every 10k because I consider it cheap insurance, and where I live the car can be covered in dust pretty quickly without even driving it.

At any rate, I'm curious which intake you are/were running and how you like it. I know you might not be able to comment much on the dust etc but is it easy to clean yours, etc?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am curious about this too. I am running a Cobb SF intake and box and recently had to do a fair bit of driving on a gravel road with lots of dust and it made me wonder what maintenance I need to be doing as a preventative measure.

Upate of the exhaust... still very happy. I have had it for about a year now. Changed to ELH and installed an EWG. The exhaust is still awesome. Deep throaty sound but not too load by any means. No drone at all at any speed/rpm. At WOT all you hear inside the car is the EWG, so its difficult to say if the exhaust loudness changed much, but I would say its probably still very consistent with what it was originally. Deep and business-like but not irritating or offensive in any way. Not that I can say the same of the EWG though...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Haha ironic that you like the milltek but went EWG. I see that AEM sells "filter wraps"'which are basically filter socks. I'm hopeful if I ran something like that and cleaned it every oil change I could get away with going like 20k before deep cleaning the actual filter, but that may be wishful thinking.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Haha ironic that you like the milltek but went EWG. I see that AEM sells "filter wraps"'which are basically filter socks. I'm hopeful if I ran something like that and cleaned it every oil change I could get away with going like 20k before deep cleaning the actual filter, but that may be wishful thinking.

Haha, I know right . The nice part of it is that I can be reasonably stealthy if I want to be, and while driving in the neighborhood also not upset the neighbors (more importantly, the wife), but when I want to get on it, then that option is there as well

I will look into the AEM sock. When I asked the folks at IAG about filter maintenance they brushed it off that it is not a big deal and nothing to worry about, so I am not too concerned. Thought I'd have a look during the next oil change, which is coming up soon, to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Maybe if the particles are small enough to remain airborne all the way into the engine then they aren't big enough to cause problems. But I just figure it's kind of nuts to be so anal about frequent oil changes but potentially contaminate everything right through the intake tract

·
Registered
124 Posts
SO I've had my Milltek on for about two years now and I can say it has gotten a little louder to me at least but not loud like some of the other exhausts out there. It's still the same deep exhaust sound but just a little louder. I am also running full-race 1.5 scroll ELH and an AEM intake and I can hear the intake over the exhaust if that sheds some light on how quiet the exhaust is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know this string is old, but hoping for some feedback anyway. :)

I have a '16 STI that is stock except for AWE Touring cat back and a Cobb catted downpipe. Prior to the DP install the AWE CB was tolerable, but pushing the volume limit for me. Now with the DP installed it is too loud.

I am seriously thinking about getting the Milltek CB as it seem like the solution I am looking for. Does it bolt directly to the Cobb DP (stock fitting) or is an adapter needed?

I read through this whole string, but am unclear of where the Milltek fits as far a volume compared to stock STI and the SPT performance exhaust with a 3"DP. Would the SPT be a good quiet (much cheaper) option?

Lastly, since this string is kind of old are there any other new options on the market that are quiet to consider?

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not sure about the options for the 2016, but I would think they are essentially the same. The Cobb DP on the earlier model went from 3” down to 2.5” at the flange. The Milltek is 3” straight through and this may or may not impact installation. For me it bolted on no problem and I still love it. As most folks mentioned it is a little louder now vs when it was new but still awesome.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure about the options for the 2016, but I would think they are essentially the same. The Cobb DP on the earlier model went from 3” down to 2.5” at the flange. The Milltek is 3” straight through and this may or may not impact installation. For me it bolted on no problem and I still love it. As most folks mentioned it is a little louder now vs when it was new but still awesome.
Thanks for your feedback. The Cobb DP for the '16 has the OEM style flange. Would need something like a Grimmspeed stock DP to aftermarket 3" adapter for the Milltek CB?

If your opinion is the Subaru SPT CB louder or quieter than the Milltek CB? I may pickup a used SPT while I shop around for a Milltek.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I know this string is old, but hoping for some feedback anyway. :)

I have a '16 STI that is stock except for AWE Touring cat back and a Cobb catted downpipe. Prior to the DP install the AWE CB was tolerable, but pushing the volume limit for me. Now with the DP installed it is too loud.

I am seriously thinking about getting the Milltek CB as it seem like the solution I am looking for. Does it bolt directly to the Cobb DP (stock fitting) or is an adapter needed?

I read through this whole string, but am unclear of where the Milltek fits as far a volume compared to stock STI and the SPT performance exhaust with a 3"DP. Would the SPT be a good quiet (much cheaper) option?

Lastly, since this string is kind of old are there any other new options on the market that are quiet to consider?

Thanks

Remember a lot of these threads are mixed with owners of different generations. The OP has a GR hatch which is what I also have. For us, it's a larger single muffler piece instead of two individual mufflers.

I never had just the SPT with my downpipe as I installed Killer B ELH at the same time, but I find ELH + DP + Milltek to be a bit quieter than stock + SPT. It is WAY quieter than ELH + DP + SPT and sounds infinitely better.

If you are even considering an ELH, do yourself a favor and pass on the SPT.

The Milltek for the GR is still very audible and to me still sounds louder than I'd expect an OEM to be, though I think the WRX/STI is a little louder than average even fully stock. You can still clearly hear a distinctive exhaust note when near the car, it's just that I don't hear it many blocks away as was once the case.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Remember a lot of these threads are mixed with owners of different generations. The OP has a GR hatch which is what I also have. For us, it's a larger single muffler piece instead of two individual mufflers.

I never had just the SPT with my downpipe as I installed Killer B ELH at the same time, but I find ELH + DP + Milltek to be a bit quieter than stock + SPT. It is WAY quieter than ELH + DP + SPT and sounds infinitely better.

If you are even considering an ELH, do yourself a favor and pass on the SPT.

The Milltek for the GR is still very audible and to me still sounds louder than I'd expect an OEM to be, though I think the WRX/STI is a little louder than average even fully stock. You can still clearly hear a distinctive exhaust note when near the car, it's just that I don't hear it many blocks away as was once the case.

Perfect summary. My thoughts exactly.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts