IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hmmmm. Interesting. I'm surprised the corsa was that loud. I won't be upgrading my turbo so perhaps that will make it less loud compared with what you did. The video I linked is without turbo upgrade I believe and seems pretty reasonable

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Up until the upgrade, it was. It might be something unique to my build as others have it and I haven't heard of anyone else with a 105 db cold start which is just obscene.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Up until the upgrade, it was. It might be something unique to my build as others have it and I haven't heard of anyone else with a 105 db cold start which is just obscene.
You're saying the turbo upgrade made it louder? Funny but I wouldn't expect that all other things being equal

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Yup the Corsa is loud on startup because the cold, dense exhaust air hasn't warmed up enough for the baffles to do their job. A bigger turbo I guess would have more air going through it at idle so it could make it louder. You can quickly remedy it by tapping the throttle to get rid of the cold, fast idle. Doing so will quickly drop the rpms to 1.5k and quiet it down a lot :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I too have this exhaust and love it. A little louder than stock but the tone is definitely more impressive than any other exhaust that I've heard. I'm still waiting for my ELH to come back from swaintech so I can finally put everything else on and get my tune.

On a side note anyone else with a 2015 sti have this exhaust yet? please chime in on fitment. My passanger side muffler is kind of slanted inwards and I wanted to see if it's just me or it's the acutal exhaust. I've tried adjusting it but to no avail. My next attempt is changing out the stock hangers. I've contacted the vendor I purchased it from and Milltek says there is nothing wrong and that I need to adjust again.

If anyone in SO CAL wants to hear the exhaust in person just PM me and We can meet and go for a ride. Again this exhaust is well worth the price and keeps the car quiet, but still manages to put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Will you be running ELH and catless DP or Catted DP with this?

I would LOVE to hear this but I am in NC :(

A good video with sound clip would be very much appreciated!
Cold start and warmed up if possible.

I too have this exhaust and love it. A little louder than stock but the tone is definitely more impressive than any other exhaust that I've heard. I'm still waiting for my ELH to come back from swaintech so I can finally put everything else on and get my tune.

On a side note anyone else with a 2015 sti have this exhaust yet? please chime in on fitment. My passanger side muffler is kind of slanted inwards and I wanted to see if it's just me or it's the acutal exhaust. I've tried adjusting it but to no avail. My next attempt is changing out the stock hangers. I've contacted the vendor I purchased it from and Milltek says there is nothing wrong and that I need to adjust again.

If anyone in SO CAL wants to hear the exhaust in person just PM me and We can meet and go for a ride. Again this exhaust is well worth the price and keeps the car quiet, but still manages to put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Will you be running ELH and catless DP or Catted DP with this?

I would LOVE to hear this but I am in NC :(

A good video with sound clip would be very much appreciated!
Cold start and warmed up if possible.
once I get my headers back and everything installed I'll definitely get a vid and sound clips. I'll do before install and after with cold start, warmed up, cruising and WOT.

Oh and I will be running Tomei ELH and Tomei catless DP, AEM CAI, ID1300CC, FP undecided, grimspeed EBCS, ETC, ETC... I'll post a parts list and dyno plots once I get tuned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys, help a newcomer out here....

What is ELH/ULH? I've tried searching and am coming up blank.

On topic, I am 95% sold on this exhaust... despite the high price tag. I've been planning on marrying it up to a catted DP but am now leaning towards the catless version based on this thread alone. I just bought my "new" 2011 hatch a couple weeks ago and am happily putting together a shopping list. Believe it or not, my first mod was blind-spot mirrors. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Perfect. Thank you.

My plan isn't to make a huge HP car. I just traded my '13 Genesis Coupe 3.8 for this car because I got tired of fighting winter with a rear wheel drive car. I seriously miss that car. I just want more grunt to match the power I lose going from the GC to the STi.

My plan is currently, CBE, DP, CAI and Cobb tune. This thread was found during my search for a quieter exhaust. I'm too old to understand the need for a really loud exhaust.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Guys, help a newcomer out here....

What is ELH/ULH? I've tried searching and am coming up blank.

On topic, I am 95% sold on this exhaust... despite the high price tag. I've been planning on marrying it up to a catted DP but am now leaning towards the catless version based on this thread alone. I just bought my "new" 2011 hatch a couple weeks ago and am happily putting together a shopping list. Believe it or not, my first mod was blind-spot mirrors. :D
ELH --> Equal Length Header (Non to very mild rumble in exhaust sound)
ULH --> Unequal Length Header (Subaru iconic rumble in exhaust sound)

Had ULH on my 04 STI for 4yrs and loved it
I now have ELH on my 15 STI and LOVE IT!!

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Question for Toivonen, since you seem to be so well acquainted with the Milltek exhaust..

Over the last couple year I have received 3 exhaust tickets for my q300.
Today I had my day in court to contest the first of the exhaust tickets (yes, the Quebec
court system is not known for its punctuality).

I won in one respect, in that I demonstrated that there was no proof done to demonstrate my car was louder than a stock STI (no decibel reading done), and had the ticket reduced by half. However, this was still a loss to me, as I had to pay anything; technically I was still guilty of an absurd article in the Quebec highway code, that states that the tip of the muffler exhaust must be at least 2 inches away from the bumper. At least half the cars on the road, un-modified, must be guilty of this. What a clown court, and a law clearly designed to make money via silly tickets...

Anyway... lol, that said, my car is in the shop now having a long list of mods installed. The exhaust is being worked on as well.

I am not so interested in the Milltek, as the price is pretty insane (and I've already dropped my load on an IAG shortblock, rotated efr 7163 setup and all the supporting mods), but my shop is pretty great with exhaust mods.

What are the key elements to Milltek's silent, yet supposedly as good as any 3inch exhaust, system?
Is it 4 little resonators within the exhaust tips? A larger resonator at the midpipe? I would like my shop to replicate the Milltek's silence, while preserving power output of my q300.

Let me know your thoughts...Thnx :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks for the review and videos. Opinions on exhaust are very much subjective, so the videos are great for truly registering how loud a setup is.

There are SO many different combos out there, it's hard to know if you changed one thing if the sound would still be okay. I.E. people with the setup I THINK i want, but wait they have the Q300 which I think will be too loud.

Are you pretty satisfied with the DD driveability of your setup? I'm quite pleased with the sound and it seems like the volume level is good too. I have the SPT CBE and otherwise stock right now, and I'm looking to stay around that same level - a LITTLE louder or slightly quieter would be fine with me. It seems like the ELH sort of makes up for the slightly later spool you would otherwise experience with the Dom1.5 vs stock? I'm planning to go stage 2 with ELH first, but when it's time to refresh the block and turbo I'm leaning toward the Dom1.5, so basically I think I'd pretty much be mirroring your setup. It seems to sound great and also have plenty of power without being a pain to DD.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thanks for the review and videos. Opinions on exhaust are very much subjective, so the videos are great for truly registering how loud a setup is.

There are SO many different combos out there, it's hard to know if you changed one thing if the sound would still be okay. I.E. people with the setup I THINK i want, but wait they have the Q300 which I think will be too loud.

Are you pretty satisfied with the DD driveability of your setup? I'm quite pleased with the sound and it seems like the volume level is good too. I have the SPT CBE and otherwise stock right now, and I'm looking to stay around that same level - a LITTLE louder or slightly quieter would be fine with me. It seems like the ELH sort of makes up for the slightly later spool you would otherwise experience with the Dom1.5 vs stock? I'm planning to go stage 2 with ELH first, but when it's time to refresh the block and turbo I'm leaning toward the Dom1.5, so basically I think I'd pretty much be mirroring your setup. It seems to sound great and also have plenty of power without being a pain to DD.
I'm guessing if you have an SPT right now and are happy with the volume, then the Milltek would be too quiet for your tastes. SPT is a good bit louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hmm. I could live with a little quieter, particularly on cold starts and when getting on it. Even though the SPT isn't that loud, I feel like I'm asking for it if I rev past 4500. But yeah, I'd rather it be a little louder than the standard oem. Sort of the way a lot of infinity cars allow you to hear the exhaust note but it's not in your face.

Hmmm maybe SPT is a better bet, but I wonder how it sounds with ELH and downpipe. And my eventual plan involves a 8cm dom1.5, so I wonder if the spt will be too restrictive?

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
no

no cause my response was to short without more

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
no

no cause my response was to short without more

Hahaha I didn't get this when I read it the first time haha. Well played

Thanks to both of you for the responses. That's consistent w what I've read. Plus, although YouTube videos aren't true to life, the milltek still sounds better to me. I'm willing to give up some volume, I will not have a fart pipe sound on my car, especially not a loud one. And I'm pretty dead set on the elh once I start getting serious.

Some ppl apparently run the milltek w.o the resonator but I guess it's too loud then? Probably doesn't sound great either. I'll prob run the milltek as it comes and be done w it. I'll be even older by then anyway

61 - 80 of 96 Posts