IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While it's not the next gen STI we wanted, it appears to be the natural successor. Not much happening on the forum these days so we might as well discuss the Toyota GR Corolla as it nears North American release.

Anyone on here getting one?

Taken from Mightycardmods.com (How the GR Yaris and GR Corolla AWD system works):

The GR Yaris and Corolla use a transversely-mounted (ie: sideways) engine with a front diff that is either an open unit or Torsen limited-slip unit depending on the spec of the car. The rear diff is also either open or a Torsen LSD depending on the spec of the car.

In the rear of the drivetrain, ahead of the rear diff, is an electronically-controlled electro-magnetic multi-plate clutch pack. This isn't a centre diff, like what is found in Subarus, but something much more clever for splitting the torque between front and rear.

The electronically-controlled clutch pack (officially known as the Intelligent Torque Controlled Coupling, or ITCC) is key to the AWD system's performance, as it changes the torque split going to the front or rear depending on which of three driving modes has been selected by the dial in the cabin.

This is similar to the Haldex system used in modern Volkswagens, but Toyota claim the in-house-developed ITCC is smaller and lighter than Haldex. This is important given the huge packaging constraints that Toyota faced when adapting AWD into the Yaris platform.

In Normal driving mode the centre diff uses a 60:40 front/rear torque split, while Track mode shifts this to a 50:50 torque split, and Sport mode flips to a 30:70 torque split to lend rear-drive-style handling characteristics.

To make the AWD system work, even in 50:50 mode, the rear differential is geared 1% faster than the front, as this will allow a greater percentage of the drive force to be transmitted to the drive wheels, even when the front wheels aren't slipping.

Normal mode (60:40 split) sees the clutch plates partially compressed, permitting an amount of drive to the rear. While the four tyres turn at the same speeds, the sets of clutch plates turn at different speeds thanks to the different gear ratios between front and rear diffs, allowing the torque split to vary.

As the amount of rear-drive that is required increases (in Sport and Track modes), the compression increases on the clutch packs. The 12 pairs of clutch plates, seen below, are covered in DLC (Diamond-Like Coating) to make them super-hard-wearing. This should see a longer life for the hard-wearing plates compared to an un-coated finish.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm interested and excited to see how it goes at the local AutoX. That said I'm pretty sure that dealers are going to kill it with mark-ups, but we already know that.
I'm a former MK6 Golf R owner and was not impressed by the haldex awd. Tried the MK7 and came away lukewarm again. I do know that if you pop a diff in the front of the MK7 things improve substantially. With this having a diff front and rear I'm hoping that it's awesome.
The above said, I want these to sell like crazy and that Toyota kicks off another rampage of hot hatches and fun vehicles. Realistically? It's going to be like the Focus RS. Here for a year or three, there will be a problem that the internet makes a huge deal over, and Toyota will call it quits.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Can we talk RS3 instead? ;)

I think the GR corolla is going to be a good car out of the box. The aftermarket support is definitely there in Europe so we'll have to wait it out to see how it is over here stateside. I agree with Xpsytchrisx, it may or may not suffer the same fate as the Focus RS. Only time will tell I guess.

Personally, I just cant get behind this car. Maybe its the name, Corolla.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
RS3 has too many issues. I know of 2 who have turned them back in based on service issues.

That GR Corolla looks awesome. No, i'm not in the market but i think it's going to be a great little car. Hopefully the price doesn't kill it.
Curious of what issues. Anything in specific? Every brand has issues. Just look at ours LoL

·
Registered
191 Posts
I wish it was the Yaris from a weight standpoint but seems to be a nice “if my car explodes” backup option. The rev match part is too bad though, but maybe you can pull a fuse or something. Also the fact that there’s a 4 door that you can buy without the back seats is hilarious.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I wish it was the Yaris from a weight standpoint but seems to be a nice “if my car explodes” backup option. The rev match part is too bad though, but maybe you can pull a fuse or something. Also the fact that there’s a 4 door that you can buy without the back seats is hilarious.
Rev Matching/Heel Toe has become one of my favorite things to do while driving. Auto Rev matching that can't be turned off would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Curious of what issues. Anything in specific? Every brand has issues. Just look at ours LoL
One was in for "computer" issues. re-install, swap parts, etc., and things just never worked. constantly went into limp mode, electronics internally would just shut off, etc. They couldn't figure it out. Wouldn't give him a new car either so he got a full refund and bounced. The other had to take it in for service several times as the car claimed it needed service. They would reset, it would come on again. Nothing made sense for his either.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STi Sport-Tech
60 Posts
Agree with others here. It looks awesome, I really want it to succeed. USA dealers are gonna kill it with markups and Canadian dealers will get almost no allotments and only be sold to connected friends and insane waiting lists.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
One was in for "computer" issues. re-install, swap parts, etc., and things just never worked. constantly went into limp mode, electronics internally would just shut off, etc. They couldn't figure it out. Wouldn't give him a new car either so he got a full refund and bounced. The other had to take it in for service several times as the car claimed it needed service. They would reset, it would come on again. Nothing made sense for his either.
Electrical issues like that are typical modern german car things believe it or not. Thats what a 4 year/50K warranty is for. As long as big things arent blowing up like engines, trans, and transfercases I wont be too worried lol.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
187 Posts
Was, until I saw the insanity of trying to get one. Sounds like it's gonna be near impossible to get it with the supply numbers and all the people already in line.

But, you know... nobody buys manuals or performance cars anymore; there's no market for them /s

·
Registered
348 Posts
Was, until I saw the insanity of trying to get one. Sounds like it's gonna be near impossible to get it with the supply numbers and all the people already in line.

But, you know... nobody buys manuals or performance cars anymore; there's no market for them /s
I've been a car enthusiast since I can remember, I learned how to read on my dad's old car mags back in the 80s. Lately, new car design, the car market, BAT, and exclusivity has made me much less "enthusiastic" about cars. New cars seem just like new iPhone releases now and cars just feel like appliances lately. My interest is crashing severely. I have stacks of Motor Trend, Road & Track, and Car and Driver magazines that are just stacking up unread. The cars that are actually interesting are unattainable for the average Joe and the interesting average Joe cars are made unattainable. So what's left? Time for me to find some new interests or maybe I'm just getting old.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm interested and excited to see how it goes at the local AutoX. That said I'm pretty sure that dealers are going to kill it with mark-ups, but we already know that.
I'm a former MK6 Golf R owner and was not impressed by the haldex awd. Tried the MK7 and came away lukewarm again. I do know that if you pop a diff in the front of the MK7 things improve substantially. With this having a diff front and rear I'm hoping that it's awesome.
The above said, I want these to sell like crazy and that Toyota kicks off another rampage of hot hatches and fun vehicles. Realistically? It's going to be like the Focus RS. Here for a year or three, there will be a problem that the internet makes a huge deal over, and Toyota will call it quits.
Ford only produces RS models for 1.5 - 2 years total each run so it wasn’t due to consumers they cut it off short as they did - but….. I do agree the internet hysteria over the head gasket resulted in only a limited 2018 run. I had a 2017 and it was great.
I have a GR Corolla allocation @ MSRP at our states largest dealer. Hoping they get more than 1. I’m #2 on the list.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts