IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
My HM exhaust was loud all the time and got exponentially more annoying when I did upgrade the headwork/turbo. To me the Corsa is not annoying at all for daily driving, quieter, and way more tolerable than the HM exhaust. However, during spirited driving, I love the Corsa sound because that is when I really want to hear my upgraded cams and turbo sing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great write-up Toivonen. Thanks for the detailed review. I've been shopping around for a quieter exhaust myself. I'm currently running Tomei UELH with an Invidia catted DP and Q300 quad tip on my 2008 GR. I really liked it for awhile. It was fun and mean, but now I'm a bit tired of the boomy nature of my setup and don't appreciate the unwanted attention when I open it up. I've had quite a few cops fly up and follow me for awhile after hearing (not seeing) me do a WOT pull. After a long trip I truly appreciate the sound of the car being off for awhile. It also makes my wife's ears ring.

I'm planning on switching to ELH when I finally upgrade from the stock turbo. This one will be high on my list of potential exhaust replacements.

I was poking around on Milltek's site looking for fitment and pricing. Did you go with just the cat back (SSXSB017)? I didn't find any pricing info, so I guess I'll have to find a distributor nearby.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My HM exhaust was loud all the time and got exponentially more annoying when I did upgrade the headwork/turbo. To me the Corsa is not annoying at all for daily driving, quieter, and way more tolerable than the HM exhaust. However, during spirited driving, I love the Corsa sound because that is when I really want to hear my upgraded cams and turbo sing.
The Corsa is definitely quieter than something really over the top like the Tomei Expreme cat back, and I can see how people like it, but if one is looking for an exhaust that is quiet and about as loud as stock, it does not fit the bill. If I had to pick if it were loud or not and just one like on certain surveys where they want either "yes or no" and no in between, I would lump Corsa with the "loud" exhausts vs a quiet one. The videos all are very similar and I had good mechanics all agreeing it was not installed incorrectly or with a leak. I just think that Subaru drivers in general tend to favor louder exhausts which is fine, but for Subaru drivers who don't want something really loud, they should look for something else.

The one thing with Milltek that I really like is that it is actually slightly quieter than stock with the ELH setup, but perhaps unlike the Tanabe Touring Medallion, it flows the full 3", and more importantly, despite being more or less like stock, also makes everything "sing" like how you'd want it, well maybe 10% less than what might be truly "fun". Still, this is enough to be satisfied and so well that legal problems will not find you; or you can lower the windows, then it sounds lovely (hence Kmanz's comment about it being louder than expected). It's still fairly new because my car was snowed in, but just the whole afternoon running errands, driving it and taking videos it seems to sound better and better with use so maybe the initial "flatness" that I reported is going away. If one is wondering, check out both videos, the second one taken later in the day definitely sounds more aggressive.

And that's the overriding theme of this post, you don't have to be louder than stock to be more fun. Would it be even more fun it if were louder? Yes, but only by a little. It doesn't need to be loud, but it still remains entertaining enough as evidenced by the videos.

I am planning on bringing my gopro on board for a good follow up video if it keeps "breaking in" and sounding more interesting, but more importantly, I want to video my first autocross, probably in late March or early April so one can hear it driven in anger in a place where there are no speed limits. That way the viewer will be able to see the speed/RPM for a good long burst at WOT without worrying about google/youtube reporting me for illegal behavior or exceeding the speed limit and all that cacca.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thank you for your well written write up of the Milltek exhaust. I am looking to replace my Q300. It was great during its first few weeks after installation. But now, it drones inside the cabin on the highway under load. On top of this, the fitment is poor and this is supposedly the re-designed Q300 for the 2015 STI. It rattles and it squeals. Worst of it all is working with Invidia for defect/warranty claim. It has been a nightmare for me. I have wasted my resources working with them over this.

Never again Invidia! :mad:

I really liked your effort in describing its sound and its loudness. The only thing about this is exhaust is its price point. But at this time, having dealt with Invidia, I think I may just shell out the money. It may just be the exhaust I'm looking for.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If quiet is wanted with 3" flow, would it be a lot cheaper to have a shop fab a 3" pipe to the stock muffler?

I'm honestly asking if this is an option since I have an HM but considering ELH eventually. But don't want to lose the 3" flow.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
If quiet is wanted with 3" flow, would it be a lot cheaper to have a shop fab a 3" pipe to the stock muffler?

I'm honestly asking if this is an option since I have an HM but considering ELH eventually. But don't want to lose the 3" flow.
I actually initially got a 3" midpipe and kept the stock muffler after I upgraded the turbo. It was the worst mistake of my life. What I thought would have been quiet became 100% rasp. I think the increased flow overwhelmed the stock axleback muffler :lol: That day I picked up my car JJ told me something along the lines of "your car is a million bucks with the rotated kit, but it sounds like a Honda" :lol: Subsequently that forced my hand to buy an actual catback.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well not to bump this whole debate, but i installed my nameless exhaust yesterday.. and took it off immediately..

Even the 5 inch mufflers which are supposed to be quiet..Raspy city..

I just ordered the COBB catback, i really hope this is a good combo with my ELH, as i have heard that it is very tame..

I can't explain how frustrated I am right now with exhausts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm about to add ELH and 3" catted DP and get a new custom tune. Planning on seeing how it is with the stock exhaust. Sure hope that won't be a raspy combo. Anyone care to estimate how much HP keeping the stock exhaust will cost me, compared to topping off these upgrades with a 3" like the Milltek?

Quiet is important enough to me that I'd probably have to go Milltek if I go 3" exhaust. But could be tough to go that brand, all bad experiences with my Audis

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
OK so I finally have true DB level readings. With these discussions my mechanic Tom Downes of Wicked Performance Group who advised me with dismay about his opinion regarding the Corsa exhaust suggested I measure the dB of my Milltek for comparison. He is a physics major turned mechanic, and since he had a project in the fall, his father who is a high school Physics teacher posesses an OSHA certified and rated sound level meter.

I used an Extech Instruments Digital Sound LEvel Meter Model 407740. IT comes in a serious looking box the size of a small hangun or pistol case that more or less opens and works like one with foam and various accessories including a plugin for smartphones, computers and an additional microphone if using as a recording device for other electronics.

It has features such as Weighting in 2 modes, "A" which is the equivalent sound intensity as heard by the human ear because the eardrum and hearing system transmits certain frequencies into the inner ear more or less with a greater or lesser intensity. Therefore since some frequencies transmit better, the same external loudness that is better transmitted and more preserved in loudness is more damaging to the internal ear. This is how OSHA weights their testing, and the mode I used. The other mode equally weighs all frequencies across the board ("C"). I did not use this mode.

There is another switch on this meter that gives the user 3 dB ranges to "tune" and calibrate this meter, 30-80, 50-100 and 80-130+. You are supposed to pick the mode based on the anticipated sound level. I chose 50-100 given the expected loudness of my car. More on that later but this range is spot on.

Lastly there is a "response" or duration button that allows the user to choose between a slow change in intensity and a more fine mode that will detect very rapid, short lived bursts of loudness. Because the latter is not as harmful to the ear, OSHA testing is done with the "slow" mode that ignores rapid, short lived bursts of louder noise.

So, pray you tell, were my results? With Intake, ported TGV's, Dom 1.5, DP with a catalytic converter mated to the masterful Milltek, here are the results. They were taken on a 50' ambient temp day on startup. While driving my wife (150lbs) and my two children (65lbs each) as well as sport car seats (15lbs ea), four jackets and a purse were in the car (guess). This is a fairly decent, but not huge engine load. The 110 km/hr or 70mph readings were taken on a flat straightaway.

Also keep in mind that I have a fully modified suspension from 8k/8k springs (Causing lots of squeaks and rattles despite the opulent ride and damping from AST 5100's), Vorschlag camber plates, full Super Pro bushings and inserts and pitch stop everywhere except Group N motor and transmission mounts.

Cold startup 4 feet from exhaust pipes: 84dB in the time it took to turn the key and jump out of the car behind. It quickly settled down to 79-80dB.

Startup inside car after taking readings for 30 seconds: 65-66dB

Cruise at 70mph: 74-76dB

Slight acceleration: 79-80dB (see later comment)*

Full throttle in 4th 70 to 100+ mph. This was done another occasion on a closed track with just me in the car and a set of barbells and weights in the trunk equal to 350lbs. I Asked the wonderful folks at Thompson Speedway to let me in recently just as the snow melted for this test alone and since they were doing other stuff on the track I was allowed in free of charge. And it was only a few seconds not to be repeated: 84-85db

So as you can see and hear, despite significant exhaust work, the Milltek is only about 5dB louder than a totally stock STi with similar driveline mounts. 5dB is quite a bit, I am not minimizing the change of 5dB, but 75dB is still close to stock like. I have certain sources that say the 100% stock STi at 110km/hr or 70mph is 70-75dB at cruise. So I am not an asshole spewing shit when I express an opinion that despite all the other work on the car, Milltek is stocklike in cruise noise.

*My other comment about the Milltek is that the noise reaches a plateau. Unlike a louder exhaust, say like the Corsa where every little bit of gas gives you more and more noise in a logarithmic fashion, the Milltek gets initially somewhat louder, then stops. Case in point, if cruise is 74-76dB, and slight acceleration is 79-80dB, say only a few mm of gas pedal, that is a quick increase in loudness. Say 5-10% throttle to 15-20% max throttle gives you a 5dB increase in loudness. But from 15-20% to floored gives you another 4-5dB even as you wind up through the revs screeching to redline. So my impression that the Milltek, after a certain point of throttle, engine load, RPM or power doesn't get significantly louder, and that it gets louder early on is confirmed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I told you you would like this exhaust. I'm liking it more and more, over time when it goes thru many heat cycles it starts sounding even better, slightly louder and more refined.
I have a couple of videos I'm going to post in a few weeks, recently I got a video on the dyno but the EWG killed the sound. I'm also getting re-tuned with a catless downpipe so there will be a dyno comparo of catted vs catless, and maybe another one with supertrapp muffler on the wastegate.

·
Super Moderator
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I told you you would like this exhaust. I'm liking it more and more, over time when it goes thru many heat cycles it starts sounding even better, slightly louder and more refined.
I have a couple of videos I'm going to post in a few weeks, recently I got a video on the dyno but the EWG killed the sound. I'm also getting re-tuned with a catless downpipe so there will be a dyno comparo of catted vs catless, and maybe another one with supertrapp muffler on the wastegate.
Thank you, I appreciated the recommendation.

It does get louder over time, but we're talking, at least subjectively and from my opinion, barely perceptably louder. My initial feeling was that I would have liked it to be slightly louder and/or more aggressive sounding. I wasn't saying this to split hairs or to sound like Goldilocks with "too cold, too warm, too soft too hard", but only to give the best and most accurate description possible to give a potential buyer the best idea without hearing it in person.

But with use and break in, the tone gets more complex and it gets slightly louder. Honestly I would change nothing about it now. It's pretty much exactly what I would want the car to sound like. Yes, opinions are like assholes, and most people turn into assholes when they spew theirs etc, but other family guys with professional jobs who wanted something more toned down and felt the same way I did about so many other exhausts have liked this exhaust as well. The list of such cat backs that fit the bill for STi's is not that long, so to save future prospective buyers from wasting all the money and time "playing the cat back game", this under-rated exhaust deserves consideration. Obviously not everyone will like it, but it's a viable option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks - based on the threads about Milltek and Toivonen's info & experience with it I decided to take the plunge and try Milltek's catback out ('12 WRX hatch, EL headers & catted downpipe) and -

Couldn't be happier! Quality and fit are excellent, easiest cat back install solo I've ever done, it fit up really well. And, no longer worrying about if I'm too loud or not - it was really the rasp I had, once the EL headers were on, with my previous set up that I wasn't happy with. Been about 3 weeks now with the Milltek, still has a nice bassy tone but not too loud and doesn't seem to restrict the flow anymore than my previous setup did. Little pricier than other options but worth it to me. So nice to be able to just enjoy driving again without the rasp.

I hadn't heard of Milltek before and wouldn't have without Toivonen and iWSTI.com and this thread - so thank you - much appreciated!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks - based on the threads about Milltek and Toivonen's info & experience with it I decided to take the plunge and try Milltek's catback out ('12 WRX hatch, EL headers & catted downpipe) and -

Couldn't be happier! Quality and fit are excellent, easiest cat back install solo I've ever done, it fit up really well. And, no longer worrying about if I'm too loud or not - it was really the rasp I had, once the EL headers were on, with my previous set up that I wasn't happy with. Been about 3 weeks now with the Milltek, still has a nice bassy tone but not too loud and doesn't seem to restrict the flow anymore than my previous setup did. Little pricier than other options but worth it to me. So nice to be able to just enjoy driving again without the rasp.

I hadn't heard of Milltek before and wouldn't have without Toivonen and iWSTI.com and this thread - so thank you - much appreciated!
Did you find a U.S. distributor? Looked a bit and all I'm seeing are UK and European sites.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you find a U.S. distributor? Looked a bit and all I'm seeing are UK and European sites.
Check out Mann Engineering and LIC Motorsports. Only US companies Ive seen with it. Really want this system but I'm gonna wait and see if there's ever a sale:lol:doubt it

·
Registered
827 Posts
Check out Mann Engineering and LIC Motorsports. Only US companies Ive seen with it. Really want this system but I'm gonna wait and see if there's ever a sale:lol:doubt it

Awesome, thank you. Yeah, think I can agree with that sentiment; at the very least I'll wait till I see how Killer B's headers sound with the Borla Hush. Someday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, as CSC says, Mann Engineering and LIC Motorsports were the only 2 I found too. I got mine from Mann, and they had it in stock. Definitely on the pricey side, but does look really well made to me, heh and after placing the order, I was so relieved it worked out like I wanted :p

Good luck -

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'm currently looking into pricing and availability for this too. I thought it was pricey from those two and so I called up all the local milltek dealers and my first response on the last phone call, for example was, "That's like for the whole turboback right?" "No, just the catback"... Sheesh. Almost tempted to find a true stock exhaust used and try that... except they're ugly.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ok, so I ended up buying the Milltek Catback from LiC Motorsports. Was a pleasure dealing with them and the price wasn't "as horrendous" as elsewhere. Including shipping I probably saved over $400 versus local options. Sold my Corsa to offset some of the cost.

Mind you I'm still suffering from an injured shoulder from doing the install... my chest does NOT fit under the car near the downpipe even when the rear wheels are up on ramps so I had to hyper extend my arms to take the bolts off and put them and the new gasket back on. I recommend a friend so you don't have to hold things up with one hand and torque things with the other.

The Milltek is very high quality overall. It is visually appealing and appears to be constructed well. Cold starts are back to stock volume levels - SIGNIFICANTLY below the volume of both the SPT and the Corsa (My car doesn't rattle windows in the house any more). While cruising, it sounds nice but with subdued volume. It has absolutely zero drone across the entire RPM range.

Apparently I have an EWG as well... I wasn't aware that I did when I had the Corsa on... the Corsa sort of drowned that out. I actually /like/ my EWG now. That's only loud when I really intentionally step on it... and my EWG at 21 PSI is quieter than me attempting to pull up the hill at the end of my street at 25 mph at 6 in the morning with the Corsa on... The local constabulary have now deemed me beneath their notice one again.

If you are looking for an exhaust for your sleeper or family car or you're looking to tame in the volume, I'd highly recommend the Milltek. If you want to hear one in person and you're near Central NJ, I'll be more than glad to meet up.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts